public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water vs Energy drinks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:42 am 

Water vs Energy drinks - A Dancer’s Guide

How useful are sports drinks for dancers? Are they packed full of dubious ingredients? Do they really fulfil their promises of increased physical endurance, alertness and concentration? Do dancers really need them? For Dance Today, Rachel Holland spoke to Dr Tom Crisp, sports and orthopaedic physician based in Hertfordshire, who worked on the fluid replacement strategy for the Olympic team before the Atlanta Olympics and weighs up whether it is a good idea to take a sports/energy drink to the dance class or is it better just to stick to the water

When you sweat during your dance classes, your body is losing valuable water and electrolytes. Electrolytes are essential minerals such as salt, potassium and chloride. Why do we sweat? This is so that our body can maintain its core temperature of 37 degrees Celsius. The electrolytes we lose can easily be replaced with our next meal, but it’s vital that we keep ourselves well-hydrated. Why? Left unchecked, dehydration can lead to fatigue, poor performance, and possible injury.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Water vs Energy drinks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:13 pm 

I suspect the caffeine in the sports drinks has more effect than anything else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:41 pm 

I hear that most of the Gatorade containers at pro sport events actually have water in them. Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is, then I guess water must be better for you.

Sample site:
Latin Dance Pro, Salsa with Sergio and Salud
http://www.5minutesite.com/vp.php?ui=960

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:06 am 

Electrolytes <--Spelling??? :? for me are the key to maintaining good energy in the studio/stage. Dehydration is factor number 1, especially onstage. I also use buffered salt tablets and a product called "Slow-Mag" which is a time release magnesium chloride suppliment. Electolytes, salt and magnesium are especially essential when you are performing at high altitudes which increase the dehydration factor due to lack of oxygen. I HATE dancing at high altitudes :cry: it is like a pre-cursor for what I will feel like when I am 90 years old.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:08 pm 

The last health article I read concerning this issue stated that sports drinks are really for people who will be exercising long term. So it is great for marathon runners and professional athletes (and dancers) who spend several hours a day working out. It is not for the person who takes a one and a half hour dance class or a one hour jazzercise class. There is more salt and sugar in the drinks than a person needs who is only doing moderate exercising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:41 am 

In my personal experience, water is much more satisfying during, before, and after a general ballet class. However, if I am fighting a cold or feel my body is getting weak from intense rehearsals and sickness the sports drinks give a little more of a kick because of the sugar and salt, it replenishes the body past the hydration of water. They also seem good for pre-performance/intermissions for the same reason. The sugar gives you a burst, but if you get the right flavor its not too thick or intense like juice or soda.

Post subject: Re: Water vs Energy drinks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:29 am 

citibob wrote:
I suspect the caffeine in the sports drinks has more effect than anything else.

Only in shot time )
astigmatism

Profile E-mail