public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any recommendations for a university dance program?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 am 

Hello,

I'm researching dance programs and schools right now but there are so many...I thought it might be a good idea to ask for suggestions from people that have either had first hand experience at the school or someone who can recommend it as being a good school.

If you (or someone you know well) have gone to a particular dance school/university and believe it's one of the more highly respected and quality schools could you please tell me where you went? What did you value most about the school? Vice versa, please let me know of any negative comments you may have about a certain school.

Thanks so much for the help!!! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Any recommendations for a university dance program?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:23 pm 

Hello, C4dance... Is there any particular part of the country you wish to go to school? Also, what is your focus? Ballet? Contemporary?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:01 pm 

Hi Gina!

I'm so sorry for the late response, I didn't get a notification email that you replied for some reason.

To answer your questions, I live in California (Santa Cruz)...Ideally, I'd like to stay near the Bay Area, although I know that really limits my options so I'm open to considering relocating.

As far as my focus, I know I should definitely get a strong foundation in ballet for technique, etc., though I'm also very interested in jazz, contemporary, modern....even musical theater. I don't know if I have to make up my mind and just pick one focus though...

One one my choreographers, who I admire and respect tremendously, got her master's degree in dance at Mills college in Oakland, so I've been looking into that...but I don't want to "put all my eggs in one basket".

Any advice would be great!!! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm 

Hello, C4dance... Please see my post in response to your query for "Trying to find adult classes or programs in the Bay Area"... I evaluated some studios and mentioned the UC Santa Cruz dance program. If you need any further information, let me know.

Profile E-mail