public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Kirov Ballet, 2009-2010 Season
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:24 pm 

I'm starting a new thread for this new season, as I just realized we'd started discussing it in the old thread!

As a brief note, both Ilya Kuznetsova and Igor Kolb have just received the title Honored Artist of Russia. Congratulations to them both!

This fall's highlights will include the return of Scotch Symphony to the repertoire (or at least to the stage) on October 30th and Nov. 6th.

And in November, several repeats (Vishneva's Beauty in Motion and her in Swan Lake as well).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:45 am 

Thank you for the wonderful news about Mr. Kuznetsov and Mr. Kolb. Catherine I will be in St. Petersburg in December/January. Do you know when they will post the performances and casting for December/January?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 am 

Hi VRS,

How exciting to hear about your upcoming trip! I don't know for sure, but the December casting is usually posted sometime soon, because many people make reservations for their New Year's Eve performances/gala events. I would guess by month's end we should know about December.

January is a tossup, as there have been years where they have waited until mid- (or even late-) December to actually post the casting. However with the new subscription system, I think things should go up much sooner, bc they've already promised certain performances on certain dates.

So, here is to hoping both months will be posted soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:24 am 

VRS, another thing to note is the company usually is in Baden-Baden the last two weeks of December and into Jan. 1st (just around the New Year). I'm not sure about that tour this year but I will ask about it.

Just pulling from the Subscription booklet:

Dec. 6: Fokine Evening (Chopiniana, Spectre de la Rose, Dying Swan, Carnavale)
Dec. 11: Fountain of Bachchisarai
Dec. 13: Nutcracker (Shemyakin version)
Dec. 20: Prodigal Son, Apollo, La Valse

Jan. 26 Raymonda (Tereshkina)
Jan. 29: Rubies, Apollo, Rite of Spring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:06 pm 

Thank you Catherine for the information. I will watch the website and any other information that may be posted here. When I lived in St. Petersburg, often if the ballet was on tour there were still ballet perfomances at Mariinsky. I will be happy to be in the cold, see my friends and visit the wonderful city! :D Seeing the company again would be extra special though. It seems I am able to travel to Russia when the Kirov in on tour. 2nd visit in 15 years...no ballet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm 

Argh, i can relate! Well, you *will* see some Kirov Ballet dancers onstage at the Mariinsky, because you are right: even if the main troupe is on tour, the reserves will still be around to perform.

Around New Year's though, there does tend to be more opera... No comment on that of course :-).

Since they cut back US tours for this year, I have no idea how this December will play out. I thought I recalled hearing that they may be in Japan in December (or am I confusing it with last year?) It is very rare that they do not return back by Jan. 1 though (it is SUCH a big holiday in Russia, as you know, that I truly think that this has something to do with it, their insane year-round schedule void of weekends and normal days off notwithstanding.) If memory serves, almost without exception the entire company was here and in the studios rehearsing on Jan. 2 the past five years. Maybe 1 or 2 dancers were returning from somewhere but by and large they are usually here to start the new year (and new rehearsals, typcially, for whatever the spring programs hold).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 pm 

Thank you. This is great news. I will get to work! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:21 pm 

Catherine...please could you do me a favour...seeing as you are on-site so to speak...

Could you please try to find out two things regarding the Baden tour this year - assuming that is this has yet been decided and you are able to find out:

1) The likely principal casting for the single La Sylphide on 27th Dec?
2) The programme, and if availble the provisional casting, for the Gala programme on the 28th Dec? We have no idea yet even what the programme is, and previously that has been known by this time?

Any information you can find out from your contacts regards the above would be sincerely appreciated.

Many thanks
Tahor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 pm 

Hi Tahor,

Once something is posted, I"ll let you know. Nothing is up yet though. But you're right that Baden Baden is happening:

http://www.festspielhaus.de/en/what-s-o ... artist%5D=

So, VRS, we know for sure the big names won't be around until after they return from this tour...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 am 

I am generally not interested in seeing the "big names". I can enjoy going to the ballet to see a production, hear the orchestra, choreography and perhaps emerging young dancers. Very few of the stars of the years I was in St. Petersberg are still performing so I am happy to see the faces of today. Many of the graduating class of 1995 are noted dancers of today, but many do not travel as much as they used to. I remain hopeful. Thank you so much for your kindness and any help you are able to give.

The good news is I do not leave Russia before they return from Baden-baden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:12 pm 

Some exciting news. Zhenya Obratsova will dance Aurora at Covent Garden twice...

http://www.roh.org.uk/whatson/productio ... _session=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am 

Ekaterina Kondaurova has promoted to First Soloist! Congratulations to Katya - well done :D !

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ball ... _soloists/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 pm 

Thanks for posting that, Cygne. Far as I'm concerned, she should already be a principal, but...baby steps :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:00 am 

At least this is one promotion that is deserved!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 am 

Congratulations to "Big Red." 8)

But for her to make Principal status she has to do a LOT more big time soloist dancing roles. In my opinion, not going to happen with Ulyana Lopatkina still very active as the most popular of the MT's female Principal status dancers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next