public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mariinsky Second Stage
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:34 pm 

Reuters reports on the Mariinsky Second Stage, a modern design from a Canadian architectural firm, to be open in 2012 across the river from the historic Mariinsky Theatre.

Reuters

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mariinsky Second Stage
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 pm 

Thanks for the article about the new building, Francis. Included is this interesting but not unexpected bit of information.

"The Mariinsky troupe will move to the Second Stage building [new building] after it opens its six stages and several rehearsal rooms to spare the historic original building for its own renovation."

I still have a soft spot in my heart and imagination for the design that was not used

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/perr ... index.html
(pictures of the design that was not used)

but hopefully the new building will be very supportive of the highest standard of artistic presentation and enjoyment. The new building will not replace the old one. It's an additional facility.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 pm 

For anyone who looked at the pictures of the model of the unused design (posted above), I would like to mention again that the building in reality would probably not have looked nearly as big from the street in front of the old theater as these pictures would make it seem.

Also, again, I would like to mention that the designers of the accepted project, "Toronto-based Diamond and Schmitt Architects" are known for the practicality of their designs, very important in Russia's extreme climate, and for the high functional quality (acoustics, seating comfort and visibility, 'homey' feeling, etc.) of their performing arts projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHEdux8agcs
(2 1/2 minute video clip showing the design of the new building)

I still think that the originally accepted faceted shell design could have been a great artistic statement for Saint Petersburg and the Mariinsky. But this is only my opinion and I can certainly understand why another design might be desirable, both for practical as well as aesthetic reasons. Perhaps the best of the two designs could somehow be accomplished by additional building in the future.

Functionally, the building nearing completion should be excellent. Maybe a great artistic statement will also come of it all.

[Last two paragraphs have been slightly reworded]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 pm 

This was another design proposal, being extremely 'modernistic.' One thing that I do like here, that could possibly be used, is the giant, moving (in motion) image of a dancing ballerina on the outside wall. Cool !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnurvM5I ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 am 

Wow! thank you for the links! even didn't know that it is planed to finish new stage this year. I was in Saint-Petersburg and in Mariinsky Theatre ...that was wonderful...so I think this new stage will show us more exiting operas and ballets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 am 

I don't know, I have mixed feelings. The new building is far from done at present, and it is already April. You can see the cement beams, the floors, and the general frame, but the roof and walls haven't been erected yet. Also, the building *does* tower above the Mariinsky by several stories at least. To me that is somewhat of a disappointment, as it dwarfs the Mariinsky, when it seems to me the historical theatre should take precedence visually and otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:44 am 

It doesn't look like it can be completed this year, Catherine, but anything is possible. It's interesting to see construction workers still on the job at 7 o'clock in the evening and also through the weekends.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 am 

I know - it's almost funny, the workers are there literally all the time but you don't see the building being finished :-). Ah, Rossiya )).

I agree, it won't be completed this year. At least not in a quality manner if they are racing through it. There's too much left to be done, and I would presume the internal finishings would take months on their own -- they're not even at that stage yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:50 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
I know - it's almost funny, the workers are there literally all the time but you don't see the building being finished :-). Ah, Rossiya )).

It's a big building. :)

I do have to say, once again, that their restoration work (I don't know how long it takes) is amongst the finest I've seen anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:01 am 

Just a note on this topic. Last week the first outside walls went up in the southeast corner of the new building!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 am 

This past May, I made my first trip to St. Petersburg and the Mariinsky theatre to see Swan Lake and The Firebird. I saw the construction, but I had no idea what it was. I suppose I’ll have to go back when it’s finished. :D

How’s the progress?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 am 

Well in the past month, no huge huge steps forward. The bridge between the buildings seems completed, but you can still see the inside of the building (not all walls are up). I do sense this will dwarf the MT...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:44 am 

Catherine, since the new building is behind the old one, do you think that if you were a normal pedestrian or theatergoer walking by or entering the 'Front' of the old building that you would really notice the new building as much ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm 

I think it depends where you're walking. The fact that it will be taller than the Mariinsky is not, in my personal opinion, the best idea. I think the historical theatre should take precedence, including architecturally. The problem is that now when you look at the MT from the front or the north or the south, you'll see this beautiful blue/green historical building and then...ta da! -- behind it is a white/beige brick modern structure, much taller, looming...

Before, the MT was the tallest building since it had no immediate neighbors (as in no "next-door" buildings)... well the Dom Kulturii was there prior to the new theatre, but that was, at this point, years ago. It will be impossible not to see the new theatre behind the new one from just about any perspective, even probably lying on the ground...

(And yes, maybe the Conservatory is taller tehcnically speaking, but it isnt next door, so if you're looking at the MT from across Glinka street, you cant see the Conservatory since you're standing near it :-)).

A note: the entire south wall is now up and half of the Western wall. The north end walls are not up yet, you can see inside. The main structural pillars seem to be placed not too far apart (and they are round pillars).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:59 pm 

I guess I just haven't paid that much attention to the new building, Catherine. It is big, but it is behind. Usually I'm moving along to get to the theatre in time. Traffic, pedestrians, the buildings on the street, the beautiful golden roofs of the St. Nicolas Cathedral at the end of the street and the Mariinsky entrance right on the sidewalk are my focus.

I'll have to say, for the millionth time, that I still have an affection for the competition winning and then discarded (possibly for very good practical (and perhaps aesthetic) reasons) design. It was the goldenish, crystalline shell design and I still carry a picture of it with me whenever I go to St. Petersburg. I think that it's kind of magical looking.

Lighting will probably be very important. When I leave the old Mariinsky after a particularly fine performance (most) I'm usually in some sort of reverie as I walk down the sidewalk backwards looking at the beautifully lit front of the old theatre to the exclusion of almost everything else. Taxis stop alongside, sure that I'm wanting a ride.