public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Ballet Theatre: Fall 2012 Season at City Center
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm 

In the New York Times, Felicia Lee reports on the Fall 2012 season at City Center, October 16-20, 2012.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Ballet Theatre: Fall 2012 Season at City Center
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:25 pm 

Pia Catton reports on the Fall Season announcement in the Wall Street Journal.

Wall Street Journal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 am 

Thanks for posting. Keep up the good work. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 pm 

The full announcement:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2012 FALL SEASON AT
NEW YORK CITY CENTER, OCTOBER 16-20,
TO FEATURE WORLD PREMIERE BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY
AND REVIVAL OF JOSÉ LIMÓN’S THE MOOR’S PAVANE

COMPANY TO CELEBRATE 70TH ANNIVERSARY OF
AGNES DE MILLE’S RODEO

American Ballet Theatre’s 2012 Fall season at New York City Center opens

Tuesday evening, October 16 for seven performances including the World Premiere

of a new work by Alexei Ratmansky, a revival and repertory, October 16-20.

Principal Dancers for the New York City Center engagement include Roberto

Bolle, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, Julie Kent, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes,

Polina Semionova and Cory Stearns.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2012 New York City Center season will begin

at 6:30pm on Tuesday, October 16 with an Opening Night Gala benefit. A benefit

dinner at The Pierre Hotel will immediately follow the performance. For benefit

tickets and information, please contact ABT’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030,

ext. 3245.

WORLD PREMIERE

The season will be highlighted by the World Premiere of a new work by

Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky. Set to Symphony No. 9 by Dmitri

Shostakovich, the new Ratmansky work will receive its World Premiere on

Thursday, October 18. The ballet will be the first of a full-evening of three one-act

ballets which will be presented during ABT’s 2013 Spring Season at the

Metropolitan Opera House. The Shostakovich trio of works will feature scenery by

George Tsypin and costumes by Keso Dekker. Following the World Premiere

performance, the new work by Ratmansky will be given three additional

performances, October 19 evening and the matinee and evening of October 20.

70th ANNIVERSARY OF AGNES DE MILLE’S RODEO

American Ballet Theatre’s Fall Season at New York City Center will celebrate

the 70th Anniversary of Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo with a performance of the

choreographer’s most celebrated work on Tuesday, October 16. First presented by

the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo at the Metropolitan Opera House on October 16,

1942, Rodeo features music by Aaron Copland and scenery by Oliver Smith. The

World Premiere cast featured Agnes de Mille as the Cowgirl, Frederic Franklin as

the Champion Roper and Casimir Kokitch as the Head Wrangler. Rodeo was first

performed by Ballet Theatre in Wiesbaden, Germany in 1950. A new production,

featuring sets by Oliver Smith and costumes by Santo Loquasto, was given its

Revival Premiere in 1989 in St. Louis, Missouri. Rodeo will receive two additional

performances on October 18 and the matinee of October 20.

REVIVAL OF JOSE LIMON’S THE MOOR’S PAVANE

A revival of José Limón’s The Moor’s Pavane, set to music by Henry Purcell,

is scheduled for three performances at New York City Center beginning Wednesday

evening, October 17. Last performed by American Ballet Theatre in 1981,

The Moor’s Pavane is based on William Shakespeare’s tragedy of Othello and features

costumes by Pauline Lawrence and lighting by Jean Rosenthal. The Moor’s Pavane

received its World Premiere on August 17, 1949 with Limón in the leading role and

was first performed by ABT at the New York State Theater in 1970. The ballet will

receive its Revival Premiere on Thursday, October 5, 2012 at The Richard B. Fisher

Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York.

Clay Taliaferro will stage American Ballet Theatre’s revival of The Moor’s

RETURNING REPERTORY

The 2012 New York City Center season will also feature performances of

Mark Morris’ Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes, Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room

and Antony Tudor’s The Leaves Are Fading.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2012 New York City Center

season start at $20 and go on sale by phone at 212-581-1212 and on online at

www.nycitycenter.org on July 23. The City Center Box Office will open for sales on

September 4. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:07 pm 

In the New York Times, Alastair Macaulay reviews the Tuesday, October 16, 2012 gala performance, including the 70th anniversary performance of Agnes de Mille's "Rodeo," Mark Morris' "Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes," and pas de deux from James Kudelka's "Cruel World" and Balanchine's "Stars and Stripes."

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:41 pm 

Alastair Macaulay writes a summary review of the City Center fall season for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:22 pm 

Marina Harss reviews Alexei Ratmansky's "Shostakovich Symphony No. 9" and Mark Morris' "Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes" for the Faster Times.

Faster Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 pm 

Apollinaire Scherr reviews "Symphony No. 9" for the Financial Times.

Financial Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am 

Jocelyn Noveck reviews parts of the City Center fall season in the Huffington Post.

Huffington Post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:43 pm 

American Ballet Theatre
City Center
New York, New York
October 16, October 20(E), 2012

“Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes;” Pas de Deux from “Cruel World;”
Pas de Deux from “Stars and Stripes;” “Rodeo”

“Symphony 9” (new Ratmansky), “The Moor’s Pavane;” “In the Upper Room”

-- by Jerry Hochman

Attending the opening and closing nights of a given American Ballet Theatre season may not be unusual, particularly for a balletomaniac; attending an opening night and a closing night in the same week is. But ABT’s abbreviated Fall Season at City Center (seven performances over five days of five ballets, one segment of a new ballet, and three pas de deux) proved to be a microcosm of where ABT is at this point in time. As with its 2012 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was the best of times, and it was the worst of times. And the forecast for the 2013 Spring Season, based on scheduling and casting, is for more of the same. The exhilaration, and the frustration, continue.

This season featured two ballets that were included in the first program of the first ballet performance I ever saw (aside from whatever turned up on The Ed Sullivan Show): “Rodeo” and “The Moor’s Pavane.” Both ballets are masterpieces of their genres – and in this viewer’s opinion masterpieces of any genre, as is Twyla Tharp’s “In the Upper Room,” which demonstrates the ‘real’ ABT as much as any full length ballet that one will see at the Met. [Antony Tudor’s “The Leaves are Fading” is another masterpiece included in this brief ABT season. I was unable to see either of the two full performances of it – but I will comment on the programming and casting of it later.]

Alexei Ratmansky’s “Symphony #9” was the ‘world premiere’ for this season. The piece is one part of a three-part evening-length ballet scheduled for ABT’s 2013 Spring Season at the Met, all choreographed by Ratmansky to Shostakovich. Two world premieres for the price of one. I’ll discuss Mr. Ratmansky’s piece, and the wonderful performances of “The Moor’s Pavane” and “In the Upper Room” that followed it on the closing night program, after commenting on the less successful program on opening night.

Opening night at ABT was a gala celebration of I’m not sure exactly what. Technically, the evening was in honor of one member of ABT’s Board, and artistically it was trumpeted as a celebration of the 70th anniversary (‘to the day, and almost to the hour,’ as several speakers proclaimed) of Agnes DeMille’s “Rodeo.” The “Rodeo” homage seemed contrived to this viewer (is there something special about a 70th anniversary, as opposed to a 60th, or 75th?), but it provided the opportunity for a superbly constructed and informative video of rehearsals for and performances of “Rodeo,” and for extraordinarily interesting and informative interviews with those involved, including Frederick Franklin and the late Ms. DeMille. Ms. DeMille’s discussion of the creation of one particularly notable and idiosyncratic movement quality that permeates the ballet is as classic a description of artistic inspiration and imagination as I’ve seen). [However, unless such credits somehow escaped my view, the video was also notable for its failure to identify certain of the featured dancers. Perhaps I’m mistaken, but one Cowgirl in the film looked like Christine Sarry, the most memorable of the Cowgirls that this viewer has seen. Regardless of who it was, the dancer’s identity (as well as those of other dancers appearing in the video) should have been disclosed.]

The performance itself was delightful. Xiomara Reyes did a fine job as the Cowgirl, as did Jared Matthews as the Head Wrangler and Kelley Boyd as the Ranch Owner’s Daughter. But Sascha Radetsky was a memorable Champion Roper (both Mr. Radetsky and Mr. Matthews should be given the opportunity to dance leading roles), and Cassandra Trenary, as the ‘featured’ one of three ‘Eastern Friends from Kansas City,’ continues to demonstrate the promise that she first displayed a year ago, shortly after transitioning from an apprentice to becoming a member of the corps.

Mark Morris’s “Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes,” which opened the evening, may have seemed adventurous when it premiered in 1988, but to this viewer it now looks somewhat dated, and not much different from other, similarly styled, ballets. Mr. Morris takes its cast of twelve through interestingly crafted and varied dances. However, even with the inventive and distinct component dances, the ballet itself leaves an overall impression of being less complex than it really is, and rather lightweight, without punch. This lightweight quality is emphasized by the unimaginative one-color-and-style-fits-all costumes and flat lighting. It is a good opening piece, but forgettable. The dancers were each excellent, with Isabella Boylston being the standout.

The “Stars and Stripes Pas de Deux” is the Liberty Bell and El Capitan pas de deux from George Balanchine’s “Stars and Stripes.” Like the ballet itself, it is not one of Balanchine’s greatest accomplishments, but it’s an enjoyable piece of tongue in cheek patriotism. What it isn’t, to this viewer, is a vehicle for bravura displays of athleticism. Sarah Lane got it right, albeit somewhat tentatively and with an unfortunate pasted on smile (coaching might have helped), but Daniil Simkin got it wrong, by demonstrating again the superb, explosive, technical wizard that he is, but in doing so converting the Balanchine choreography into Bolshoi.

The pas de deux from James Kudelka’s “Cruel World” completed the program. Why it was inserted into this one performance is unclear. Maybe it represents a metaphor for fund-raising in turbulent economic times, or a new continuing gala tradition: It was also included in the 2012 Spring Season’s gala tribute to Kevin McKenzie on the occasion of his 20th anniversary as ABT’s artistic director. To this viewer, the absence of any explanation for the obvious emotional undercurrent in the pas de deux is a detriment, but it is otherwise emotionally if not choreographically compelling. [I am not familiar with the piece as a whole, but perhaps this pas de deux does not lend itself to being a simple cut and paste.] Be that as it may, and as was the case at Mr. McKenzie’s gala celebration, the pas de deux was superbly executed by Julie Kent and Marcelo Gomes.

Closing night provided a significantly better overall evening.

That “Symphony No. 9” is a significant work is not an issue: it is. But it is difficult to evaluate for at least three reasons: First: one viewing of a ballet this complex (both choreographically and thematically) makes a fair evaluation difficult. [This seems to be more the case with pieces by Ratmansky than other choreographer who comes to mind – I changed my mind about Ratmansky’s “The Nutcracker” upon repeated viewings, as I did with “The Bright Stream,” for example, after I came to understand what Ratmansky was trying to say.] Second: it is part of a whole, and at this point it is not known whether, and to what extent, this ‘piece’ fits together with the other pieces. [Although each segment is supposed to be ‘free-standing’, like the individual gems in George Balanchine’s “Jewels,” some segments may stand more freely than others.] And third, an understanding of the music, and the history of Shostakovich, may be essential to fully understand what Ratmansky’s intent is.

I am not an historian either of Shostakovich in general or his Ninth Symphony in particular. My understanding, however, is that this 1945 work, anticipated (and perhaps originally intended) as a celebration of the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany, came to be, instead, a bittersweet remembrance of the sacrifices and suffering of the Russian people under the potential tyranny of the Nazi’s and the actual tyranny of the Soviets. The whimsical passages that Shostakovich injected into the Ninth Symphony, which appear to be musical asides, reflect this ‘we won but we lost and are still losing’ sensibility. Shostakovich’s efforts to conceal his displeasure with the Soviets (specifically, with Stalin) didn’t work. The Ninth Symphony was subsequently banned by Soviet censors.

Of course, attending a ballet should not require a doctorate, in Russian history or anything else, and if the choreographer’s intention is unclear to an audience off the street, it is simply unclear, which in many ways is how “Symphony #9” appeared to me. Based on first viewing, this multi-faceted piece appears, at times, to be choreographically contrived (such that much of the movement and expressed emotions don’t make sense), and, spiritually too remindful of “The Bright Stream” – a result, perhaps, of quotations from that work that Shostakovich injected into his Ninth Symphony. That having been said, however, this is one of those rare pieces where, to this viewer, the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

The piece is abstract, as are the black and white unevenly splattered costumes (by Keso Dekker), but it is filled with emotional undercurrents that are clearly central to the choreographer’s intent. The large cast (two lead couples and one lead male, and a corps of eight and eight) are expertly interwoven throughout the piece. Beginning with four men, who are joined by one of the two male leads, the piece rapidly segues into permutations of solos, duos, and dancers observing other dancers. Although somewhat doleful at the beginning, these choreographic combinations move from pathos to humor, apparently inexplicably, much as the moods of people caught in a situation over which they have no control vary from day to day, from past to present, and from thought to thought.

“Symphony #9” includes wonderfully expressive and enigmatic choreography for the lead couples (Veronika Part and Roberto Bolle, and Stella Abrera and Mr. Radetsky), the lead male (Mr. Matthews), and the corps. Indeed, the choreography for the corps is as interesting to watch as it is for the leads – complex variations and choruses of varying dimensions, as well as formation movement (remindful, to my eyes, of aspects of the corps choreography in “Namouna, a Grand Divertissement,” which Mr. Ratmansky created for the New York City Ballet), that appears both mesmerizing and passively martial.

Veronika Part has proven herself to be the genuine article so many times that one tends to take her performances for granted. That would be an unfortunate oversight. Particularly with respect to choreography by Mr. Ratmansky, Ms. Part appears to be the dancer who most clearly captures and transmits Mr. Ratmansky’s choreographic intent, whether the intent is apparent (“On the Dnieper”) or more opaque (“The Nutcracker”).

Led by Ms. Part’s masterful performance, the whimsy and the pathos inherent in “Symphony #9" and essential to begin to understand Mr. Ratmansky’s intent were clearly expressed. Mr. Bolle’s understated nobility complemented her perfectly. Ms. Abrera and Mr. Radetsky were equally fine (with Mr. Radetsky adding particular spice whenever he was on stage), and Mr. Matthews was simply superb – commanding and driven (representative of a recruited soldier, perhaps?).

Closing night closed with “In the Upper Room,” one of the highlights of this or any other season, and which I previously described as one of the finest examples of contemporary choreography. As was the case last year, ABT’s performance of it is so good and so naturally conveyed that the piece appears to have been set on them (it wasn’t) and is now imbedded in the genome of each dancer.

The piece is long, but it never loses focus. On the contrary, the intensity of Ms. Tharp’s choreography, which is at a high level from the first minute, only increases (matching the increasing intensity of Philips Glass’s score). As the piece progressed, the audience, from my vantage point, appeared transfixed. Not a fidget could be seen; not a wayward cough. And when it ended, no one in the audience wanted to leave. The standing ovation was well-deserved.

Every dancer in the piece (including Simone Messmer and Luciana Paris as the ‘pajama bottom/sneaker’ pair, and Nicole Graniero and Skylar Brandt as the twins in red toe shoes, each of whom I highlighted last year) was terrific. In particular, Mr. Radetsky, Mr. Matthews (both, it bears repeating, should be given lead roles), and Patrick Ogle (whose Hillarion last season was one of the finest I’ve seen) were super. Ms. Boylston, who had a wonderful mini-season, was fabulous as the lead girl in red toe shoes. And Craig Salstein, a last minute substitute for Hermann Cornejo (who was injured earlier that afternoon during a performance of “Symphony #9), delivered a noteworthy performance. Mr. Salstein is one of ABT’s highly underrated soloists, who does everything he does well – even as a last minute sub.

One additional observation – the curtain calls for “In the Upper Room” appear to be staged (as they often are). For example, I recall seeing the same mutually congratulatory jubilation by Ms. Messmer and Ms. Paris last season (as in – ‘wow, you were great!’; ‘so were you’; ‘what an exhilarating experience!’). But as this was going on, and as the audience was standing, I saw Ms. Boylston turn to Mr. Salstein and applaud him, recognizing the great job he did on short notice. She may be a ‘take no prisoners ballerina’ (a phrase I have used to describe her dominating stage presence), but she can also be a class act.

I have written about Jose Limon’s “The Moor’s Pavane” recently, and see no need to repeat all those comments here. Suffice it to say that Limon’s distillation of “Othello,” the middle piece in the closing night program, is every bit as masterful, to this viewer, as Balanchine’s distillation of “Orpheus” – perhaps more so, since Limon’s piece tells the story within the confines of a courtly dance (a pavane, a dance that originated in the Italian Renaissance) that perfectly fits both the story and the period, and which complements and enhances the selected music by Henry Purcell. [The program notes indicate that the ‘direction and reconstruction’ of this production was by Clay Taliaferro. The name sounded familiar to me, so I checked. Mr. Taliaferro is a former principal, guest artist, and co-artistic director of the Jose Limon Dance Company, who danced the role of the Moor himself. Based on online photographs, these were performances I wish I’d seen.]

The role of the Moor (Othello) is one that fits Marcelo Gomes like a glove. I could visualize Mr. Gomes’s intense performance long before I saw it, and he did not disappoint. Craig Stearns’s ‘His Friend’ (Iago) was Mr. Gomes’s snake-like equal, and Ms. Part danced ‘His Friend’s Wife’ (Emilia) with a combination of intelligence, naivete, and pathos. [It is not in any way a negative comment on Saturday night’s cast, but it is unlikely that any dancer will ever eclipse my memories of Dennis Nahat’s venomous Iago or Sallie Wilson’s compassionate grace as Emilia.] Julie Kent executed the role of ‘The Moor’s Wife’ (Desdemona) admirably, but she has little to do but dance the steps and look like the young, pretty, and innocent victim she is – a part that could have, and in this viewer’s opinion should have, been given to any of a number of soloist or corps dancers.

Unfortunately, casting decisions that appear to make little sense in the overall scheme of things, and unfortunate programming decisions, are as much a hallmark of ABT as great performances. This mini-season provides mini-examples.

ABT currently has an extraordinary group of soloists and corps dancers. With respect to its women, ABT has an embarrassment of riches. With its men, the potential is somewhat less universal, but it’s there. With few exceptions however (“Le Corsaire,” for example), opportunities for these dancers to grow and to prove themselves have been limited. While this may be a consequence of restricted leading cast opportunities in full-length ballets and the perceived need to rely on guest artists to sell tickets, opportunities are few and far between, and when logical casting opportunities occur, ABT rarely misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

The role of Desdemona in “The Moor’s Pavane,” which I reference above, is an example. I recognize that in one matinee performance (3 p.m. on a Friday), certain underused dancers were given opportunities. But the role of Desdemona could have been given to any number of dancers for each of the scheduled performances.

More egregious was the casting in “The Leaves Are Fading.” I haven’t read any statements by Mr. Tudor of his choreographic intent, but from the many times I’ve seen the piece, including its premiere performance in New York, a demonstration of ‘mature love’ as opposed to ‘immature love’ is not a component of it. Rather, the piece displays a view of youthful love as a remembrance of things past, and shows, through the eyes of the remembering woman, not how mature love differs from youthful love, but the difference between young love that may be only youthful infatuation, and young love that is real and grows. The sudden recognition by the lead couple that their love is enduring is what the pas de deux is all about: it is both beautiful to watch and emotionally stunning. The look in Gelsey Kirkland’s eyes as she balanced on Jonas Kage’s thighs at that opening performance, a performing sequence permanently imbedded in my memory, was not the look of a woman who had loved her partner for many years, but the look of a young girl who suddenly realizes that she would love her partner for many years. Casting the lead pas de deux with more mature dancers, even though they can act and certainly execute their way through the parts, misses the point (as does excising the pas de deux from the piece as a whole, as was needlessly done in one of the performances this season). More importantly, however, it is yet another example of a casting opportunity missed. Hee Seo, recently promoted to principal, was cast in the role for one performance, but the role should also have been given to others. Having seen Ms. Kirkland and Amanda McKerrow in the role, this viewer believes that opportunities to dance the role should also have been given to Ms. Lane (perhaps with Mr. Radetsky or Joseph Gorak), and Yuriko Kajiya (perhaps with Mr. Matthews).

In addition to the unfortunately excised pas de deux, the programming for this brief season further demonstrates the lack of imagination that seems pervasive. Granted that seven performances allows for little imagination, but what was scheduled seems to have been as much an effort to prime its audience for the 2013 Met season as anything else. Why premiere one segment of Mr. Ratmansky’s new ballet, if not to build momentum for the new full-length Ratmansky/Shostakovich piece in the Spring? Why perform “Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes,” when it is scheduled to be performed again in New York in the Spring? To this viewer, a revival of a Kylian piece, or of an Eliot Feld, would have been a superior choice if the company was committed to ‘Drink’ for the Met.

I expect to discuss frustrating ABT casting and scheduling in a further comments tied to the 2013 Met season. The primary concern, however, is that by focusing attention on pieces that are convenient, and on casting that works today, ABT may be either mortgaging its future or committing itself to rely on fundraising to import dancers to fill roles for which its own dancers have been inadequately prepared or are inexplicably overlooked. The result is season after season of many indisputably exhilarating performances, but also of the frustrating absence of potentially exhilarating performances by ABT's growing ranks of underutized talent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 pm 

Robert Gottlieb reviews the City Center fall season for the New York Observer.

NY Observer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:32 am 

Robert Johnson reviews the City Center fall season for the Newark Star-Ledger.

Star-Ledger

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:01 pm 

balletomaniac wrote:
Veronika Part has proven herself to be the genuine article so many times that one tends to take her performances for granted. That would be an unfortunate oversight. Particularly with respect to choreography by Mr. Ratmansky, Ms. Part appears to be the dancer who most clearly captures and transmits Mr. Ratmansky’s choreographic intent, whether the intent is apparent (“On the Dnieper”) or more opaque (“The Nutcracker”).

Led by Ms. Part’s masterful performance, the whimsy and the pathos inherent in “Symphony #9" and essential to begin to understand Mr. Ratmansky’s intent were clearly expressed.

Hi, Jerry.

Too long have I wandered. Anyone who has such kind words for *Veronika* is a friend of mine. :D

I still have some of your past reviews that I'm going through. It's something that I like to do at my own pace because they make great reading !

I've only covered your few paragraphs on Alexei Ratmansky's Symphony #9, but am fine with stopping there for the moment because there is so much being written about this work and what I've read is generally highly complimentary.

I don't really like to wade in too heavily on a work that I've not yet seen. You touched on one thing that has kind of interested me. I saw Russian Seasons performed by two companies, an American one and the Bolshoi. The Bolshoi performance came alive for me with compelling dimensions. You mention how well Veronika Part, formerly at the Russian Mariinsky, seems to convey Alexei Ratmansky's works. The 'Russian' connection -- something to think about maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:28 pm 

continued....

Well, I finished up. Thanks, once again, Jerry.

Thanks also for your mention of two of my favorite Today's Dance, buzz names -- Veronika (Part) and Simone Messmer. Keep the news rolling in on these two, please ! Ditto, Isabella Boylston.

"....from day to day, from past to present and thought to thought," are some of the words that I would also use to discribe what fascinates me in Alexei Ratmansky.

Marcelo Gomes

"The role of the Moor (Othello) is one that fits Marcelo Gomes like a glove."

Gomes -- Othello ? This warm hearted Superstar has never kept a smile from my face (and more importantly, my heart) no matter how he's cast. I hope that never changes.

If you love ABT's In The Upper Room see Miami City Ballet doing this ! I've seen them do it a 1,000 times (plus or minus) and look forward (assuming it stays the same without Edward (Villella)) a 1,000 times more.

Cheers !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 pm 

Tobi Tobias reviews "Symphony No. 9" in Arts Journal.

Arts Journal

Profile E-mail