public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mikhailovsky Ballet visit London July 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm 

Following the successful season in 2008, The Mikhailovsky Ballet are returning to the London Coliseum. This time for two weeks (14 shows).
13th July - 25th July 2010.
The repertoire will be
Swan Lake UK Premiere of new production
Giselle
Cipollino UK Premiere
Triple Bill
Laurencia World Premiere of 1st new production in 50 years

Tickets are now on sale on the London Coliseum website http://www.eno.org and Box office:

Join my facebook page: Gavin Roebuck Arts Management for more info.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/London-United-Kingdom/Gavin-Roebuck-Arts-Management/66401963026?ref=ts

Thank you for your support.
http://www.gavinroebuck.com

Last edited by Gavin Roebuck on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mikhailovsky Ballet visit London July 2010
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:18 am 

I thought I might add some details from the latest press release about this forthcoming Mikhailovski season that Gavin Roebuck has posted under Press Releases (full content here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33945 )

Dates of the ballets and information about the less familiar items:

Following their successful 2008 visit the company, now in their 177th season, come to the capital with another exciting two-week season.

Swan Lake July 13 | July 14 | July 17 | July 22 | July 23 | July 24 | July 25 |
The UK premiere by Mikhail Messerer of this Russian classic.

Music: Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Choreography: Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, Alexander Gorsky, Asaf Messerer, Revised by: Mikhail Messerer, Set and Costume Design: Simon Virsaladze, Principal Designer of the Revival: Vyacheslav Okunev

Giselle July 15 | July 16 |
Making a welcome return to London is their beautiful two act ballet from the Romantic Era.

Music: Adolphe Adam, Choreography: Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot, Marius Petipa, Libretto: Jules-Henri Vernoy de Saint Georges, Théophile Gautier, Jean Coralli, Production: Nikita Dolgushin, Sets and Costume Design: Vyacheslav Okunev

Cipollino July 17 | July 24 |
The UK premiere of this enchanting two act work popular with children and adults.

Music: Karen Khachaturian, Choreography: Genrikh Mayorov, Libretto: Gennady Rykhlov edited by Genrikh Mayorov after the fairy tale by Gianni Rodari, Sets and Costume Design: Valery Leventhal.

This ballet enchants you from its very first minute. The harmony of the melodic and ear-catching music by Karen Khachaturian, bright sets and costumes by Valery Leventhal and vivid choreography by Genrikh Mayorov, perfect both for children and for grown-ups, made it a real blockbuster. In London, an extra element is added: a narrator will deliver the storyline and introduce the characters. The fairy-tale story by Italian author Gianni Rodari tells of the adventures of the Little Onion boy (in Italian, Cipollino), who fights the unjust treatment of his fellow vegetable folk (his little girlfriend Radish, old Mr Pumpkin, handyman Master Grape) by the fruit aristocracy (foppish Prince Lemon, martinet Signor Tomato and Count Cherry. Even though the ballet was created especially for young people, it never lacks the “serious” choreography of classical ballet. The principals of the Mikhailovsky Ballet really enjoy themselves turning from Siegfrieds and Odettes into vegetables and fruits. The rhythms of dance, the portrayal and humour of the characters and the exceptional performances will keep everyone enthralled.

Laurencia July 20 | July 21 |
London will be the first city in the world to witness this historical revival of the famous two act ballet, after a fifty year absence from stage, in a new full-length production created for the Mikhailovsky by Mikhail Messerer.

World Premiere of the revival based on Lope de Vega’s Fuente Ovejuna.
Music: Alexander Krein, Choreography: Vakhtang Chabukiani, Production: Mikhail Messerer

The Mikhailovsky Theatre presents the revival of Vakhtang Chabukiani’s masterpiece Laurencia, based on the play Fuente Ovejuna by Lope de Vega. Chabukiani was one of the first to create a new choreographic language by means of his own particular blend of folk dance and classical ballet. In his ballet to the tuneful music of Alexander Krein, Chabukiani asserted the importance of male dance, furthering in particular the notion of the “heroic” style. Laurencia was premiered of 1939 at the Kirov Theatre. Leading parts were performed by Natalia Dudinskaya (Laurencia), Vakhtang Chabukiani (Frondoso) and Tatiana Vecheslova (Pascuala). In 1956 the ballet was staged at the Bolshoi Theatre where Vakhtang Chabukiani partnered Maya Plisetskaya.

Triple Bill | July 18 |
This exhilarating and exuberant performance shows the talents of the Mikhailovsky dancers.
Le Halte de cavalerie (Cavalry Halt) Choreography: Marius Petipa, Music : Ivan Armsheimer
New Piece Choreography: Viacheslav Samodurov, Music: Domenico Scarlatti
Divertissements

At their London debut in July 2008 in London this programme was greeted with countless curtain calls and critical appreciation. This season the Triple Bill programme includes Le Halte de cavalerie (Cavalry Halt) by Marius Petipa, giving the audience a second chance to see the light hearted classic gem created in 1896 to music by Ivan Armsheimer. A premiere created especially for the Mikhailovsky Ballet by Viacheslav Samodurov to music by Domenico Scarlatti. The Divertissements will crown the programme. They include Asaf Messerer’s breathtaking pas de deux Spring Waters to the music of Sergei Rachmaninov, staged by Mikhail Messerer and a pas de deux from Mikhailovsky’s exuberant production of Spartacus choreographed by Georgy Kovtun. It is a great opportunity to see both contemporary and classical ballets performed by true virtuosi.

As far as I am aware, Laurencia hasn't been seen in the original full-length version in London before and nor has Cipollino. Personally I've only seen the well known Laurentia pas de six, though I did see Cipollino in Moscow, some years ago and I remember it as highly amusing though I was a bit confused as to the story line so the planned innovation of a narrator sounds a very good idea. These two will I'm sure be very popular and I understand there is already some excitement amongst UK ballet-goers at the mouth-watering prospect of seeing Laurentia in its complete form.

When they last visited the company gave just one performance of Petipa's Le Halte de cavalerie (Cavalry Halt) and it was a huge hit with everyone who saw it. I'm also very pleased to note the Vyacheslav Samodurov finally gets a major showing of his choreography in London as in my opinion he has a prodigious creative talent.

Looks like an enjoyable summer ahead!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:34 am 

I have to say I am impressed by this imaginative programming, especially by the world premiere of the revival of "Laurencia". Vahktang Chabukiani is known for his significant contributions to the 1941 version of "La Bayadere", which forms the basis of most of the productions we see today, but he deserves to have a much higher profile and hopefully this staging will help matters. He was also a spectacular dancer, as John Martin wrote about him in 1934: "Cultural relations with the U.S.S.R where resumed last night when Vecheslova and Chabukiani from Marinsky Theatre, Leningrad, made their American debut..... Chabukiani is a swarthy young giant with dashing manner and a facility for doing unbelievable technical tricks. His leaps, his turns, his lifts are phenomenal.

Chabukiani made a huge contribution to ballet in his native Gaorgia when he returned there from the Kirov in 1941, but inevitably, his peers in St. Petersburg and Moscow got far more of the limelight. The ballet school in Tbilisi bears his name and graduates include: Nina Ananiashvili, Irma Nioradze, Nika Tsiskaridze, Igor Zelinski, Maia Zurashvili, David Makhateli, Elene Glurjidze, Lali Kandelaki.

Turning again to the programme, I also look forward to seeing again the delicious "Cavalry Halt" and indeed all the ballets from this adventurous classical company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:35 pm 

I agree that the Mikhailovsky Ballet’s programme is very interesting and I secured my tickets in spite some clashes with the Bolshoi’s performances.
But it seems to me it is not being promoted well. The tickets were available for about 3 weeks now, however, when I was at the Coliseum’s box office yesterday, there were still no leaflets advertising this tour. :( So I was able to get the kind of seats, which would have gone usually in the first few days. :D

It will be very good if this tour helps to make the name of Vakhtang Chabukiani more familiar to Western ballet-goers, especially because the 12th of March this year will see the centenary of his birth. First of all, he was of course a stunning, ‘blockbusting’ dancer. I saw him when he was in his 40-s (Basil) and even 50s (Othello) but his dancing and especially energy were of a young man. His additions to male variations in Le Corsaire and La Bayadere turned them into the most exciting pieces. Who knows how the Diana & Acteon pas de deux would have looked if Vaganova didn’t have Chabukiani to inspire her on that virtuosic choreography.

It is true that Zelensky was one of Chabukiani’s last pupils. However, not all who started their studies in Tbilisi stayed there till graduation. Nina Ananiashvili (Zolotova’s class) and Nikolai Tsiskaridze (Pestov’s class) were graduates of the Bolshoi Ballet Academy; Elena Glurjidze (Kunakova’s class) graduated from the Vaganova Academy and David Makhateli – from the Royal Ballet School.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:31 am 

I remember seeing a stage production of Lope de Vega’s Fuente Ovejuna at the National, quite a few years ago now. It was a very grim tale about how a wicked over lord terrorised the inhabitants of Fuente Ovejuna and practised the evil droit de seigneur on the local women. Laurencia heroically escapes his clutches and inspires the villagers to revolt. They kill their oppressor and then the entire village is tortured to discover who is responsible but they only say "Fuente Ovejuna" eventually the king & queen hear the story and the villagers are pardoned. It was a gritty piece in spite of being written in the 17th century with harrowing scenes of gang rape and gruesome murder, but it is actually a true story and the events really happened in 15th century Spain.

It is understandable that a story of a peoples uprising would appeal to the Soviets, but difficult to equate the dark story line of the play with the sunny dancing of the ballet version.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm 

Thank you for your interest in this visit - and your appreciation that tickets are made available as soon as possible for fans rather than waiting for the full advertising and marketing campaign, though the visit was publicised in the ENO season brochure before booking opened.
www.gavinroebuck.com

Post subject: Who?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:15 am 

I was at the coliseum last night to see the Mark Morris company and while I was there I picked up some flyers for the summer visit of the Mikhailovsky Co. - very handy as I want to send one to France for a friend who's interested in coming over for them. However I was very surprised by the picture on the front of a ballerina in Swan Lake as it appears to be Anastasia Volochkova (!) Of course she may have a double in the company, or then again she may be guesting: I wonder which?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Who?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am 

Cassandra wrote:
However I was very surprised by the picture on the front of a ballerina in Swan Lake as it appears to be Anastasia Volochkova (!) Of course she may have a double in the company, or then again she may be guesting: I wonder which?

Hi Cassandra. Mikhailovsky Principal Ekaterina Borchenko somewhat resembles Volochkova. Who knows? I doubt A.V. would condescend to guest or tour with the Mikhailovsky. That would be like Diana Vishneva touring with the Hermitage Ballet or SPBT.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:04 am 

As stated on the leaflet the cover photograph is Ekaterina Borchenko a Principal dancer of the Mikhailovsky Ballet.

Casting and booking information and photos are on:
http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/london2010
Articles and features in Dance Dynamic Magazine www.dancedynamicmag.co.uk and in IDTA members magazine Dance International

http://www.gavinroebuck.com

Last edited by Gavin Roebuck on Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:23 am 

..... //./

Last edited by Gavin Roebuck on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 am 

really excited about this!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:37 pm 

Gavin,

We are all looking forward to this visit very much, especially to see some of the new repertoire to London. To have Laurencia is wonderful!

However...the casting is unfortunately bizarre, and seems to be rather missing the point. Specifically:

- Where is SABINA YAPPAROVA? 2 Cipollinos only in lead roles. She should be dancing both Odette / Odile and Giselle - she does dance both roles. Although not a Principal, Sabina is a great classical ballerina, one of, if not the (IMHO) most beautiful ballerinas in the company - she is very well known and loved in the UK for her lead roles on tour with the Tachkin ballet, before she joined the Mikhailovsky. Yet in London no Swan Lake or Giselle for her. Gavin we want to see these great dancers from within the company - Sabina made a great impression with the ballet fans in London 2 years ago in peasant pas de deux etc - everyone was talking about the beautiful girl with the lovely long expressive arms, hoping to see her in lead roles next time. Alla Osipenko adores Sabina - and has worked with her extensively. Please ask Mr Messerer to give her at least 1 each of Odette / Odile and Giselle - I know myself of at least 20 ballet fans who would book to see her take a lead, and the box office needs them!

- Whilst we are all very excited to have a chance to see what Ekaterina Borchenko can do, the repetition in the casting is most unusual and reduces the likelihood of repeat viewings to see different casts (which again the box office needs) - Borchenko 4 Swan Lakes out of 7, Perren both Giselles (give us a second Giselle - Sabina!), Marat Shemiunov 5 out of 7 Prince Siegfrieds! The company surely could support others in Principal roles - Andrey Yakhnyuk can turn out a perfectly decent Siegfried for example.

- And why so many guests? Whilst Semionova and Semionov are a natural and very welcome choice, does the Mikhailovsky really need Zdenek Konvalina (he was I fear a most lacklustre guest with ENB in recent times)? And how strange to ask Tamara Rojo to guest in London in Swan Lake - her home city where she dances the role endlessly with the Royal Ballet - Coals to Newcastle...this would be rather like the Royal Ballet touring to St Petersburg and asking Lopatkina to guest with them in Swan Lake at the Mariinsky! Nothing at all against Ms Rojo (a fine dancer) - but this is taking away a possible chance for someone like Sabina Yapparova to dance Odette / Odile for the one time in her life on the Coliseum stage. This seems so unfair for both the Mikhailovsky ballerinas and the fans, who can see Tamara in this role anytime in London!

- If the Mikhailovsky was so keen to invite some guests to London, why not make it more interesting for the fans here, and more authentically Russian in style and technique. They should invite the great St Petersburg Ballerina IRINA KOLESNIKOVA to guest with them - this would make much more sense - a great Prima Ballerina who is very popular and much loved in London (her Coliseum Bayadere was a total sell out), but who unfortunately has very rare opportunities to appear in London. Now that would be a crowning achievement for this season in Swan Lake, Giselle and the Gala divertissements! A St Petersburg company, presenting great St Petersburg Ballerinas.

The draw of great Russian Ballerinas like Kolesnikova and Yapparova who are known to and already loved in London will give much needed help to the box office.

Let's hope Gavin, Mikhail Messerer and the company management can have a relook at these casting arrangements - More of Sabina Y and Irina K in London please!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:19 pm 

It is no surprise that major international artists want to dance with the Mikhailovsky Ballet a company that also gives opportunites to new talent.

Isabella McGuire Mayes, 17,who left her home in Highbury north London last year to be the first British student in over 270 years at the world famous Vaganova Academy in St Petersburg returns to the capital to dance at the London Coliseum, the largest theatre in London, with St Petersburg’s prestigious Mikhailovsky Ballet during their season 13 – 25 July.

Isabella is in Mikhail Messerer’s new production of Swan Lake receiving its London premiere on 13th July.

A thrilled Isabella said: "It's a fantastic opportunity to work with the Mikhailovsky Ballet. I've really enjoyed learning their revived version of Swan Lake. I liked the challenge of learning quickly and performing it in St Petersburg. The other dancers in the corps de ballet are lovely people and very helpful when I was learning it. I have two years left at the Vaganova Ballet Academy so I really appreciate them asking me to take part. It's going to be a wonderful experience coming home to London, with this excellent Russian company."

Mikhail Messerer the Mikhailovsky Ballet’s chief ballet master said: “I spotted this brilliant girl in a school class and straight away invited her to join us on our London tour - without realising she was British - the realization came as total surprise and a bonus”!

Isabella will be dancing in the corps de ballet in all performances of Swan Lake. The Mikhailovsky Ballet is at the London Coliseum 13-25 July 2010 Tickets eno.org Box office 0871 911 0200. London Tour site: http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/london2010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:13 am 

Having scrutinised the casting I have to say I'm surprised too that Sabina Yapparova isn't dancing Swan Lake, she danced the role regularly in the UK during her time with StPBT and was a very fine exponent of the role as you would expect by a dancer coached by the great Alla Osipenko.

Still, I suppose early casting list are often preliminary, so I'll cross my fingers that we may yet see her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 pm 

More on Isabella McGuire Mayes' selection to perform in the "Swan Lake" corps with the Mikhailovsky Ballet at the London Coliseum by Miranda Bryant in the London Evening Standard.

London Evening Standard

Profile E-mail