public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ten Best Dancers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:27 pm 

In The Observer, Luke Jennings offers a list of the Ten Best Dancers.

The Observer

Comments?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Ten Best Dancers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 am 

An odd list in my view as he couldn't have seen Nijinsky and why he rates Nadezhda Pavlova over Ulanova, Plisetskaya, Maximova or Ananiashvili is strange to say the least.

Gelsey Kirkland was an odd fish but her US contemporary, Suzanne Farrell, is more deserving of a 'best of' list. Asylmuratova had technical limitations and Cojocaru has problem feet. As I say, odd.

And where were Fonteyn & Nureyev?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:53 am 

Cassandra wrote:
An odd list in my view as he couldn't have seen Nijinsky and why he rates Nadezhda Pavlova over Ulanova, Plisetskaya, Maximova or Ananiashvili is strange to say the least.

Gelsey Kirkland was an odd fish but her US contemporary, Suzanne Farrell, is more deserving of a 'best of' list. Asylmuratova had technical limitations and Cojocaru has problem feet. As I say, odd.

And where were Fonteyn & Nureyev?
Cassandra, I couldn't agree more. What's the saying? "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." His common denominator for Kirkland and N. Pavlova are their trials and tribulations. What do these have to do with their
compartively marginal contributions to American ballet history, (in Kirkland's case), Russian ballet history (in Pavlova's case), or even British ballet history, (in Cojocaru's case)? In the end it's all a matter of personal preference; and we're looking at Jenning's personal, and, from what I read, subjective opinion.

If you're going to make "greatest" lists, I say choose specific ballets, categories, genres, eras, and emploi then narrow it down. I don't believe that Jennings was trying to be comprehensive in his choices; I hope not. However, his choices seem to reflect the same types of choices that those with faux knowledge and understanding of dance history and the greatest "movers," (as Fred Astaire used to say) who have shaped it. Some of these people staff dance editorial offices, and make up much of the ballet going audience today - at least here in the U.S. With the exceptions of Astaire, Asylmuratova (for her expressiveness), and Nijinsky, how else could anyone possibly explain such a short list? MO.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:36 am 

Ten best dancers in an historical sense, just dancers by the way as Bournonville, Petipa, Fokine, Balanchine etc deserve a list of their own.

Marie Camargo
Auguste Vestris
Geneviève Gosselin
Marie Taglioni
Anna Pavlova
Tamara Karsavina
Vaslav Nijinsky
Galina Ulanova
Margot Fonteyn
Rudolf Nureyev

Why:

Camargo lifted her hem to allow the audience to admire her footwork.

Auguste Vestris became the first dancing superstar

Geneviève Gosselin was the first dancer to rise onto pointe.

Taglioni expanded pointe work and became the first ballerina in the traditional sense.

Anna Pavlova exported her art worldwide

Tamara Karsavina was the first ballerina to embrace a new 20th century repertoire

Vaslav Nijinski became a legend and explored new forms of movement

Galina Ulanova was quite simply the greatest; everyone that saw her was inspired.

Perhaps Fonteyn & Nureyev should be listed as a single entity as their double fame was prodigious, like Pavlova they took ballet world wide and reached millions on TV. The first ballet super stars in the age of mass media.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 am 

Michael Jackson
Jennifer Lopez
Shakira
Chris Brown
Fred Astaire
Jenna Dewan
Madonna
Paula Abdul
Natalia Oreiro
Justin Timberlake

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:24 pm 

IMO it's Michael Joseph Jackson and Fred Astaire on this list; subtract the rest. The others on the list have been heavily influenced by the late Mr. Jackson, and of the ladies, his sister Janet. Michael always noted that he was heavily influenced by Astaire, James Brown, Honey Coles, the Nicholas Brothers and culled his own personal style from those influences and hours of rehearsing and his own original innovations. Madonna was Michael's contemporary and rival, and they respected each other's work. However, this was his astute assessment of her as an pop artist, according to one of his staff at the peek of their fame in the 80s:
Quote:
"Let's face it, she can't sing, she's just an okay dancer. What does she do best? She knows how to market herself."
Source: J. Randy Taraberelli, "Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness," (1st edition).

For her part, Madonna has heavily influenced Britney Spears and Lady Ga Ga. They've acknowledged her as a major influence, moreso than Michael, but they do acknowledge them both. Madonna's style and flamboyance, shocking to some in the 80s has paved the way for them today. Mr. Astaire, who was a neighbor of Michael's called him after his first public performance of "Billie Jean" at the Motown 25th Anniversary t.v. special and told him:
Quote:
. . . you're a h*ll of a mover! You're an angry dancer; I used to do the same thing with my cane. You really set them on their *sses last night! I taped it and watched it again this morning. You're a h*ll of a mover."
After that phone call Michael wrote in his memoirs that he cried because he had never been complimented like that before in his life, not even from his father. Coming from Fred Astaire, that must have been one of the greatest honors he ever received. I saw Jackson live in concert a few times, and I can attest as an eyewitness that everything he achieved onstage was real, and that whenever he hit the stage he hit it hard and never let up his intensity. I choose to remember his philanthropic work and the milestones he achieved as an innovator, singer, dancer, songrwiter, poet and musician.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:59 am 

hi,
Frederick Ashton, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Erik Bruhn are my favorite ballet dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:18 am 

That is an impressive list, I just love all of them personally..... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:49 pm 

If we're talking about DANCE is the broader sense not just ballet then we need to add:

Martha Graham
Isadora Duncan
Ruth St Denis
Jose Limon

And any number of other modern dancers.

And what about more "ethnic" dancers like Katerine Dunham?

Or pro ballroom dancers?

I hate lists like these. They are too limiting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 am 

Baryshnikov. Period.

http://www.dancechanneltv.com/item/108- ... o-the-nypl

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm 

Why aren't people listing Baryshinikov?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 am 

While I understand that any list of the 10 greatest dancers of all time can be subjective Why don't you let us know your ten? It would be interesting, even if no less subjective!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am 

here i am sharing with you the top ten best dancers in the world...

1. Michael Jackson:Michael Joseph Jackson(August 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009) was an American recording artist, dancer, singer-songwriter, musician, and philanthropist. Referred to as the King of Pop, Jackson is recognized because the most victorious entertainer of all time by Guinness Globe Information. His contribution to songs, dance, and vogue, along by using a much-publicized individual everyday living, designed him a global determine in well known culture for above 4 a long time. He's also Referred as the King of New music Video clips, Steve Huey of Allmusic noticed how Jackson transformed the new music video clip into an artwork type along with a promotional resource by advanced story lines, dance routines, specific effects and well known cameo appearances; at the same time breaking down racial obstacles

2:Chris Brown:Chris Brown(born May possibly 5, 1989) is an American R&B singer, songwriter, dancer, and actor. He developed his recording debut in late 2005 with the self-titled album Chris Brown at the age of 16. The album featured the hit single “Run It!”, which topped the Billboard Hot 100, making Brown the first male artist to have his debut single very best the chart since Montell Jordan in 1995. The album has sold around two million copies in the United States and was certified double Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.

3:Sammy Davis Jr: Samuel George “Sammy” Davis, Jr. (December 8, 1925 - May very well 16, 1990) was an American entertainer.
Primarily a dancer and singer, Davis was a childhood vaudevillian who became known for his performances on Broadway and in Las Vegas, as a recording artist, television and film star, and as a member of Frank Sinatra’s “Rat Pack”

4:Fred Astaire: Fred Astaire (Will probably ten, 1899 - June 22, 1987), born Frederick Austerlitz,was an American film and Broadway stage dancer, choreographer, singer and actor. His stage and subsequent film career spanned a total of 76 years, during which he built 31 musical films. He was named the first Greatest Male Star of All Time by the American Film Institute. He's particularly associated with Ginger Rogers, with whom he developed ten films.

5:Jennifer Lopez: Jennifer Lynn Lopez (born July 24, 1969), also known by her nickname J.Lo, is definitely an American actress, singer, record producer, dancer, television personality, fashion designer and television producer. Lopez began her career as a dancer on the television comedy program In Living Color. Subsequently venturing into acting, she gained recognition during the 1995 action-thriller Money Train.

6:Ciara Princess Harris: Ciara Princess Harris (born October twenty five, 1985), known mononymously as Ciara, is surely an American singer-songwriter, dancer, actress and fashion model. Born in Austin, Texas, she Ciara Princess Harris (born October twenty five, 1985), known mononymously as Ciara, is surely an American singer-songwriter, dancer, actress and style model. Born in Austin, Texas, she traveled around the entire world during her childhood, only to land in Atlanta, Georgia where she met audio producer, Jazze Pha. With his help, she was signed to LaFace Records, and has gone on to become a powerful artist, having sold more than seven million albums worldwide and had numerous high ten hits. around the globe during her childhood, only to land in Atlanta, Georgia where she met new music producer, Jazze Pha. With his help, she was signed to LaFace Records, and has gone on to become a successful artist, having sold more than seven million albums worldwide and had numerous top ten hits.

7:M.C. Hammer: Stanley Kirk Burrell (born March 30, 1962), better known by his stage name M.C. Hammer, is surely an American rapper, entertainer, business entrepreneur, dancer and actor. He was commercially most well known during the late 1980s until the mid-1990s. Remembered for a rapid rise to fame before losing the majority of his fortune, Hammer is also known for his hit information, including “U Can’t Touch This”, flamboyant dance techniques and trademark Hammer pants. Hammer’s superstar-status manufactured him a household name and pop icon. He has sold more than 50 million information worldwide, demonstrating hip hop’s potential for mass market success

8:Janet Jackson: Janet Damita Jo Jackson (born May well 16, 1966) is an American recording artist and actress. Known for a series of sonically innovative, socially conscious and sexually provocative information, as well as elaborate stage shows, television and film roles, she has been a prominent figure in popular culture for above twenty five years. She is ranked by Forbes magazine as one of the richest women in entertainment. The youngest child of the Jackson family, she began her career with the variety television series The Jacksons in 1976 and went on to appear in other television shows throughout the 1970s and early 1980s, including Good Times and Fame

9:Prabhu Deva: Prabhu Deva (born 3 April 1973) is definitely an Indian dancer, choreographer, actor and film director. He has performed in a wide range of dancing styles. Prabhu Deva was born in Mysore, Karnataka to a lingayat family and grew up in Alwarpet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was inspired by his father, Mugur Sundar who was a dance master for preferred South Indian movies. He took dancing as his career and passion, learning Indian dance forms such as Bharatanatyam as well as Western dance styles. His dance steps helped him become a star in Kollywood. He has a significant fan following while in the Tamil, Telugu and Kannada film industries. He acted alongside his brothers in the movie 123. As of 2010, he serves as chairman and director of a dance academy in Singapore named Prabhudeva’s Dance Academy.

10:Gene Kelly: Eugene Curran “Gene” Kelly (August 23, 1912 - February 2, 1996) was an American dancer, actor, singer, film director and producer, and choreographer. Kelly was known for his energetic and athletic dancing style, his good looks and the likeable characters that he played on screen. Although he's known today for his performances in Singin’ in the Rain and An American in Paris, he was a dominant force in Hollywood musical films from the mid 1940s until this artwork sort fell out of trend in the late 1950s. His many innovations transformed the Hollywood musical film, and he's credited with almost single-handedly making the ballet type commercially acceptable to film audiences.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:09 am 

Review of a new book.

"The Astaires, Fred & Adele," by Kathleen Riley (Kathryn Hughes, Guardian)

"The Astaires together laid down a library of beats, taps and turns from which Fred would go on to make some of the most sublime physical art of the 20th century."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/ju ... ley-review
(posted at BalletcoForum)

A few names out of the air and it's strictly personal, of the moment and in no particular order.

Anna Pavlova -- (based only on a 60 second video clip (The Swan), I have thought of her as the female equivalent to Michelangelo)

Galina Ulanova
Fred Astaire
Shirley Temple (because she was a great child performer and children take it all into a completely different and wondrous Universe)
Ulyana Lopatkina
Sylvie Guillem (largely based on an internet video clip, that I'm reeling over, of her dancing "Bolero")
Isadora Duncan/Ruth St Denis (because they apparently sought to make the immense beauty of classical dance more natural)
Mikhail Baryshnikov/Rudolf Nureyev
Savion Glover/Eleanor Powell/the Nicholas Brothers....(great hoofers)
The Jabbawockeez (a group (is that okay?) that is, for me, state of the high art street dance)
Vladimir Ponomarev (Mariinsky dance/mime/actor Wonder) and Marcel Marceau (actually a great mime actor) (both suggesting one direction that 'western' dance could go in to be a broader, high expression art form (like Japanese Kabuki?))
Alina Cojocaru, Diana Vishneva, Simone Messmer (probably) -- (Actress/Expressionist ballerinas)

This is Fun !

This is the top 100 and "Ten" Dancers topic, Isn't it ?

(Subject to constant revision. Look here in another week and it might be a somewhat different list)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:05 am 

Michael Jackson
Jennifer Lopez
Shakira
Prabu Deva
Hrithik Roshan
Usher
Justin Timberlake
Madonna
Beyonce
Javed Jaffery