public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 Golden Mask Nominations
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:48 pm 

The Maryinsky Theatre has received 13 Golden Mask nominations for 2010.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/news1/11_december/
:arrow: *(There's a surprise nominee).

The Golden Mask site has the full list of all categories and nominees in Russian. The English
sublink isn't available yet.

http://www.goldenmask.ru/news.php?nid=988&year=

Post subject: Re: 2010 Golden Mask Nominations
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 am 

I've slept on this and I've checked the links again. Somova's nomination for Best Female in Ballet for "Little Humpbacked Horse" is still there. It's not a mistake; it's not a typo. At first I thought this was some kind of perverse joke, but no; unfortunately they're not joking. Where to begin? Well, rather than start at the sad beginning of the tale that is Somova, let's focus specifically on what has occurred here. A Principal Dancer, who has earned that title, an Honored Artist of the Russian Federation, who, besides Lopatkina, is reputedly the best active female Maryinsky Principal onstage, has been shafted. Victoria Tereshkina has been handed a very public and insulting back-handed slap in the face by the Golden Mask panel.

This nomination is equally shocking and controversial because Tereshkina was hand-picked by Alexei Ratmansky for the role of the Tsar Maiden. The ballet was choreographed on her, and she danced the premiere to great acclaim and success during the recent Maryinsky International Ballet Festival. Somova was second cast, not his first choice, and she was shoe-horned by her coach and the management into getting that second cast spot. Per eyewitnesses and media reports, Somova was woefully inferior to Tereshkina in all respects.

I've come to the conclusion that Alina Somova is the Michaele Salahi of ballet - the mother of all gate crashers. Of course, Tereshkina was and is superior to Somova. And that's the point isn't it? Tereshkina's not the only one: There is an army of female dancers in all the ranks who are superior to Somova in all categories. As with all of them, in this particular case, superiority, plus created role/opening night credits and critical acclaim do not matter. Somova's sponsors are hell bent on "acquiring" fame and notoriety for her - despite the fact she is the worst of this generation on the Maryinsky boards. The questions are: Did Vicky's name, and the facts mentioned above come up at all during the nominee selection process? Was Ratmansky consulted before this decision was made? And, if these points above did enter into their deliberations, who or what persuaded them to hang this "U turn" and nominate Somova over Tereshkina? It's rather obvious that the, what shall we call this (?), oh yes - fix - is in. This is insane atrocious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 am 

I agree Cygne. Above all it is strange that a second-cast dancer would be nominated when the woman on whom the ballet was created was not considered. It's just... I'm speechless, it makes no sense. I saw both performances of "Horse" and when Tereshkina danced the role came alive - she captured the nuances of humor and comedy that Ratmansky had etched into the pantomime, and she *also* executed the steps in a clearer fashion. I enjoyed her performance...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:12 am 

Cygne wrote:
......I've come to the conclusion that Alina Somova is the Michaele Salahi of ballet - the mother of all gate crashers. ......

ROTFL!!! So right - they even LOOK the same. Two fakes with "homely faces" crowned by bottled-blonde hair.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:42 am 

I note that Natalia Osipova is also nominated for her role in another Ratmansky work, Russian Seasons. Let's hope she will win the award.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 am 

I echo your sentiments, Cassandra. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm 

I suppose the Plisteskaya earrings really helped Somova as an endorsement.

I have given up on the award-selection process in ballet. I am waiting for Benois de la Danse to give a prize to Somova.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:53 pm 

(laughing). I dont know whether to laugh or cry at this point!