public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 9th Mariinsky International Festival, 14-22 March 2009
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:05 pm 

According to Mariinka.org, here is the preliminary schedule for the 9th Annual International Mariinsky Festival. This is as of 10 December 2008 and is definitely subject to change:

14 March 2009 -- The Little Humpbacked Horse (premiere of a new production with music by Rodion Shchedrin and choreography by Alexei Ratmansky)

15 March 2009 -- The Little Humpbacked Horse

16 March 2009 -- to be determined

17 March 2009 -- Don Quixote, with Ashley Bouder (New York City Ballet) and Leonid Sarafanov (Mariinsky Ballet) as lead soloists

18 March 2009 -- Swan Lake, with David Halberg (American Ballet Theatre) and Viktoria Tereshkina (Mariinsky Ballet) as lead soloists

19 March 2009 -- Sleeping Beauty, with Mathieu Gagno (Paris Opera Ballet) and Olesya Novikova (Mariinsky Ballet) as lead soloists

20 March 2009 -- Ulyana Lopatkina gala

21 March 2009 -- Don Quixote, with Marcelo Gomes (American Ballet Theatre) and Diana Vishneva (Mariinsky Ballet) as lead soloists

22 March 2009 -- All Stars Ballet Gala

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:39 am 

Thanks, Sacto. I see that this has now made the rounds. I sure hope that it 'sticks.' I am still hoping that the Laurencia Grand Pas, which is being performed tonight in Baden-Baden, will somehow make an appearance at the festival. I am also hoping that the Lopatkina Gala will include Symphony in C.

I am VERY happy to see that we will get a variety of ballets this year, rather than six consecutive performances of one work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:01 am 

NataliaN wrote:
Thanks, Sacto. I see that this has now made the rounds. I sure hope that it 'sticks.' I am still hoping that the Laurencia Grand Pas, which is being performed tonight in Baden-Baden, will somehow make an appearance at the festival. I am also hoping that the Lopatkina Gala will include Symphony in C.

I do think that the Lopatkina gala may include her performance in Symphony in C. I also might want to see her perform selections from Raymonda and/or Paquita "Grand Pas Classique" also, something I don't think she's done in some time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:21 am 

Right, sacto. Lopatkina danced the Paquita Grand Pas + Raymonda A3 in the recent New York-City Center tour and perhaps elsewhere abroad but she hasn't danced it at home in a while.

I would not be surprised if we see Lopatkina as the Lilac Fairy, as the version of Beauty that's being shown in St. Petersburg this season is the 1952 Soviet version by K. Sergeyev. It's a lovely version on its own, although I will definitely miss the glorious 1890 version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:17 pm 

NataliaN wrote:
I would not be surprised if we see Lopatkina as the Lilac Fairy, as the version of Beauty that's being shown in St. Petersburg this season is the 1952 Soviet version by K. Sergeyev. It's a lovely version on its own, although I will definitely miss the glorious 1890 version.

Glorious as the 1890 revival was, it's also very expensive to do and I don't think MT will show this for a while. However, I personally a big change in the recent performances of the Sergeyev version--I note they went from the all-pink costume for Aurora (this is based on the 1980's performances) to a blue, gold and white one recently. If Lopatkina plays the Lilac Fairy in the Festival performance tickets for that show will be gone in no time flat. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:44 am 

The programing for the Festival is now at the Mariinsky site for the first six nights. No casting listed.

There is nothing indicating that tickets are for sale yet at the site.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 09&month=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:46 pm 

Thanks, Buddy. Actually, it skips over some dates and even assigns two ballets for the same night, in a couple of instances. (That's a new one - simultaneous performances on the same stage!)

Balletandopera.com site told me that Vishneva's 'Beauty in Motion' program will be the 3rd night (after the 2 Humpbacked Horses). Then again, Vishneva's own website -- usually spot-on accurate -- makes no mention of her performing at ANY Mariinsky Festival show. So I am miffed.

Regardless, I'll be there, like you, come rain or shine or snow. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:34 pm 

I had seen somewhere the Vishneva 'Beauty on Motion' listed on the 16th of March (Mon). Now the Mariinsky website goes from the 15th (2nd Humpbacked...) to the 17th.

What's bad in that is that the Mikhailovsky Theatre is dark on Mon.
It would have been a great chance to see their Corsaire!

Maybe miss the 15th at the Mariinsky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:51 pm 

Hi, Natalia and jpc.

I believe that the Matvienkos appear at the the Mikhailovsky from time to time. It would be great to be able to see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:49 pm 

The Matvienkos WILL BE performing CORSAIRE at the Maly-Moussorgsky Theater during the time of the festival. I already booked my tix for a CORSAIRE at the M-M on the 13th, the day before the start of the Festival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:35 pm 

Do you know what days they are performing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:29 pm 

I don't, Buddy, but I would almost guess that the very first performance of the run -- whatever day that may be -- will be with the Matvienki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm 

Thanks, Natalia. All dates are now correctly posted and tickets are now on sale at the Mariinsky site.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 09&month=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am 

Thanks, Buddy. I am all-set with Festival tix.

I wonder if there might be a performance on the 16th...be it Vishneva or anything else? If not, then we'll have another good opportunity to visit the Maly or Hermitage Theater or Conservatory or Alexandrinsky or one of the many other great dance venues in town!

p.s. On the night of GISELLE, the jewel-box theater in the Hermitage Museum will be presenting SLEEPING BEAUTY. I am waiting on the casting of the GISELLE before deciding on whether or not ot go to BEAUTY instead. The thought of seeing BEAUTY in the former Imperial Winter Palace that was built to Catherine the Great's specifications is tempting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 pm 

Except that that stage is so tiny... how can they possibly do Beauty there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next