public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mariinsky to Orange County (October 2012)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:47 am 

In the Los Angeles Times, Laura Bleiberg reports that Viktoria Tereshkina and Alina Somova will not be performing as previously announced because they are both pregnant.

OC Register

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mariinsky to Orange County (October 2012)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:15 pm 

I havent yet heard official word of who will take over Somova/Tereshkina's at Zellerbach but will post when it's confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:26 pm 

Southern California gets ready to welcome the Mariinsky.

http://cdn.lightgalleries.net/4d0139f70 ... r001-1.jpg

....and Congratulations to the Expectant Mothers !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 pm 

" Then Love Came To Town "

Well, in a few days they'll be here.

In anticipation, I've been watching the dvd with Galina Ulanova (1940) dancing most of the Act II White Swan duet. Clement Crisp once called Galina Ulanova "A Miracle." I guess we can leave it at that.

A tough act to follow, but Ekaterina Kondaurova, Oxana Skorik and Anastasia Kolegova will take to the stage starting next Tuesday.

Galina Ulanova was sublime. Based on what I saw her do last March, Oxana Skorik has the ability to inhabit some of the same waters. Ekaterina Kondaurova has shown that she is a statuesque goddess and there may be even more to hope for. The only time that I saw Anastasia Kolegova she was absolutely lovely as the Lilac Fairy ("Sleeping Beauty").

Those east coast girls are hip
I really dig the styles they wear
[St. Petersburg Now, the Mariinsky Always]

I been all around this great big world
And I seen all kinds of girls....

I wish they all could be california
I wish they all could be california girls

(The Beach Boys)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm 

Buddy, I'm so happy that you are on a roll. :) Nothing like the Mariinsky to bring the sunshine. "I wish that I could be in California" ... to see the girls and guys in Swan Lake (or in DC for Cinderella). I'm going to miss everything as I'm working overseas, so am counting on our intrepid reporters.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 pm 

Intrepid Reporter at your command, Natalia.

Hope that you have many other opportunities to see many other great performances.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:26 am 

I expressed this idea quite awhile ago at another topic. My great enjoyment of Swan Lake, and I'm sure that of many other viewers, has very much centered around the famous Odette, White Swan, Act II duet. For me this is where the Enchantment is created. It has been for me one of the greatest artistic highs that I've ever experienced. If the rest of the ballet that follows can maintain this Enchantment, then I'm in 'heaven.'

The handling of the following Odile character can be critical. Svetlana Zakharova after her move to the Bolshoi from the Mariinsky made a comparison between the perception of the Odile character by the two companies. I do remember her stating that the general Mariinsky approach was a subtle interpretation. Odile also had to 'enchant.' As much as I can understand the desire to see a contrast in identity and performance styles done by the same artist, it is still the Aura of the White Swan duet that I so treasure and hope to feel kept afloat for as much of the entire ballet as possible. If the Odile character is handled with sensitivity and the beauty of her dance is highlighted, then the continuity that I so hope for is greatly aided. When Odette returns in Act IV, the 'spell' is much easier to maintain.

This is totally an aesthetic response on my part, but it is one that is very dear to me. I greatly look forward to seeing each of the lead ladies, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Oxana Skorik and Anastasia Kolegova, all extremely beautiful in their enchanting gracefulness, perform their artistic magnificence next week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 am 

Paul Hodgins previews "Swan Lake" for the Orange County Register.

OC Register

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

Thanks for the article, Francis.

There's a very nicely put statement of recognition for the corps de ballet women by Yuri Fateev. In a sense he includes the 'lead ballerina,' perhaps to be seen as a distillation of their collective beauty, as one of their number.

"We have 32 swans in the corps de ballet, and one who is the queen. That's 33 in all," said the company's director, Yuri Fateev.

Catherine, if you happen to read this, he also has these very supportive words for the Vaganova schooling that they receive,

"It is very important for the same people to do it together and develop a feeling for each other, so they can do exactly the same timing and the same steps. That is why the Vaganova Academy is so important to us. They are learning those steps from a very early age, and they come and watch ('Swan Lake') being performed many times during their educational years."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:33 am 

Surf's Up !

Only a few days to go before the series begins.

Oxana Skorik

She will begin the performances, Tuesday, and will also dance Saturday evening. She will perform the most leads, three of the seven.

I have probably mentioned this before, but her Odette, White Swan, Act II duet, at the Mariinsky Festival final night Gala, was possibly my favorite performance of the entire Festival. Why? Because she was Totally Graceful-Lovely as expected. But not expected, she delivered two instances of *Poetic Nuancing*, mostly the result of Facial Expression, that almost knocked me out of my chair with Euphoria ! What a Revelation this was as to the Depth of Expression that this remarkable young woman is capable of.

I don't recall having seen her perform a full length lead, but I've Always liked what I've seen her do. Someone at another forum said that she -- "Glows".

Ekaterina Kondaurova

She is certainly capable of igniting sparks, simply by walking onto the stage. Her sense of Gracefulness is Magnificent. I've mentioned before that at last year's Festival, as brilliant as all the performers were that she appeared with, she was about all that I could concentrate on.

Anastasia Kolegova

Based on seeing her once, she should be just lovely.

It's a treasure to be able to see any of these wonderful women doing anything, let alone all of them in in a series of Swan Lake.

"I been all around this great big world
And I seen all kinds of girls...."

I wish they all could be....

Mariinsky Girls !

Here's the Lineup

Tuesday, October 2nd at 7:30 p.m.
Oxana Skorik as Odette-Odile
Vladimir Schklyarov as Prince Siegfried

Wednesday, October 3rd at 7:30 p.m.
Yekaterina Kondaurova as Odette-Odile
Evgeny Ivanchenko as Prince Siegfried

Thursday, October 4th at 7:30 p.m.
Timur Askerov as Prince Siegfried

Friday, October 5th at 7:30 p.m.
Yekaterina Kondaurova as Odette-Odile
Evgeny Ivanchenko as Prince Siegfried

Saturday, October 6th at 2 p.m.
Anastasia Kolegova as Odette-Odile
Danila Korsuntsev as Prince Siegfried

Saturday, October 6th at 7:30 p.m.
Vladimir Schklyarov as Prince Siegfried

Sunday, October 7th at 2 p.m
Anastasia Kolegova as Odette-Odile
Timur Askerov as Prince Siegfried

http://www.scfta.org/home/Events/EventD ... 7&NavID=86

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 pm 

Buddy, thanks for this. Which performances will you be attending? I'm assuming at least one with each Odette-Odile. I hope you remind them to put on their sunscreen before hitting the surf!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:08 pm 

All of them, Natalia.

"Cause I'm a wanderer
Yeah, a wanderer
I roam around, around, around"

then....

"when I find myself a-fallin' for some girl [Oxana, Ekaterina, Anastasia....]
I hop right into that car of mine and drive around the world" (Dion)

Speaking for myself, I think I need more than sunscreen, Natalia !

:D

Now that I got that out of my system, bring on the Swans....or should I say *Angels*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:39 pm 

I hope that you and all of the other lucky attendees will have a wonderful time. Please report on our favorite swans and princes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 pm 

Yes do please report back. I know the company arrived at LAX tonight so now the countdown has truly begun!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:40 pm 

Very glad to hear that they've arrived.

Now all I have to do is get there. My 1998 'drive-around-the-world' Ford is doing some misbehaving. Love 'her' anyway. I'm sure I'll get there one way or another.

I'll do the very best I can to report back, depending on internet access and time available.