public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Grupo Corpo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:32 pm 

Grupo Corpo
By Rose Jennings for The Observer

To call the dancers' movements unabashed would be something of an understatement. Lecuona takes as its target all those nearly violent gestures that stand in for sex in movies of a certain age and temperament.

The girl who 'lovingly' piggybacks her beau, the despairing suitor who buries his face 'adoringly' in his lovely's skirts, the woman 'kittenishly' batting her lover's face... well, we know what that's all about, don't we?

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:23 am 

Quote:
Brazilian brawn without brains
by ISMENE BROWN for the Daily Telegraph

With that pedigree, Brazil's leading contemporary dance company ought be the Ballets Russes, Kylie Minogue and the John Galliano couture show rolled into one.

published: April 20, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:53 am 

O Corpo/Lecuona
By Gavin Roebuck for The Stage

Grupo Corpo are one of Brazil’s most successful contemporary dance ensembles. They use Afro-Brazilian dance moves with classical ballet to latin music.

O Corpo started their dance show with a sequence of flashing red lights as a background for 20 dancers dressed in black costumes performing the rather gymnastic choreography of Rodrigo Pederneiras to a recording of the pulsating music of Arnaldo Antunes.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:29 am 

Mr Dougill is NOT a fan:

Grupo Corpo
By David Dougill for The Sunday Times

There was much cheering at a packed Sadler’s Wells for the opening night of the Brazilian contemporary-dance company Grupo Corpo, and a lot of people had come determined to party. The most encouraging thing I can say of this troupe, founded 30 years ago and on a UK tour, is that its 22 dancers are attractive and full of stamina. My own stamina ran out long before the end of the first piece on this double bill, O Corpo — an interminable 42 minutes.

click for more

Last edited by Stuart Sweeney on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:41 am 

Quote:
Fast and Sometimes Tricky Moves, Straight Out of Brazil
by JOHN ROCKWELL for the New York Times

The choreography is distinctive. It is so high-energy that the occasional adagio moments come as a shock and a relief. It is basically modern dance, whatever that means today: barefoot or with ordinary shoes (flat, high-heeled), with lots of allusions to popular dance (Brazilian street dance, ballroom dance, African dance) and even to ballet. There is elegance here, but also deliberate dislocation: hips thrust out, women leaping suddenly into the arms of their partners and into tricky, sometimes scary-looking lifts.

published: October 27, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am 

Well, Grupo Corpo brought two contrasting works to BAM in Brooklyn, NYC: Lecuona, a ballroom-inspired series of duets, and Onqoto, a hybrid modern dance-Afro Brazilian concoction.

The former work showcased the company's agility and flawless technique -- they executed the most difficult lifts so elegantly that it's easy to forget how much effort it must take. However, I found the work tedious with my attention span beginning to wane aftet only half of the series of eight to ten duets. With all these talented dancers available, choreographer and artistic director Rodrigo Pederneiras could have used the talent pool in a more creative way.

While Lecouna exuded elegance, Onqoto was about the "Big Bang," or so the program notes claim but then again the notes was written so esoterically that one can't be too sure... Ultimately, the work represented a huge canvas that drew from modern dance, Afro-Brazilian rhythms, hip-hop and did I see some Broadway jazz moves too? Madonna would have been comfortable in this piece. Nevertheless, the crowd thoroughly enjoyed it. Rhythmic drumming can always get a crowd excited.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:34 am 

Quote:
Fusion Troupe From Brazil Takes Brooklyn by Storm
by EVA YAA ASANTEWAA for the Village Voice

Viewers gasp, and other choreographers — from ballet to Broadway — must be hotly envious of Rodrigo Pederneiras for his gifted, glamorous Brazilian crew.

published: November 8, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:43 am 

Seattle press reviews of Grupo Corpo's March 2-4, 2006 performances at the University of Washington's Meany Hall in Seattle. Alice Kaderlan in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Seattle P-I

Mary Murfin Bayley in the Seattle Times:

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:01 pm 

After seeing the O Corpo/Lecuona programme in Birmingham last year I bought the DVD as soon as I could. O Copro is a piece I feel that I will never get bored of, it's one of those unique works that come along once in a rare while which you know you'll never see anything like again.

well....that's my opinion anyway! :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:30 pm 

Grupo Corpo returns to the University of Washington World Dance Series at Meany Hall, April 2-4, 2009. Michael Upchurch previews the program in the Seattle Times:

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 pm 

Grupo Corpo performed at the 2010 Edinburgh Festival. Alice Bain reviews the performance in The Guardian.

The Guardian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 pm 

In the Seattle P-I, Alice Kadderlan reviews Grupo Corpo's appearance at the University of Washington's Meany Hall on Thursday, February 3, 2011.

Seattle P-I

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 pm 

Michael Upchurch reviews the Thursday, February 3, 2011 performance at the University of Washington's Meany Hall in the Seattle Times.

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail