public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Russian State Ballet of Siberia 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm 

The Russian State Ballet of Siberia is touring the U.K. with "Swan Lake." David Bellan reviews a January 2011 performance in the Oxford Tiimes.

Oxford Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Russian State Ballet of Siberia 2011
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 pm 

Ismene Brown reviews the Russian State Ballet of Siberia's performance of "Swan Lake" in Oxford (alongside a review of the Royal Ballet's "Giselle") in The Arts Desk.

The Arts Desk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:54 am 

Some very harsh words from Ismene Brown that are rather at odds with what the local critic has to say, but her anti-Russian rhetoric is nothing new.

This is not a company that I am familiar with but I reviewed their Romeo & Juliet in 2006 and was impressed with what I saw at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26769

I'm not at all sure if I'll be able to catch this company on tour, but if I do I'll report back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 am 

The Nutcracker (25th January)
The Sleeping Beauty (26th January)
Russian State Ballet of Siberia
Fairfield Hall
Croydon

The Fairfield Concert Hall was packed almost to the rafters for The Russian State Ballet of Siberia’s productions of Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty, though surprisingly there were few children in evidence in the sizeable audience. I don’t usually like to sound unkind where out of town venues are concerned but it was distracting to be sitting next to a woman so vast that I felt anorexic by comparison and a man with seriously anti-social gastric problems and when the lights finally (we observed the Russian tradition of starting late on both evenings) went down it was to a music-drowning chorus of scores of rustling sweet wrappers.

To move on to the Ballet; their Nutcracker was loosely based on the standard Russian Vainonen version, which is to say that some of the choreography was familiar but it frequently went its own perverse way. The sets were of the touring variety, vaguely appropriate but flimsy looking though the costumes were okay. The dancers were a mixed bunch with the corps looking good as snow flakes, a nice Spanish dance but the rest all rather substandard. The principals were an a attractive young looking couple, she a little like Ananiashvili facially, but sadly without her musicality, and he a fresh faced slender danseur with a lot of promising qualities. The names I cannot give you as it appears the concept of cast lists hasn’t caught on at this venue.

The following night I resolved to buy a glossy programme for the Sleeping Beauty performance but none were on sale on the door as I took my seat, just a young man walking along an aisle miles from where I was sitting waving programmes into the air in a uninterested fashion and in the interval I was told they were no longer selling programmes; only ice creams. Rather exasperating to go twice and have no opportunity to identify just who I was watching.

Whereas the night before the costumes for Nutcracker were okay, for Beauty they were downright weird and the sets were once again flimsy with just the odd baroque swirl suggesting the rococo period. In the prologue there were but four fairies, their variations performed out of the accepted sequence with the ‘finger’ variation danced first, oddly the fairies didn’t have wings, though their male attendants did. They were led by a really impressive Lilac fairy, sweet but regal and a formidable opponent to a Carabosse with a fine malicious attitude and commanding stage presence. The principal couple were the pair I saw the night before and both were on even better form than in Nutcracker, with the lady in particular dancing a very nice Rose Adagio, perhaps the fact that she was dancing Petipa rather than the peculiar version of the Sugar Plum Fairy variation of the night before accounted for her looking so much more at ease.

The company tours with its own chamber sized orchestra that on the whole played very well, though the vicious cuts to Sleeping Beauty were insensitive; couldn’t a couple of linking bars have been devised?

In general I was disappointed with these two performances even though a few dancers just made the evening worthwhile. Having seen the company before I expected a higher standard and in its present state the troupe compares unfavourably with others that regularly tour in the U.K. such as St Petersburg Ballet Theatre, though I should point out that from comments I overheard from other audience members as I left the theatre, they seem to have sent the Croydon punters home happy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm 

Justine Blundell reviews the Russian State Ballet of Siberia's performance of "Don Quixote" at the Edinburgh Playhouse for the Edinburgh Guide.

Edinburgh Guide

Profile E-mail