public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mariinsky to Berkeley's Zellerbach Hall: Oct. 10-14, 2012
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

Thanks, bcx. I didn't really mean to challenge Paul Parish's opinion, but rather to offer as a comparison what I saw at three other performances.

It would appear, though, that he was at Oxana Skorik's first performance....

"But on opening night....The next night [Oxana Skorik's]"....

and you were there for her second, Saturday night.

It's very good to hear your high opinion of her second night's performance and look forward to any more of your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 pm 

I can only say (as already noted) that, at least Saturday night, Skorik's performance was far from disastrous. Yes there are points to be refined esp in the white act, but after the Costa Mesa reviews I thought we were headed for disaster - it didn't turn out that way. (cannot vouch for the Thurs performance as I wasnt at that one) I agree that the casting decisions could have/should have perhaps been reviewed...but they were not. So given all of that, and Skorik's young age, and the fact she's not a principal -- well I think as bcx pointed out, we're lucky to have seen her at this stage in her career. I'm sure on subsequent tours we will see other sides of her talent, and in other roles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:58 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
I can only say (as already noted) that, at least Saturday night, Skorik's performance was far from disastrous. Yes there are points to be refined esp in the white act, but after the Costa Mesa reviews I thought we were headed for disaster - it didn't turn out that way.

I guess that you missed some of my somewhat Enthusiastic!!!! reviews. I'd be glad to hold your hand in regard to Oxana Skorik performances anytime at all. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 pm 

From Aimee Tsao at DanceTabs

"Skoryk, possessing an exceptionally pliant body as well as a luscious musicality, is very moving as the White Swan. She never arrives at the end of a port de bras and merely holds a position, instead she always reaches far beyond her fingertips and leaves delicate traces of the shape she has drawn even as she moves on to another phrase."

http://www.dancetabs.com/2012/10/mariin ... francisco/

I can't say that I actually noticed "She never arrives at the end of a port de bras and merely holds a position" happening in her several Costa Mesa performances, but it very well may have been the case in Berkeley. "....she always reaches far beyond her fingertips", does, for me, describe what she so beautifully does and the descriptive realm that Aimee Tsao enters into, I believe, totally captures some of Oxana Skorik's remarkable essence.

Added comment:

Once again, Paul Parish's description....

"....imagination, musicality, a gloriously unfurling line...." is also a very good illustration.

http://www.ebar.com/arts/arts.php?sec=dance