public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Best Classical Ballet for a Recreational/Non-Professional Ballet School/Organisation to Perform?
Sleeping Beauty 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Swan Lake 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Nutcracker 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Coppélia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cinderella 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Giselle 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
La fille mal Gardée 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Romeo & Juliet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
La Sylphide 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None - recreational schools should stick to recitals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Recreational Schools Performing Classical Ballets
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 am 

Hi Guys!

RE: The Difficulties Faced by Recreational Schools in Performing Classical Ballets

To all dance teachers:

I am currently looking into process and difficulties faced by recreational dance teachers in putting on full classical ballets, and other shows and productions.

In terms of a full-length production (even if a slightly abridged) of any of the main classical ballets like 'Swan Lake' or 'Sleeping Beauty', some areas of difficulty already established are:

~ a lack of boys for narrative stories,
~ a fear/apprehension of the complexity and expectations of producing a full-length classical production,
~ the cost,
~ issues regarding casting; including problems with perceived favouritism, and the 'pyramid' student body of most recreational schools i.e. having a majority of younger students and not always enough older/experienced dancers for principal, soloist roles or pointe work.

I would be extremely interested to hear if any of the above have been true in your experience, and if so, if you would be happy to expand upon those points and how they have effected you (including if, as a direct consequence, they have meant you have entirely avoided such productions). Similarly, I would be interested to hear if there have been any other reasons why you might have avoided or been put off running a full classical ballet.

Secondly, I would also be very interested to hear stories of any of your experiences (positive and negative) of putting on shows and productions (of all types), in the context of describing any difficulties faced and how you overcame them, along with any other information which might prove useful... or just good for a laugh!

Finally, I have been trying to collect filmed examples of recreational school productions to analyse. Therefore, if you have any spare copies of previous productions you would be happy for me to analyse, do please PM me for my postal address so as to send them.

Many thanks for your time, I do hope to hear from you.

Kindest Wishes,
Elida

Profile E-mail