public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mariinsky 2011-2012 Season (229th season)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:05 pm 

Hi again, bcx. I didn't get to Lincoln Center this year because I was in Europe. I will travel several hours to hopefully see a great performance, but not an ocean, normally. I did do an ocean once to see a Mariinsky Festival. Usually I try to tie my mandatory trips across the sea to these performances, if possible.

In an aside about Alina Somova being "charming," I was outside the theater in London last summer when she left. She was absolutely radiant and as naturally friendly and relaxed as one could be with folks waiting to chat with her or get an autograph.

Yes, it would be great to see Evgenia Obraztsova all over the place, especially the Mariinsky, as much as possible. (Love Maria Kochetkova too. Lucky you.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:22 pm 

The Mariinsky's Evgenia Obratsova has several more premieres next month, all of which are as a guest on the Bolshoi stage. Congratulations to her!
First, she will perform in the Bolshoi's The Sleeping Beauty on January 12th, next Thursday. Then, in February, two debuts:

Feb. 8th, 2012 La Sylphide -- Bolshoi Theatre of Russia (Moscow)
Feb. 2nd, 2012 Anyuta -- Bolshoi Theatre of Russia (Moscow)

Anyuta is notable for Maximova's well known performances...it's quite an accomplishment and wonderful recognition of Obratsova's talents that she's cast in this ballet.
The details are on her website [ http://www.evgeniaobraztsova.com/] :

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

In The Observer, Luke Jennings reviews a performance of "The Little Humpbacked Horse" in St. Petersburg.

Observer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm 

To celebrate the Russian Orthodox Christmas, Mariinsky dancers performed a matinee on January 8th that is still streaming live from the site:

http://mariinsky.tv/n/e

The matinee included Lopatkina and Viktor Baranov in the Cecchetti and Pavlova ballet, and Lopatkina later goes on stage to speak about her career. She explains how she was one of four dancers who upon joining the Kirov, were referred to as the "basketball team" due to their height, and it was presumed that these four would never become ballerinas in their own rights due to the lack of tall men. And then, the taller men joined the company.

She points out that at the age of 2 she wanted to be a kindergarten teacher and also wanted to become a painter. Her first memory of a ballet onstage is taht of Konstantin Sergeyevs "The Sleeping Beauty" which to this day remains a "real live fairytale" for her, "like a live rainbow" and she particularly recalls the point when the fountains burst forth on stage as a moment that captured her heart.

Aside from her interesting comments, the recording is a lovely way to celebrate Russian Orthodox Christmas and to reign in 2012!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:41 pm 

Thanks, Catherine, for this info and speaking of Sleeping Beauty, some more good news.

Daria Pavlenko -- Lilac Fairy (Sleeping Beauty) -- tomorrow

Princess Aurora: Olesya Novikova, Prince Désiré: Maxim Zyuzin

Viktoria Tereshkina (Princess Aurora) and Yekaterina Kondaurova (Lilac Fairy) -- The Sleeping Beauty -- the next night

also

Yekaterina Osmolkina -- Giselle -- Jan. 15

Alina Somova -- Giselle -- Jan. 21

Great !

Elena Yevseyeva -- La Sylphide -- Jan 20

Catherine, if you have a moment, could you tell us something about her ?

Anastasia and Denis Matvienko -- Don Quixote -- Jan 22

Glad to still see their names.

Diana Vishneva -- Swan Lake -- Jan 25

Yekaterina Kondaurova -- Le Parc -- Jan 27

Dreamland !

Glad to see some the 'youngsters' as well. Oxana Skorik, Maria Shirinkina, Daria Vasnetsova (Mirtha (Giselle) Jan 15. She did a beautifully breathetaking performance of this at last year's April Festival) and Alexei Timofeyev.

And on and on. Great stuff !

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/

And....

Could I please add a name to my wish list for this year's Festival

Myriam Ould-Braham
(Paris Opera Ballet)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 am 

To answer your question, Buddy, Elena Evseeva transferred from the Maly/Mussorgsky/Mikhailovsky just after Vasiev left and has been with the Mariinsky ever since. She is a very bright dancer, a capable actress. She's of medium height with red hair, and notably performed the Girl in the Young Girl and the Hooligan within her first year with the Mariinsky. I've always enjoyed her dancing.

The casting and program for Kennedy Center is very appealing. I'm excited that Pavlenko has been included in Chopiniana and Scheherezade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:43 pm 

Thanks, Catherine, for telling us about Elena Evseeva (Yevseyeva). I'm glad that you like her dancing. I don't believe that I've seen her on stage, but from what I've seen on a few internet video clips, I look forward to it.

I've also noticed that she is a Vaganova graduate and now a Mariinsky "Second Soloist." At the Mikhailovsky she was a "Soloist" and danced most of the major classical leads.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ball ... yevseyeva/

Here is a charming short video clip of her talking and dancing around some of the famous sites of Saint Petersburg, etc. She says that her dream is to dance in a beautiful wedding gown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEM903k9vw
(This is an interview for the Osipova Ballet and uploaded by the same person, so it should be okay with everyone).

Also, interestingly, the Osipova Ballet site has some very nice, recent footage of Ekaterina Osmolkina dancing the famous Odette duet from "Swan Lake" at that company's gala.

http://www.youtube.com/user/balletpassion

Agreed that it is great to see Daria Pavlenko listed for the Kennedy Center performances and dancing as much as possible. I won't be there -- But!! I hope to catch ! Veronika ! (Part) there with the ABT at the beginning of next month and to be at the Mariinsky Festival (my 8th). Maybe I'll see you there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 pm 

Hi Buddy,
I did notice the Osmolkina Swan Lakes thru Osipova's site, last fall sometime, I think, and I was surprised to learn she had danced O/O (and had it filmed, to boot). Osipova has many Mariinsky dancers, I believe there are more recordings that include Andrey Ermakov, among others.
I will have to live vicariously through the Veronika Part performances -- what a treat you get to see her, I will be anxious to hear your impressions. And yes then, see you at the Festival!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 pm 

Hi Catherine.

I've written my ! Veronika ! review already.

" She Was Mindbogglingly Great ! "

Look forward to seeing you at the Festival.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 pm 

Buddy wrote:
Hi Catherine.

I've written my ! Veronika ! review already.

" She Was Mindbogglingly Great ! "

Look forward to seeing you at the Festival.

:D Buddy is that the review? I think it encompasses everything, very cute :-)

In other news, I wanted to add this to the main MT thread. Keenan Kampa, who graduated in 2010 from the Vaganova Academy after spending the last 3 years of the 9-year course there, will be joining the Mariinsky as the company's first American. She joins in June this year, and I am not sure if she will be performing before the 2012 season ends in July or not. Congratulations to Miss Kampa for this international step!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:11 pm 

Dance Magazine had this to say about her in a "2012 25 to Watch" article.

"Keenan Kampa is a stunning paradox of star quality. At 5’ 8”, the lithe beauty moves with the efficiency of a ballerina far shorter. And within her delicate, angelic presence lies an edginess and attack—an intrigue worthy of

Mona Lisa

—that makes her irresistible to watch."

http://dancemagazine.com/issues/January ... 5-To-Watch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:06 pm 

Also for you perhaps Buddy, and you are likely already aware, the Mariinsky will perform in Geneva for a short 3-night stint in April: http://www.geneveopera.com/production_16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm 

Thanks, Catherine. I had no idea that the Mariinsky was to be in Geneva. Because of a bunch of things I may have to do some fancy footwork (grands jetés) to get there, but I will try.

Back to Keenan Kampa for a moment. I found some charming internet video clips of her fooling around with friends, etc. Not sure I can find them again, but they're out there someplace. She's not a bad hip hopper, seems down to earth lovely and has a definite charisma that I'm sure will 'topple a few empires' during her career.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:16 pm 

Catherine,

Do you know anything about Evgenia Obraztsova leaving the Mariinsky and joining the Bolshoi? I can confirm her name is no longer on the Mariinsky roster (http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/troupe/)

The following was reported on Twitter:

“Sad news - Evgenia Obraztsova & Denis Matvienko have been taken off the @Mariinskyen roster & are presumably leaving: bit.ly/i5hXdt”

“Sarafanov has been w/ the Mikhailovsky for a while. Matvienko is the Kiev Ballet's new AD, Obraztsova maybe to the Bolshoi?”

--Source: bellafigura Laura (http://www.bellafigura.fr/) on Twitter, 1/26/12

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 am 

It's official:

"Obraztsova - prima ballerina of the Bolshoi Theatre"

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 5/&act=url

Very happy for Genia and sad for the Mariinsky.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next