home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston Ballet moving to Opera House
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:56 am 

From Geoff Edgers in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
Exit Citi Center
After more than 30 years performing at the city’s biggest and most opulent theater, on Tremont Street, Boston Ballet has signed a long-term deal to move its season into the recently restored Opera House, beginning in 2009.
More than a year of negotiations between the Citi Center and the ballet, both nonprofits, broke down over the company’s insistence that any new contract involve “The Nutcracker.”

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 am 

Here's a link to the Ballet's press release: Opera House to be Boston Ballet's Permanent Performance Venue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:52 am 

This seems like a good move with all the news about the shenanigans at the city center. What say you locals? Is this a good thing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 am 

From Jeffrey Gantz in the Boston Phoenix:
Quote:
Pas de divorce - Opera House captures Boston Ballet’s heart

Is Boston Ballet — which, despite being a young (40 years) outfit in a smallish town with limited corporate and public support, has become one of America’s top ballet companies — headed down to the minors? .... Nissinen is adamant that this is an opportunity for the company to control its future.

More from the Phoenix

And an editorial from the Boston Globe:
Quote:
Boston Ballet stays on its toes
THE BOSTON Ballet has just secured a new home, signing a 30-year lease at the Opera House. It’s a welcome sign of stability after an era of tumult - from venue changes to the pending departure of executive director Valerie Wilder to the announcement that nine dancers will be cut at this season’s end.

More from the Globe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:41 am 

Two great articles. Thanks for posting them.

The first one puzzles me. It seems that the writer is suggesting that a move away from the Wang is a sign of bad-ness, when I see it only as good. With all the silliness going on in the management ranks of Citi Center, it makes lots of sense for a ballet company (and, really, any smart, self-preserving non-profit arts organization) to run as FAST as they can from that disaster of a venue. It wouldn't surprise me if Boston Lyric Opera jumped ship as soon as they could.

It seems to put the management of the Opera House in good light that they are willing to work so accomodatingly with the Ballet. But maybe it just makes good business sense. Guaranteed revenue, even if it is smaller than what a commercial venture might pay, is better than unstable revenure, especially in a recession.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:38 pm 

I'm not sure Gantz meant to suggest that the move to the Opera House itself is bad, but that it is one more change for the company announced in recent weeks that might raise questions about the ballet's future.

I agree that in many ways the move will be a good one, and I was especially glad to read that the Opera House management will work with BB, in particular with J. McPhee, to design a better orchestra pit. The high quality of the music is one of BB's assets.

I no longer have inside contacts at the ballet, but as a long time subscriber am hopeful that BB will succeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:10 pm 

I actaully see these changes as signs that BB is heading for a healtier future rather than headed down the drain. From an outside stand point they've been dragging around some dead-weight with the size of the company and the contract with the Wang, which obviously did not value themas a performing asset. A nimbler company with a smallet venue that will be easier to fill makes their financial future more secure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:46 am 

In the Boston Globe, Goeff Edgers describes the improved orchestra pit in the Opera House, and some of the impacts of the move:
For Boston Ballet, Opera House a better fit with improved orchestra pit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:14 am 

So...is this good news?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 am 
i think not so good no i need more time to get there :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:59 am 

Though primarily about opera, this article by Jeremy Eichler in the Boston Globe mentions the pleasure Boston Ballet's orchestra now has playing there:
Quote:
Ghost opera - The rise and fall of the original Boston Opera House - and the void it left behind
Meanwhile, the happiest conductor working in a Boston pit these days must surely be Jonathan McPhee of Boston Ballet, which has now officially moved into the Opera House on Washington Street. “We’re loving it,’’ he said recently by phone of the ballet’s new home. “The consensus of all the musicians is it’s a wonderful environment to play in.’’

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 pm 

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. It is good to have a happy ballet orchestra. They are easier to manage when they are happy.

How do the dancers fell about the Opera House, I wonder.

Profile E-mail