public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kirov Ballet in London 2011
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:00 am 

As assumed by most London Ballet goers, the Kirov Ballet returns next summer.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=12

The company's last visit to London under the auspices of ineffectual acting director Fateev, was not wholly successful and most felt insulted that the execrable Alina Somova was allowed to both open and close the season. Perhaps the critical mauling she received by the press may spare us her appearance on opening night next year, but with dance goddesses Osmolkina and Obratzova not being included in the line up I've a horrid feeling Somova will feature heavily once again.

On the plus side Diana Vishneva is listed to appear after many years of avoiding the UK and Kondaurova will be dancing as Anna Karenina. Sarafanov's recent defection to the Mikhailovsky will doubtless be felt and perhaps explains why the company is taking the unusual step of bringing with it a guest artist from ABT.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kirov Ballet in London 2011
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:04 pm 

It's interesting that the Mariinsky will feature a double bill of "Anna Karenina" with Alonso's "Carmen." Copy the Bolshoi much? This past summer the Bolshoi offered "Serenade" on a double bill with "Giselle" and that combo was both unusual and successful because of the distinct differences between the ballets. Fortunately, the producers saw sense not to feature the Jacobsen "Spartacus" after the Bolshoi's dominance this past summer. So far there are only three Annas in the company. Vishneva, Lopatkina and Kondaurova could tag team one another. For example, Diana could dance both roles, as well as Uliana. Katya Kondaurova could also dance both roles, (if she makes a Carmen debut between now and next July). These three ballerinas could rotate between both roles at successive performances. That would be an OTT tour de force. One can just imagine the media hype. Quite frankly, I'm shocked that "Little Humpbacked Horse" won't be packed and shipped to Covent Garden as well, which perfectly segues to my next points.

On a much lower tone, Cassandra, unfortunately I believe your hunch is correct. In spite of "Anna Karenina," Somova will most likely feature prominently once again. However, I believe the combined star power of Diana, Uliana and Katya will eclipse and overwhelm the "Somova Campaign" this time. Fateev's hapless and incompetent oversight of the ballet's personnel, has demonstrated just how inept a manager and administrator he is. I believe that he has learned nothing since the last Covent Garden engagement. He will probably assign Somova the following: Juliet, (yes, once again - as if London didn't get enough of a stomach full last year), Odette/Odile, Nikiya, the lead in "Scotch Symphony," "In the Night," and if he's really ambitious to impress the London audience, perhaps even a supporting role such as Kitty in "Anna Karenina."

To date, the Fokine repertoire has been spared Somova's footprints. The Mariinsky's Fokine works are the domain of Kondaurova, Lopatkina and Vishneva - especially the latter two as Zoebide in "Sheherazade." Kondaurova is the company's best active "Firebird." With her UK debut as Anna, her return as O/O, and her UK debut as Nikiya the season should be a milestone career making triumph for Kondaurova. As for Somova, whether she will open or close the engagement will most likely remain hush hush until Covent Garden publishes the casts online. Last week, Fateev's was awarded the title of Honored Artist. This makes about as much sense as Charles Bovary being decorated with a medal for being clueless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:20 pm 

Kondaurova has already danced in Carmen last spring/summer -- in a performance at the concert hall with Plisetskaya and Schedrin in tow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:10 am 

The double bill of Anna Karenina and Carmen isn't going to happen due to 'unsurmountable' difficulties and Anna Karenina will be given on its own. My guess is that an over-run was involved and the Kirov isn't prepared to pay overtime to the ROH staff.

Alonso's Carmen has a difficult performance history in Britain, being wholly disliked by the critics here when it was first seen back in the 1960's and consequently Maya Plisetskaya determined to boycott the UK as a result of the panning her favourite ballet received.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Casting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:37 pm 

I'm a little late posting this as the details came out about a week ago, but too late for me to not have to 'book blind'.

The best news is that Lopatkina opens and closes the season rather than last years fiasco, but I still think the company needs to up its game in London.

Swan Lake

25th July 7.30
Uliana Lopatkina
Daniil Korsuntsev

26th July 7.30
Viktoria Tereshkina
Vladimir Shklyarov

27th July 7.30
Alina Somova
Andrian Fadeyev

28th July 7.30
Diana Vishneva
Igor Kolb

6th August 2pm
Anastasia Matvienko
Denis Matvienko

6th August 6.30
Diana Vishneva
Andrian Fadeyev

Homage to Fokine: Chopiniana / Shéhérazade / Firebird

29th July 7.30

Chopiniana
Maria Shirinkina
Xander Parish
Yana Selina

Firebird
Ekaterina Kondaurova
Konstantin Zverev

Shéhérazade
Diana Vishneva
Igor Zelensky

30th July 2pm
Chopiniana
Oksana Skoryk
Evgeny Ivanchenko
Daria Vasnetsova

Firebird
Anastasia Petushkova
Yuri Smekalov

Shéhérazade
Ekaterina Kondaurova
Igor Kolb

30th July 7.30

Chopiniana
Maria Shirinkina
Xander Parish
Ksenia Ostreikovskaya

Firebird
Ekaterina Kondaurova
Konstantin Zverev

Shéhérazade
Uliana Lopatkina
Daniil Korsuntsev

1st August 7.30

Chopiniana
Anastasia Matvienko
Evgeny Ivanchenko
Daria Vasnetsova

Firebird
Anastasia Petushkova
Yuri Smekalov

Shéhérazade
Viktoria Tereshkina
Vladimir Shklyarov

Don Quixote

2nd August 7.30
Anastasia Matvienko
Denis Matvienko

3rd August 7.30
Evguénia Obraztsova
Alexey Timofeev

Balanchine-Robbins Programme - Scotch Symphony / In The Night / Ballet imperial

4th August 7.30

Scotch Symphony
Anastasia Matvienko
Alexander Sergeev

In the Night
Evguénia Obraztsova
Filip Stepin
Alina Somova
Evgeny Ivanchenko
Uliana Lopatkina
Daniil Korsuntsev

Ballet Imperial
Viktoria Tereshkina
Vladimir Shklyarov

5th August 7.30

Scotch Symphony
Maria Shirinkina
David Hallberg

In the Night
Anastasia Matvienko
Denis Matvienko
Ekaterina Kondaurova
Konstantin Zverev
Victoria Tereshkina
Yuri Smekalov

Ballet Imperial
Alina Somova
Igor Kolb

Anna Karenina

9th August 7.30
Diana Vishneva
Konstantin Zverev

10th August 7.30
Uliana Lopatkina
Yuri Smekalov

La Bayadère

11th August 7.30
Viktoria Tereshkina
Vladimir Shklyarov
Anastasia Matvienko

12th August 7.30
Diana Vishneva
Igor Zelensky
Anastasia Kolegova

13th August 2pm
Alina Somova
Denis Matvienko
Anastasia Matvienko

13th August 7.30
Uliana Lopatkina
Daniil Korsuntsev

Last edited by Cassandra on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:45 pm 

Just now getting to this thread Cassandra. Thanks for posting it.

First, thank God Lopatkina opens and closes. I'm praying (for your and everyone else's sake) that that holds.

Second, what a strange/interesting set of programs, from the all-Fokine to the Scotch+Robbins+Imperial... hm. They dont ever do that combiination here -- they've actually only done Scotch I believe 3 or 4 times (I seem to miss it *each* time due to travels, so I'm hyper aware of it) and usually on a mix with other pieces. At any rate I am VERY curious to hear what people think, how they look etc. I have been told that the new administration is suddenly not very much a fan of the stalwart principals we know and love, which is why I'm happy for you that Lopatkina is indeed opening the tour -- as she should. Sadly Pavlenko isn't even on the tour.

If it were me, I suppose it would not be my choice to have six Swan Lakes in a row with different casts (especially because that role is not the cup of tea for 2 of the ladies on the list). I know they did that for the festival here several years ago but it's not my favorite way to present the Mariinsky. On the other hand, they have three weeks, I guess it is a safe bet to approach it that way, and then viewers can choose their favorite dancers and just selectively attend.

It is a relief that they've kept "Anna" on the list too -- I loved the production when I saw it, and I have heard they fixed the train so all should be stellar. I hope you enjoy it too. I'll be eagerly awaiting feedback from London! :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:13 am 

Cast changes are always a fear so this time around I’ve bought more tickets than I want, mostly standing places, so if they spring any unpleasant surprises I’ll be able to sell them on fairly easily. I imagine the block of Swan Lakes are there simply because the ballet sells, imaginative programming isn’t a feature of Hochhauser seasons.

I didn’t expect to see Pavlenko as she’s been out of favour a long while now, though I understand from your invaluable news items that she is possibly being re-evaluated. To see Vishneva again is a special treat for Londoners, though the exclusion of Osmolkina has upset a lot of us as she earned a lot of new fans in London with those sublime Swan Lakes with the RB. Another exclusion that has caused massive disappointment is the no-show of Igor Kolb who has a legion of fans in London, last time around we saw a number of young men that were frankly not up to international standards and the company does itself no favours when the best are left at home.

Anna Karenina is definitely the must-see item of the season and I’m looking forward to it more than anything else, a shame it only gets two performances though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 am 

You raise interesting points -- I am not sure why Osmolkina isn't included--she just danced her first return in Chopiniana during the festival, and I thought it went quite well. I dont know the reason behind Kolb either unless he is injured or has other engagements or?? I haven't heard reasoning on that yet.

I dont know that Pavlenko was out of favor -- pregnant and then massively injured and then recovering -- although she was obviously never promoted as much as, say, Somova. But, I would say she's out of favor *now*, being given the Street Dancer in Don Quixote tomorrow... The director told her it is a principal role, but I dont see many principals vying for that role in most international companies... Just saying :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 am 

Daria Pavlenko is also dancing Zarema ("The Fountain of Bakhchisarai") the 22nd. That's pretty good, isn't it? It's not the cheeriest of roles, but it does require quite a bit of talent, if I recall correctly.

Yana Selina is dancing Maria. Although she isn't at the top of the Mariinsky list -- This is one very talented lady !

I could also see these roles being reversed with equally good results.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
... Pavlenko ... But, I would say she's out of favor *now*, being given the Street Dancer in Don Quixote tomorrow... The director told her it is a principal role, but I dont see many principals vying for that role in most international companies... Just saying :-)
No, most principals don't "aspire" to dance Street Dancer, when Kitri is the star of the show. I've never thought of Street Dancer as a principal role. "Don Q's" Street Dancer isn't a "Principal role" per se as Fateev may see it (i.e. classical). With Fateev, a role is what he says it is. IMO it's more a character role, a cameo soloist role, at best. It's incidental, and doesn't move the story forward. It's like the Flower Girls, the Eastern Dancer in the tavern scene and the matador in the square and tavern scene. The matador has more character work than the Street Dancer, who only appears in Act 1; and the matador has a different partner in the tavern scene. In Act 1 the Street Dancer's partner is the matador, and their segment is basically a character pdd with ensemble, only the female is en pointe. It's a minor role. But, Dasha (and Katya Kondaurova) are in good company: Alla Shelest and Altynai Asylmuratova danced this role frequently. Shelest danced the role in the shadow of Dudinskaya's Kitri, and Asylmuratova in the shadow of Terekhova's, Komleva's and Tchyentchikova's Kitri.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 am 

Casting changes are beginning already with Vishneva replacing Kondaurova in Swan Lake and dancing opposite Igor Kolb who wasn't originally scheduled to come. Kolb replaces Matvienko in Scheherazade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 am 

Just another note, Osmolkina danced the 3rd movement of Symphony in C last night alongside Schklyarov, so things are fine as far as she goes. (not being sent on tour is another issue)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 am 

I suppose it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Osmolkina could still turn up, but what London likes and what London gets are two different things.

By the way I altered the cast lists for the season to reflect the recent changes and will keep an eye on the ROH website to see if any other dates are altered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:05 am 

With just five days to go the countdown to the Kirov season has well and truly started. I have made another set of changes to the casting lists as there were some alterations to the Balanchine/Robbins programme. The many Obraztsova fans on the board will be delighted to discover she now dances in In the Night and Somova-phobes (in London there are a great many) will be relieved to learn she is now out of Scotch Symphony.

Of course all that may change............

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the updates. They are very helpful.

Profile E-mail