public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Northwest Ballet: Love Stories (November 2011)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:08 am 

Pacific Northwest Ballet's November 4-13, 2011 program includes Balanchine's Divertimento from "Le Baiser de la Fee," Robbins' "Afternoon of a Faun," the Balcony Pas de Deux from Maillot's "Romeo et Juliette," the Black Swan Pas de Deux from Kent Stowell's "Swan Lake," and Act III of "The Sleeping Beauty" (Aurora's Wedding) from Ronald Hynd's production. Here is a link to the complete program information on PNB's website.

Love Stories

Casting is now available.

Casting

In the Seattle Times, Moira Macdonald interviews "Afternoon of a Faun" stager Bart Cook.

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pacific Northwest Ballet:Love Stories (November 2011)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:54 pm 

Pacific Northwest Ballet's "Love Stories" program is a splendid showcase for the PNB Orchestra and its new music director, Emil de Cou. Dean Speer and I attended this morning's orchestra rehearsal and can report that the orchestra is in excellent shape and very pleased to be playing the familiar Act III of "Sleeping Beauty" and the "Black Swan" Pas de deux, plus two works that are new to their repertoire, "Divertimento from Le Baiser de la Fee" and "Afternoon of a Faun." Guest conductor Alastair Willis wins that award for getting the orchestra through the eight minutes of the "Balcony Pas de deux from Romeo and Juliet" with a minute and a half left for comments before overtime could be invoked. I will be returning to the Opera House shortly for a discussion with Bart Cook, who is the stager for this PNB premiere of Robbins' "Afternoon of a Faun," followed by dress rehearsal. Here are some comments from other critics in attendance this morning.

Lynn Jacobson for the Seattle Times.

Seattle Times

Everett Herald

Everett Herald

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pacific Northwest Ballet: Love Stories (November 2011)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 pm 

Jackson Holtz reviews "Love Stories" for the Everett Herald.

Everett Herald

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:37 pm 

Philippa Kiraly reviews "Love Stories" for the Sun Break.

Sun Break

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:55 pm 

Steve Ha reviews the Friday, November 4, 2011 performance for Seattle Dances.

Seattle Dances

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 pm 

Moira Macdonald reviews the Friday, November 4, 2011 performance for the Seattle Times.

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:16 pm 

The Southpaws Have It
Pacific Northwest Ballet’s “Love Stories” Saturday Evening Program, 5 November 2011
McCaw Hall, Seattle, Washington

by Dean Speer

Let’s cut right to the chase and answer the question that's really on people’s minds: Yes, she did all of the fouettés in the ‘Black Swan’ pas de deux from “Swan Lake.” And then some. Not only that, Laura Gilbreath – in her debut as Odile– inserted several doubles early on. The strength and attack of the earlier sections of the pas, informed me that the turns would most likely not be a problem; what did surprise me is that she’s a “lefty.” As is her partner, the tall and lanky, with much elevation and “hang time” in the air, Karel Cruz.

Gilbreath reminds me a bit of one of my former students, Kristy Ann Wimpy Larson, who now directs a ballet school in Southwest Washington, as they seem to not only share looks but also several attributes: prepared, smart, fearless, good-humored, and unruffled by a good challenge.

This famous duet has to be made exciting and they very much did, right from the get-go.

With some dancers apparently sidelined and casting somewhat shifted throughout the evening’s ballets, the performance of the opening work, the Divertimento from “Le Baiser de la Fée,” [The Fairy’s Kiss] provided a remarkable opportunity for two corps members to make their respective debuts as the lead couple, former Oregon Ballet Theatre member Leta Biasucci and Kyle Davis. Both were impressive and, I think, well-cast in what is a soubrette kind of part. With costumes that hinted of the rustic and with elegant choreography by George Balanchine, over a commissioned Stravinsky score, this was a work new to me and PNB.

Dating from 1974, this version hints at the original fairytale story, particularly in the last section, whose music is based on the heartbreakingly beautiful Tchaikovsky song, "None But The Lonely Heart," as the principal couple each complete the ballet in deep backbends, each facing a separate wing, he to the stage left and she, right, while stepping and reaching backward.

Exquisite and very intimate, Jerome Robbins’ interpretation of “Afternoon of a Faun,” is about as perfect as a miniature ballet can be – perfect because the level of choreographic composition matches the level of music and both blend and rise to Robbins’ inspiration and concept – that of seeing the young Edward Villella asleep in a corner of a sunlit studio. The music shimmers and is a bit unworldly, as is this ballet.

The conceit is that, we the audience, are the theatre’s fourth “wall” – in this case, the ballet studio’s mirror, where the two dancers, Lesley Rausch and Seth Orza, observe themselves and, at the end following a tentative kiss on the cheek offered by the male, the female makes her en pointe exit, leaving the male to return to his sun-warmed reverie.

Each of Kaori Nakamura’s performances are special by any account, as she brings so much focus, depth, and range of movement and technique to every role. Then pairing her with Lucien Postlewaite as Roméo to her Juliette is a terrific combination in the excerpted ‘Balcony’ pas de deux from Maillot’s very contemporary and French envisioning of “Roméo et Juliette.”

Concluding the evening was Ronald Hynd’s staging of the entire third act of “The Sleeping Beauty,” with Maria Chapman making her role debut as Princess Aurora, partnered by Orza as her Prince Florimund. Having a “Sleeping Beauty” in a company’s repertoire is a huge accomplishment, particularly one that is as authentic and lavishly produced as this one, and was a delight from downbeat to finish.

Very, very well cast were Carrie Imler, Lucien Postlewaite, and William Lin-Yee in the Gold and Silver Pas de Trois. This showed Imler at her best in all respects – affluent with her strong and sharp range, pulling off technical steps and difficulties as if they were tailor-made. Postlewaite and Lin-Yee were nicely matched in line and presentation of their male variations, often conceived in canon.

Jerome Tisserand was filling in for Jonathan Porretta as the Bluebird, with Rachel Foster as Princess Florine. A Dance Magazine cover girl, sometimes typecast as best suited to contemporary work, Foster really emerged and broke away from this limit and put herself into the role completely, sparkling and allowing us to enjoy each of the échappé and stylized piqué turns, including the famous “Bluebird” lift fully with her face open and smiling.

Tisserand’s elevation and line are quite good and his landings from each of the many sauté, quiet and controlled as they should be. 24 brisé volé, front and back, are a lot for any male dancer and he more than easily sailed through this allegro assignment well – in fact, covering the stage so much as having to perhaps re-tool the spacing a bit at the end, as he could have merrily and easily flown off into the wings, as he does when concluding the pas’s coda with a huge saut de chat.

My only fuss with the Grand Pas de deux was that I would have liked the third and final partnered “fish” dive from the piqué en de dans double pirouette to have been held longer, as it often is, as I find this gives it great phrasing and elegance. I would so have liked conductor and Music Director Emil de Cou to have relaxed the pace of the coda just a bit, as it felt slightly rushed – a little breathless rather than exhilarating, although it was certainly exciting.

Orza is an experienced and sympathetic partner who gave finessed support to Chapman, who essayed her assignment very well. Occasionally, she impressed me as being"on edge,” but this is an enormous role with the weight of many legendary ballerinas behind her, so this is certainly understandable. I’m confident that with more outings, she’ll relax into the part, as any ballet requires “seasoning,” meaning each performance informs the next and it takes time to understand where and how to pace a part and to get it under the skin. Specifically, I would have liked to see her do more with deeper phrasing, such as accented pauses, and letting a phrase resonate before transitioning to the next. Never the less, an impressive debut.

The mighty PNB Orchestra – which performed every work on the program– was led by de Cou and Alastair Willis for the Prokofiev.

A fabulous and exciting...and choreographically varied program, that should have had audiences lining up and vying for seats, but where were they? I find myself disappointed and slightly distressed that the top balcony seemed to have only a smattering of folk in it. The greater Puget Sound region really needs to do better in its support. Is it not critical in these hard economic times that we support the very things that make living here so valued? Perhaps the marketing department had a hard time coming up with a saleable tag line, but the program was totally worth seeing and enjoying. When the area can seem to easily come up with $250 million for a newly re-built Husky stadium and shoppers are crowding into malls, certainly the inexpensive seats of the ballet (with single tickets range from $28 to $168; subscription rates are even less) can and should be filled. After all, one of North America’s top, top major ballet companies is right here in our own backyard, and we want to keep it that way. Audiences should not assume support is not needed, nor should we allow a cavalier or complacent attitude to develop. Active support, to me, means being a seat within a seat and providing whatever other means of support are possible.

Next up, “Nutcracker!”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 pm 

Dale Burrows reviews "Love Stories" for the Weekly Herald.

Weekly Herald

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:01 pm 

Alice Kaderlan reviews "Love Stories" in the Seattle P-I.

Seattle P-I

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 pm 

Eleven Eleven Eleven
Pacific Northwest Ballet’s “Love Stories” Revisited, 11 November 2011
McCaw Hall, Seattle, Washington

by Dean Speer

Making an unplanned stop on my 2011 ballet tour to a second viewing of Pacific Northwest Ballet’s “Love Stories” program on Friday, 11 November 2011, I can think of at least 11 reasons why I was excited to be there and enjoy this strong bill again.

11. ‘Divertimento' from Balanchine’s “Le Baiser de la Fée.” Becoming more familiar, choreographically, with this minor masterpiece and enjoying its structure

10. Attending with a dance teacher friend and colleague and being able to have in-depth discussions about each piece and cast.

9. The cast settling into the run. I’m convinced that reviewing a show early in its run is perhaps sometimes a bit unfair to the performers and crew. There is always a little shake-down cruise period. I remember being in something that had a long run of performances and it took the musicians, cast and crew until the seventh outing to get all the elements just right. I’m not suggesting that mistakes were made or there were errors (none that I could see) but that it takes some “go’s” to get the proper feel of a ballet or program. Performing is problem-solving on your feet and being fully in the moment. This takes time and experience.

8. Lindsi Dec in the ‘Black Swan’ pas de deux from “Swan Lake.” She did 28 fouettés plus pulling in for four more – we’ll count it as 32.

7. Kaori Nakamura and Lucien Postlewaite in the ‘Balcony’ pas de deux from Maillot’s envisioning of “Roméo et Juliette.”

6. Enjoying “Afternoon of a Faun” again – with any cast, but very satisfying to see Rachel Foster and Jerome Tisserand.

5. ‘Aurora’s Wedding’ – Act III of the full-length “Sleeping Beauty.”

4. Batkhurel Bold back in big parts, after being sidelined. His Prince in “Swan Lake” was tastefully restrained yet showed what he can do – which is considerable. He doesn’t appear to be jumping as high these days, but that’s okay.

3. Maria Chapman in a second foray as “Aurora.” She was more relaxed and dance the part with her usual amplitude.

2. The PNB Orchestra.

1. A night out, during what was, for me, a “busman’s holiday” on my day off from the day job – taking ballet class in the morning, teaching a guest ballet class at a studio in Kent in the afternoon and seeing PNB at night. What a deal!

Profile E-mail