public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kirov-Mariinsky Festival 2011
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:58 pm 

The Mariinsky International Ballet Festival for 2011 will take place from April 14-24, for those who are keen on attending.

Closer to the date as the programs come available, I will post further information here.

Post subject: Re: Kirov-Mariinsky Festival 2011
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:31 pm 

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/fes ... _fest_228/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 pm 

Angelen Preljokaj's "Le Parc" will open the Mariinsky Festival this year on April 14th. Couples rehearsing the roles include Diana VIshneva and Konstantin Zverev, Viktoria Tereshkina and Yuri Smekalov, and Alexander Sergeyev (I believe with Pavlenko but not sure).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 pm 

One of Sylvie Guillem's projects will also be presented during the festival. Additionally, Cuban superstar Viengsay Valdes will return partnered bya Mariinsky dancer (TBD) in "Carmen." Valdes performed at the festival 2 years ago for the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 am 

These are some scheduled performances posted today at the Mariinsky site. No casting has been included.

April 14-24

17 Swan Lake

18 Don Quixote

20 The Sleeping Beauty

21 Romeo and Juliet

23 Giselle

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/nex ... month=show

[spelling correction made]

Last edited by Buddy on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 am 

In addition and interestingly, at two places at the Mariinsky site in russian, is listed "Le Parc," the 14th and 15th as well as the 22nd.

The Gala is scheduled for the 24th, the last day of the Festival as usual.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/ru/playbill/fes ... _fest_228/
http://www.mariinsky.ru/ru/playbill/pla ... 11&month=4

["htttp" corrected and all performances listed at the site in russian are now also listed at their site in english]

[Added]

A fervent hope! Could we possibly be 'blessed' with another "Veronika" (Part) performance? "Swan Lake" and "The Sleeping Beauty" are "Veronika" masterpieces.

ABT doesn't seem to have anything planned for April and if "Marcelo" (Gomes) were to come along --

" Good Golly, Miss Molly !! "

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 am 

Okay, I have to do this one more time.

"La Bayadere" has recently been added to the program, but no cast listed.

If the Mariinsky is still thinking about possible dancers....

"Veronika" (Part), I have read (not had the good fortune to see yet), does an Incredible "La Bayadere" !

With Marcelo Gomes....fasten your seat belts !

[Natalia, if you're still tuned in, will you back me up on this ?]

[And since we've drifted to New York City for the moment ("Veronika's" home for about ten years) has Wendy Whelan ever been to the Festival? What a wonderful talent she is !]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm 

Buddy wrote:
[And since we've drifted to New York City for the moment ("Veronika's" home for about ten years) has Wendy Whelan ever been to the Festival? What a wonderful talent she is !]
Wendy Whelan appeared in the Festival in 2003.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:27 pm 

Cygne wrote:

Thanks, Cygne. Great to hear. I'm glad that at least I've had the chance to see her in New York and on the internet. Do you recall what she danced at the Festival?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:49 am 

Buddy wrote:
Cygne wrote:

Thanks, Cygne. Great to hear. I'm glad that at least I've had the chance to see her in New York and on the internet. Do you recall what she danced at the Festival?

She danced in "Rubies" with J. Soto and Maria Korowski.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 pm 

Thanks again, Cygne.

There are several ballerinas that I have been fortunate to see at the Mariinsky Festivals that interest me very much this year. Please let me mention one for the moment.

Ekaterina Kondaurova

I have never seen her do a 'classical' lead and this year it appears very possible to happen at the Festival based on what she is currently dancing and scheduled to do later this year. According to internet coverage that I've seen of the recent Mariinsky performances in Canada, her Odette-Odile ("Swan Lake" -- 2 performances) and her Act III Nikiya ("La Bayadere" -- one performance) were magnificent. She is scheduled to dance another Odette-Odile this summer in London. It is worth noting that she is doing all this alongside the biggest names in the company.

Ekaterina Kondaurova is a tall statuesque beauty on or off the stage. It's almost a given that she will excel in linear elegance.

What interestingly I've seen the most of is her ability to adapt to any type of dance, especially 'modern' as well as anyone in the company.

Now it appears that she is solidly coming to the forefront as a refined and enchanting 'classical' ballerina.

I hope very much to be able to see her perform one of these 'classics' at this year's Festival.

As a quick aside, her husband, Islom Baimuradov, "Principal Character Artist" may some day be a very worthy successor to the already legendary (in my book anyway) Vladimir Ponomarev, "Principal Character Artist." I had thought that Farukh Ruzimatov might be an excellent successor after seeing his “The Moor’s Pavane” at the 6th Festival a few years ago, but he became the Mikhailovsky's artistic director. He maybe hasn't given up on this type of future as he will be touring next month with "Boléro pour Tahar" et "les Hommes Libres." In any case all these men have plenty of time to continue doing what they are presently doing, which they do very well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm 

Buddy, we are in total agreement about Kondaurova. I stand by my words on another forum, which I believe you read: Kondaurova combines the plasticity and pathos of Veronika Part's Odette with the 'red-headed uber-diva fireworks' of Maya Plisetskaya's Odile. It's an explosive combination and one that I will not forget for the rest of my life. That rainy afternoon in Toronto, I could swear for a moment that I was looking at Maya Plisetskaya but, no, it was Kondaurova - making her own unique magic. And I have no doubt that her Nikiya, Act I and II, will also soften and deepen in character, as she has done with her Odette in the two years that she's been dancing that role. Nikiya is still fairly new to her - less than a year old. She already has Act III (Shades) down pat, though, technically and spiritually. Not to be missed, if you have the chance.

That this magnificent dancer has not yet been promoted to Principal by now is absurd.

That this incredible artist is nominated for a Golden Mask award as Anna Karenina, yet others dance the role in the official presentations of the ballet in Moscow, is downight cruel. It's almost as if the Mariinsky is doing its best to 'derail' the nomination of its own dancer. Why? I understand that Lopatkina and Vishneva -- great artists that they are -- are better known in Moscow but why feature them in the two outings of the work in Moscow when the lady who is nominated in the title role is not even allowed to dance it? At least one of the two Moscow performances could have (should have) gone to Kondaurova. The ballet itself is nominated for best ballet, true, but the only Anna to have been nominated is Kondaurova.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Buddy, we are in total agreement about Kondaurova. I stand by my words on another forum, which I believe you read: Kondaurova combines the plasticity and pathos of Veronika Part's Odette with the 'red-headed uber-diva fireworks' of Maya Plisetskaya's Odile. It's an explosive combination and one that I will not forget for the rest of my life. That rainy afternoon in Toronto, I could swear for a moment that I was looking at Maya Plisetskaya but, no, it was Kondaurova - making her own unique magic. And I have no doubt that her Nikiya, Act I and II, will also soften and deepen in character, as she has done with her Odette in the two years that she's been dancing that role. Nikiya is still fairly new to her - less than a year old. She already has Act III (Shades) down pat, though, technically and spiritually. Not to be missed, if you have the chance.

Natalia, I did indeed read your comments, along with others. What a wonderful addition to what you have already stated, these latest comments are. I do hope to see her perform in April.

I think that we will agree about the next artist as well, Natalia.

There is another lady who will probably be prominent at this year's Festival -- she always is.

Viktoria Tereshkina

(pronounced 'Teryoshkina')

For me, she finally attained the summits two years ago at the 9th Festival with her performance of Odette-Odile ("Swan Lake").

She has to be considered one of the underpinnings of the performing Mariinsky Theatre. Somewhat like Yana Salina, she is always there setting the highest standard and getting the job done. When the Mariinsky was in New York City in 2008 for several weeks, giving possibly the most consistently fine series of performances that I've ever seen them give, it appeared that Viktoria Tereshkina was there, every night that I was there, doing a different work and doing it brilliantly.

The first times that I ever viewed her, it was her totally precise dancing that most impressed me. For one thing she was absolutely in time with every note of the music.

Several years later I saw her perform "Don Quixote." She was doing her normally fine dancing. Alina Somova was dancing the Dryad Queen and, as is her fashion, she sailed across the stage with a series of jumps that ignited the auditorium. Then it was as if Viktoria Tereshkina said, "Well, watch this!," and came alive with an equally fiery display of virtuosity and expressiveness. It was exciting to see, from both of them, and totally appropriate for the work being performed.

The Gala for the 8th Mariinsky Festival opened with George Balanchine's "Ballet Imperial." For me it was one of the finest performances that I've seen at the Festivals. Everything just sailed through the heavens ! Everyone moved together in a perfect state of enchantment. Viktoria Tereshkina was the lead ballerina, and as brilliant as she was, and she was, it was the totality of everyone's performing that carried me off to another level. Yet, she was the lead dancer and an integral part of this amazing event and my admiration for her rose 'exponentially.'

So this brings me back to where I started -- her Mariinsky Festival IX "Odette-Odile." I had seen her perform Odette-Odile twice before and this was again a 'revelation.' I guess that folks don't normally quote themselves, but please allow me to do it here, because it so captured my feelings at the time. Natalia, if you read these comments, I'm sure that you might remember this and our unanimous agreement about how spectacular this performance was.

"Natalia, I now remember that after 'Viktoria's' Act I Odette, during the intermission that followed, for several minutes I just sat in my chair in a 'State of Reverie'. I never felt quite this way before. I might have stayed there the entire intermission, except that I had some friends in the lobby that I really wanted to get together with.

" I had seen two other of her "Swan Lakes" in the last 2 1/2 years and this one was a culmination ! Everything seemed right. All the elements came together ---- purity of Technique combined with a wonderful feeling of Aliveness ---- Magnificent Imagery !!!! ---- Total Flow ---- Positioning ---- expression, individual moves, beautiful and definitive facial expression, warmth, commitment, musicality....Everything ! "

So, for me, she had Arrived. -- Where she goes from here? -- Well the sky's the limit !

[a quick save! -- corrected above. It was "Don Quixote" (Costa Mesa, 2008) and not "Sleeping Beauty" that Viktoria Tereshkina (Kitri) danced, with Alina Somova as the Dryad Queen]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 am 

I totally agree with your words on Terioshkina, Buddy. VT will surely have 'a night' in this year's festival, although I've heard no clues yet. The latest rumblings, from various sources, for the festival are (a) Somova and Stuttgart guest Friedemann Vogel for Sleeping Beauty and (b) Kondaurova and ABT guest David Hallberg for Swan Lake (lucky people who will witness this!). I'm not sure in which ballet Terioshkina will star but she should get one of the big classical ballets...maybe Bayadere or Giselle? She's fantastic in both, although I favor her Bayadere, especially if Shklyarov will be her Solor (Terioshkina/Shklyarov being the BEST of the Bayadere teams in Ottawa, IMO).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:48 am 

The Alinas

Both will probably be prominent at this year's Festival.

Alina Cojocaru

(Royal Ballet)

Alina Cojocaru is a lovely person who also happens to be extremely talented. Both qualities are very apparent in her artistry.

For four years in a row she performed a lead in four different full length classics at the Festival.

Well She's Back !

"Giselle"

(and a Gala appearance, both with Johan Kobborg, according to her own site.)

http://www.alinacojocaru.com/page3.htm

I recently saw her perform "Giselle" with the Royal Ballet in London. She was wonderful !

She has had to go through several years of intensive physical reconstruction. She has changed slightly on stage, possibly because of this.

Before she seemed to be an artist who lived her dreams on stage by living her character. Now I would say that she draws more from within herself and her personal experiences. She seems to have a new inner strength a new depth of understanding and expression. If you have to mature and grow older, it's great if you can do it with a sense of beauty and poetry and this I believe that she has done admirably.

Alina Somova

I have written so much about my admiration for her, that I will only add this brief comment.

Alina Somova is a remarkably talented woman. She has at least the dual capability of being either a celestial/ethereal performer or a virtuoso/bravura firecracker. It's her beautiful gracefulness that I so much appreciate at the moment, but I also feel that George Balanchine and Jerome Robbins could have done something very special as well if they had had Alina Somova to work with. She can do both and does.