public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: National Ballet of Canada - Spring 2009
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 am 

Susan Walker talks to a living piece of ballet history, Clement Crisp.

Quote:
“An engaging speaker, with a voice that trills with displeasure or booms a ‘hurrah’ of approval, Crisp came to Toronto earlier this month to see the National Ballet's mixed program, Innovation, and to take part in pre-show ballet talks.

…Now you have here this man (Zdenek) Konvalina. Ah! I’ve rarely seen such talent. He’s got to be shown off. Guillaume Côté as well. He’s remarkable. And this girl Bridgett Zehr. I was seized by her.”

With the pending retirement of Chan Hon Goh, Bridgett Zehr appears to be a logical choice to be promoted to principal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:27 am 

IF she is healthy enough to dance the roles that would be demanded.

I think there are several others contenders who have been with the company for years and deserve the honour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:56 am 

Very true for the above from Mille. Tanya Howard is one dancer that comes to mind but she was visited by the Stork and I have no idea how that will effect Mrs. K’s thinking. Rebekah Rimsay seems to have settled into the 1st soloist dance whatever they need me to dance role.

We’ll just have to wait and see! They usually make such announcements from now until May.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:51 pm 

The National Ballet of Canada is showing off the National Ballet of Canada at Toronto Pearson International Airport (Malton Airport Gallery, Terminal 1). This is a great idea to create ballet fans, as the airport receives a lot of foot and……waiting traffic. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:06 pm 

I actually saw it today - nice little display. Amazed at how TINY the sugarplum tutu was.

In other news, I saw in the paper the other day that Dirty Dancing will be ending its run soon. At least that is what I understood from the ad. If so, do we think we might see Julie Hay again at NBOC???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:55 pm 

It is possible that Julie Hay may return but why return just to be pretty dressing for a ballet? Her height (5' 10") is a disadvantage to her in ballet-Not so much in modern dance. I think we may see her in Stratford for West Side Story. Would she want to return after getting a taste of stage life outside of the ballet world? I doubt it but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Did you see her in Dirty Dancing? I didn’t but she’s attractive and I’m sure her unique beauty as a redhead will land her another stage gig.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 am 

Did you see the National Post article on Nehemiah Kish? I'm happy for him that he's thriving in Denmark, but it's not sounding too hopeful he'll be back in Toronto for anything other than the odd guest appearance.

Not that this is a surprise to anyone, of course. I do hope to see him again, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:29 am 

Nice opener by Michael Crabb…scared me for a moment!

Quote:
When National Ballet of Canada principal dancer Nehemiah Kish was shot dead in a duel by Nikolaj Hübbe in November, 2003, he could not know that within five years the Danish-born ballet star would be his boss.

The fatal shooting incident was, needless to say, completely staged.

It appears Kish is going….going…GONE! The only way Keira99 will see Nehemiah Kish is if we start up a CD Ballet Transport Foundation!

Quote:
"I live here in Denmark now," Kish says. "Karen Kain and I are still talking about things for next year, but now with the financial crisis that may be more difficult. I'd like to retain the connection, although it's harder to tell how realistic that is. Sometimes you have to make a career decision hoping you're not closing any doors."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 pm 

Michael, please start that foundation immediately! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:12 am 

Sorry folks, but with the CD Moderators Platinum Card scheme running at over $1 million per annum, I don't see the CD Ballet Transport Foundation getting off the ground.

" Waiter, another Napoleon brandy, please - make it a double. Here's my card."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 pm 

LMAO! :lol: I have it on good authority the Brit recession coincided with Stuart Sweeney melting down the CD Moderators Platinum Card at Paul Hamlyn Hall Balconies Restaurant!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:28 pm 

Check out this very detailed review of R&J (3,750 words) with Heather Ogden and Guillaume Côté by the author of Heather Highlights.

Quote:
To ease the tension, Lord Capulet commands everyone to dance again. This is a wonderful scene, with beautifully structured choreography. Cranko was a genius at matching his choreography to the music. Romeo, masked again, re-joins the ball.

Casting has been released for the National’s upcoming performances of R&J at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:15 am 

Princess Aurora will not be dancing into Calgary, Edmonton, Nanaimo, Vancouver and Victoria for the National’s scheduled Western Canada Tour this coming September thanks to Carabosse’s recession! No Sleeping Beauty for you!

The bottomline is they’re lucky to break even-Even with sell outs when you tally up all the travel costs. This is very sad because the National Ballet of Canada is becoming more and more the National Ballet of Toronto. Perhaps the time has come to admit this FACT and drop the Canada :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:39 pm 

How disappointing -- I had planned to try to attend in Vancouver this year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:20 pm 

I’m surprised the National didn’t open up ticket sales early with a disclaimer they wouldn’t stage the tour unless a certain % of tickets were sold by a certain date with a promise not to charge credit cards until they determine whether the tour is a go. Of course, this isn’t the best of public relations but at least it is better than cancelling the tour.

If memory serves me correct the NBoC usually reports high sales when they tour out West but perhaps they inflated the numbers? Obviously, they had serious concerns of losing $ and thus decided to cancel even at the risk of not fulfilling their mandate and tarnishing their image a tad.

Profile E-mail