public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mariinsky Ballet 2010-2011 Season
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:12 pm 

Hi again, Natalia.

Hopefully next year we might see you again in Saint Petersburg. I am trying to be there for this year's Festival and will try to write something about it. In the meantime enjoy all the wonderful Mariinsky performances that you are seeing in the US and Canada.

As you know, because you responded so kindly to a post elsewhere, our good friend "jpc" suffered a stroke, but is making an all out effort for a full recovery. So maybe next year we'll all be able to get the gang back together again for the 12th Year of the Festival.

Hang in there Mariinsky. The 'Fan Squad' of RavingEnthusiastObjectivists(?) (or "Raving Энтузиаст объективисты (?)" as translated into russian by Google) hasn't forgotten you ! In the meantime I'm sure that you'll do just greatly-anyway-as usual.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 pm 

Buddy wrote:
.....our good friend "jpc" suffered a stroke, but is making an all out effort for a full recovery. .....

We definitely wish 'jpc' all the best. It's a tough job but he CAN do it; we're pulling for him 101%!!! We hope to see him at future festivals and/or the Raymonda-1898 reconstruction (by Vikharev) at La Scala this October, starring the Mariinsky's Olesya Novikova.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:45 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
We definitely wish 'jpc' all the best.

Absolutely !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:01 am 

Here is some fascinating news. Makhar Vaziev, former Mariinsky artistic director, may now become the Bolshoi's new artistic director.

(Found at the site of Dansomanie (in french)).

This is a rough Google translation of a "Kommersant" article in russian.

"March 15 will be replaced artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet. Already declared that the powers of the current artistic director Yuri [Burlaka] would not be renewed. The question of who will replace him, sharply escalated in recent days.

CEO of the [Bolshoi] Anatoly Iksanov hopes that it will [Makhar] Vaziev, now head of ballet at La Scala - he calls [him] "the most likely candidate."

[15 марта сменится художественный руководитель балета Большого театра. Уже объявлено, что полномочия нынешнего худрука Юрия Бурлаки не будут продлены. Вопрос о том, кто придет на его место, резко обострился в последние дни.

Гендиректор Большого Анатолий Иксанов надеется, что это будет Махарбек Вазиев, ныне возглавляющий балет миланского театра Ла Скала,— его он называет "наиболее вероятным кандидатом".]

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?DocsID=1598084

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:30 am 

Thanks, Buddy. Wow - just wow. There are strong ties binding the two companies, for sure, such as Zakharova's regular guesting at La Scala (before her pregnancy). There is also the Sergei Vikharev link. Vikharev has found a 'welcome mat' in Moscow (2009 Coppelia reconstruction, for ex.) after falling out of favor in St. Petersburg. Also, Vikharev will be/is staging the Raymonda reconstruction for La Scala. I doubt that the premiere will be moved to Moscow, at this late stage, but, if 'Team Vaziyev-Vikharev' takes over the Bolshoi, expect to see the Raymonda reconstruction moving to Moscow sometime in the next 2-3 years.

Rumblings of Burlaka leaving were already being heard a while back, originally being predicted by Moscow newspapers for January 2010...over a year ago. In fact, at that time, the rumor was that Sergei Vikharev (not Makhar Vasiyev) would be taking over at the Bolshoi. But Burlaka soldiers on, although obviously a weakened force, seeing how his plans to reconstruct the 1898 Gorsky version of Sleeping Beauty for the grand reopening of the old Bolshoi Theater this October were scrapped in favor of a 'refreshing' of the Yuri Grigorovich version, with the La Scala sets and costumes (another La Scala connection).

"Follow the dots to discover the truth," as they say.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 am 

An astonishing piece of news, but I wonder how the dancers would take to a non Bolshoi director?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

Vaziev to lead the Bolshoi? I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:32 am 

Ratmansky was not an insider. He may have finished his ballet training at the Moscow school but he was from Ukraine and, by the time that he became director of the Bolshoi in the early '00s, his career had been 'made' elsewhere, including Denmark.

Petipa was also an outsider and he did pretty well for himself as "A.D."/choreographer of the Imperial Theaters.

Igor Zelensky -- an 'outsider director' in Novosibirsk at the moment -- has also been mentioned as a possible new Bolshoi director. But I believe that he is using Novosibirsk as a 'grooming place' for eventual move to Mariinsky, in place of curent Interim Director Yuri Fateev.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 pm 

As posted elsewhere at CriticalDance today, Sergei Filin is now the new Bolshoi artistic director.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34710

I have always liked him as a performer and also since he is the man who is giving Evgenia Obraztsova her first chance to perform Odette-Odile in "Swan Lake" (this month at the Stanislavsky in Moscow, which he currently directs) I have to say that I'm very happy for him.

["viewtopic...." added]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:39 am 

La Bayadère
Mariinsky Theatre
Saint Petersburg, Russia
27 April 2011

By Catherine Pawlick

It has been several years since Daria Pavlenko graced the stage of the Mariinsky Theatre – or any other stage for that matter – as the lead in a full-length ballet. Maternity leave followed by a serious injury were the cause for the interruption for spectators who love and adore her, but the long draught ended on April 27, when she was granted her first Bayadère at the Mariinsky.

Unfortunately the shift in directorship at the Mariinsky means shifts in preferences for casting. Despite their official status, well-known principals such as Lopatkina and Pavlenko, sadly are now rarely given stage time, and at least in Pavlenko’s case she has had to ask for performances. Hardly conditions for a ballerina, but a situation that makes their appearances on stage all the more valuable.

Indeed, Pavlenko's dancing on Wednesday night justified not only her status in the theatre, but more audience exposure. Pavlenko’s Nikiya was expressive, her moods easily read on stage. From her first stately entrance in Act I, dressed with clear pride and willful strength towards the highly emotional Brahmin (Soslan Kulaev), to her utter elation at first greeting Solor (Evgeni Ivanchenko), Pavlenko won over the hearts in the full house.

In the dance of grief in Act II, her deep anguish and disbelief at Solor’s betrayal of their declared love was palpable. But these emotions shifted to bright joy upon receipt of the basket of flowers, her body reflecting the alteration as well: quicker steps, lighter pointework, a willful spirit in her certain culmination of the dance. That determined nature revealed her character’s comprehension of love and promises; Pavlenko’s Nikiya is neither tempted by the power and riches offered her by both the Brahmin and Gamzatti, nor by the prospect of life itself coming to her from the wrong hands: when the Brahmin hands her the antidote, her refusal is decisive. She chooses death with honor, insofar as it is an option, over a life in which she would be indebted to the wrong individual.

Act III brought us another vision of the ballerina: elegant, long lines, reliable and clean execution. No faltering was found here. The pirouettes with the veil were smooth; the turns and maneges perfect. Supported throughout by Evgeni Ivanchenko’s surprisingly strong Solor, Pavlenko’s professionalism spoke through her dance, as she transformed herself into the true vision of Solor’s dream. Ivanchenko is not the fiery type onstage, but in his variations he appeared sleek, his front leg cutting through the air like a knife in the jeté manège. His partnering was faultless.

Anastasia Matvienko, who danced Gamzatti, will perform two days hence in the Tour de Force in Los Angeles, but for now is still dancing almost nightly at the Mariinsky. Her Gamzatti was adequately fearful, jealous and wicked in Act I, before dancing a technically proficient wedding pas de deux with Ivanchenko in Act II.

As one of the four small Bayadères, Maria Shirinkina’s delicate limbs and exact choreographic drawing were pleasing to watch. Svetlana Ivanova’s fragile and girlish Manu was a delight. Corps member Margarita Frolova drew attention for her lovely frame in the Shades scene, where Oksana Skorik delivered a beautiful third variation, her skill in legato evident.

Pavlenko’s triumph on Wednesday night speak to her talents, professionalism, and enduring strength of character as both a ballerina and a human being. Here is to hoping we see more of her on stage, and on tours, in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Pavlenko’s triumph on Wednesday night speak to her talents, professionalism, and enduring strength of character as both a ballerina and a human being. Here is to hoping we see more of her on stage, and on tours, in the near future.

Great news, Catherine !

Thank you.

I couldn't agree with you more.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:51 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Corps member Margarita Frolova drew attention for her lovely frame in the Shades scene, where Oksana Skorik delivered a beautiful third variation, her skill in legato evident.

I just discovered that Margarita Frolova was the lady, who I liked so much in green in Benjamin Millepied's Festival work, "Without." I noticed her because as much as anyone she was able to adapt herself so well to the fast moving, high flying, modern expressiveness of this work, which is quite different from what the Mariinsky dancers are used to.

Also I can't say enough about how much I like Oksana Skorik along with Daria Vasnetsova (a little older) and Maria Shirinkina in the 'new talent department.'

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:51 pm 

I'm rejoicing to hear that Dasha Pavlenko has been given official clearance to return to the Mariinsky stage in one of her signature roles, Nikiya. May she also be granted frequent returns to "Giselle," "Swan Lake," "Raymonda," "Diamonds," etc. rather than the unsubstantial regimen of minor roles she has had to make do with for the past three - almost four seasons, namely: Masha, Cinderella and Street Dancer - roles far below her high caliber, remarkable capabilities and infinite potential. It seems that no matter how long she is absent from the Mariinsky stage in a leading classical role, when she returns to the role she's a miracle - seemingly incapable of putting a foot or limb wrong. I also fervently hope that this will herald the beginning of her long overdue comeback in earnest - a renaissance for her in terms of casting decisions and a prominent place on company tours.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:20 am 

Cygne wrote:
Dasha Pavlenko....her high caliber, remarkable capabilities and infinite potential.

It's seems almost a truth, Cygne, that there's so much fine talent at the Mariinsky, that's it's easy to forget a great artist and move on with the new faces. Thank you and Catherine for not doing this.

Daria Pavlenko in Washington DC several years ago as Giselle performed two of the finest performances that I've ever seen. Her portrayal and dancing were Magnificent ! She also has a wonderful sense of freshness and innocence. When these are all combined she is dancing in the heavens.

And once again, I feel almost compelled to say, that I have chatted with her very briefly a couple of times and she seems like an extremely lovely person. Her daughter is now three years old.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:39 pm 

Catherine -- Have you written a book ? !!!!

http://www.amazon.ca/s?_encoding=UTF8&s ... %20Pawlick

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next