public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New York City Ballet - Nutcracker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:04 pm 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/arts/ ... .html?8dpc

A fun article about the kids in the NYCB Nutracker, but unfortunately tagged with an completely inaccurate title. None of the mice in Balanchine's version are in pointe shoes - the big mice are men, the little mice are kids too young to be en pointe.

I also sigh when an otherwise knowledgable critic uses the term toeshoes - I know the term is used in some countries, but it's not generally considered to be correct and people will never use the correct term if critics can't be bothered.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews the November 28, 2008 opening performance in the New York Times:

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm 

In Week 3, the debuts begin, the most significant being Allen Peiffer as the Cavalier and Eric Peirera as the Sugarplum Fairy.

New York City Ballet Principal Casting December 9 - 14, 2008

Tue. Eve. Dec. 9, 2008 at 6 PM [Karoui]

George Balanchine's The NutcrackerTM

Sugarplum Fairy: Kowroski Tea: Carmena
Cavalier: Askegard Marzipan: T. Peck
Dewdrop: Hyltin Coffee: Abergel
Hot Chocolate: Lowery, Ramasar Candy Cane: Ulbricht

Herr Drosselmeier: La Fosse+
Wed. Mat. Dec. 10, 2008 at 2 PM [Karoui]

Sugarplum Fairy: Bouder Tea: Laurent
Cavalier: Veyette Marzipan: Dronova
Dewdrop: M. Fairchild Coffee: Bar
Hot Chocolate: Pazcoguin, T. Angle Candy Cane: Hendrickson

Herr Drosselmeier: Froman

Wed. Eve. Dec. 10, 2008 at 6 PM [Karoui]

Sugarplum Fairy: Whelan Tea: Schumacher
Cavalier: Neal Marzipan: Morgan
Dewdrop: T. Peck Coffee: Reichlen
Hot Chocolate: Hankes, Fowler Candy Cane: Severini

Herr Drosselmeier: Kramarevsky+

Thur. Eve. Dec. 11, 2008 at 6 PM [Karoui]

Sugarplum Fairy: M. Fairchild Tea: Ulbricht
Cavalier: De Luz Marzipan: Laracey
Dewdrop: Mearns Coffee: Arthurs
Hot Chocolate: Collins, R. Fairchild Candy Cane: Suozzi

Herr Drosselmeier: Hendrickson

Fri. Eve., Dec. 12, 2008 at 8 PM [Karoui]
Sugarplum Fairy: Taylor Tea: Paradiso
Cavalier: Millepied Marzipan: Zungre
Dewdrop: Reichlen Coffee: Lowery
Hot Chocolate: Muller, la Cour Candy Cane: Ulbricht

Sat. Mat., Dec 13, 2008 at 2 PM [Otranto]
Sugarplum Fairy: *Pereira Tea: Renko
Cavalier: *Peiffer Marzipan: King
Dewdrop: *Morgan Coffee: *Gilliland
Hot Chocolate: *Sell, *Alberda Candy Cane: Villalobos

Herr Drosselmeier: Kramarevsky+

Sat. Eve., Dec 13, 2008 at 8 PM [Kaplow]
Sugarplum Fairy: Borree Tea: Carmena
Cavalier: Marcovici Marzipan: Dronova
Dewdrop: Bouder Coffee: Pazcoguin
Hot Chocolate: Golbin, Tworzyanski Candy Cane: Hendrickson

Sun. Mat., Dec 14, 2008 at 1 PM [Kaplow]

Sugarplum Fairy: Hyltin Tea: Villalobos
Cavalier: Garcia Marzipan: Pereira
Dewdrop: Lowery Coffee: Ostrom
Hot Chocolate: Muller, la Cour Candy Cane: Suozzi

Herr Drosselmeier: Froman

Sun. Eve., Dec. 14, 2008 at 5 PM [Otranto]
Sugarplum Fairy: Bouder Tea: Schumacher
Cavalier: Millepied Marzipan: Laracey
Dewdrop: Reichlen Coffee: Muller
Hot Chocolate: Beskow, Danchig-Waring Candy Cane: Peiffer

Herr Drosselmeier: Hendrickson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:06 pm 

Claudia LaRocco reviews the performance in the New York Times:

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:59 am 

Hilary Osterle reviews the performance in the Financial Times:

Financial Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm 

Roslyn Sulcas focuses on casts comprised of younger dancers in principal roles in her review for the New York Times:

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 pm 

In the New York Times, Roslyn Sulcas reviews the Friday, November 27, 2009 performance of George Balanchine's "The Nutcracker."

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:36 pm 

Terry Trucco asks some NYCB dancers about their favorite roles in The Nutcracker in Playbill:

Playbill

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New York City Ballet - Nutcracker
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 pm 

Robert Greskovic reviews the November 27, 2009 cast of "The Nutcracker" in the Wall Street Journal.

Wall Street Journal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews the performances of some of the newly promoted principals and soloists during the run of "Nutcracker" in the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:06 am 

:roll: I am amazed when i read some of Mr Macaulay's articles. I was at a few of the nutcrackers this season and i know for a fact i was at a show he was at and have to ask myself what did i miss. Mr Macaulay seems to have a problem with certain dancers who clearly are very talented and dedicated to there art. I know how hard these young people work having been around dance for some 25 years now. Mr Macaulay seems to be a very mean spirited person who loves to tear certain dancers down. At the same time praising other's who have not danced one step this winter season yet. I would love to ask Mr Macaulay (Sir where exactly did you get your ballet training and which major ballet company did you dance for?) I suspect the answer would be a BIG 0.0 :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 am 

Whilst I'm no fan of Mr. Macaulay's, I thought this was an interesting and reasonably balanced review.

The Nutcracker PdD is a challenge for dancers, particularly the younger/newer cavaliers - the male solos are not the inspired bit, and if you can't do the bravura stuff, it doesn't look good. I've adore Tyler Angle's dancing since seeing him in the SAB workshop, but his strength has always been in partnering, not in the fancy solo stuff. Robbie Fairchild too, is a massive talent, but is more in the showman style - he's made no bones about wanting to do Broadway. And it's not being unfair to point out that people have different strengths, and that they have areas in which they still need to grow. Both have long careers in front of them, so constructive criticism is a great thing to get - because if they stop developing now, talent has been squandered.

Same thing for the women - Macaulay is hardly bashing anyone in particular. He finds good things to say about each Sugar Plum, and points out where they need to grown. That's what a good critic does - and what a good dancer learns from (as well as knowing what critiques are worth paying attention to and which you just ignore...). I would agree with his worry about Peirera, in that she has time to develop as an artist, but the recent history of female dancers at NYCB doesn't favor that growth happening. Peter Martins, unfortunately, has been known for promoting very young talent, but not continuing to develop it once he loses interest. Criticism of Martins failure to develop his dancers into artists is hardly new - the same thing has been posited about Maria Kowroski, Janie Taylor, Alexandra Ansanelli etc etc. All have had great careers, but many wonder how much greater artists they could have been with better nurturing and more attention after they were no longer 'flavour of the month'. And, I think there is similar neglect among the men - lots of raw talent, but in the past 20-25 years, those who have come front and center usually got their push from someone other than Martins - many dancers will talk about teachers like Andre Kramarevsky, Jock Soto or Stanley Williams, or choreographers like Jerome Robbins.

I think Martins would be well advised to spend less time on his mediocre (at best) choreography and more time on long term development of talent. Personally, I think companies generally are more successful where the AD does not have choreographic ambitions, and thus focuses on the repertoire, the dancers and seeking out guest choreographers. Companies like Stuttgart, Hamburg and Bejart are the exceptions, but to me, at times at NYCB, ABT, Houston, Scottish Ballet, NBoC etc., the ADs have sometimes let their choreography get in the way of the best interests of the company.

And, I should add that very few professional critics have professional dance backgrounds, nor should it ever be a requirement. No press rep, dancer, director or other reviewer has ever looked down at me because I've never danced professionally. Respect is built by putting out balanced, well written reviews, being a regular ballet viewer (even if you don't review every performance or like every ballet) and continuing to educate oneself about all aspects of ballet.

It's important to remember that the vast majority of people who come to watch ballet have never even taken a a ballet class, let alone danced professionally, and reviews need to be aimed at them. Reviewers certainly should "know their stuff", but a review that focuses heavily on the technical bits or what stands out to a dancer is not so likely to interest the average audience member . Frankly, sometimes a very untrained eye can be the best judge of a ballet - and come up with the most pertinent observations - because they have very few biases and look at the whole picture. Sometimes the biggest problem with having a former professional as a reviewer is that their years in the business have ingrained in them certain biases - something which also happens with critics who've been around too long as well. It can also be a huge challenge to review dancers you once danced with or knew as a fellow professional.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:08 am 

[quote="ksneds"]Whilst I'm no fan of Mr. Macaulay's, I thought this was an interesting and reasonably balanced review.

Same thing for the women - Macaulay is hardly bashing anyone in particular. He finds good things to say about each Sugar Plum, and points out where they need to grown. That's what a good critic does - and what a good dancer learns from (as well as knowing what critiques are worth paying attention to and which you just ignore...). I would agree with his worry about Peirera, in that she has time to develop as an artist, but the recent history of female dancers at NYCB doesn't favor that growth happening. Peter Martins, unfortunately, has been known for promoting very young talent, but not continuing to develop it once he loses interest. Criticism of Martins failure to develop his dancers into artists is hardly new - the same thing has been posited about Maria Kowroski, Janie Taylor, Alexandra Ansanelli etc etc. All have had great careers, but many wonder how much greater artists they could have been with better nurturing and more attention after they were no longer 'flavour of the month'. And, I think there is similar neglect among the men - lots of raw talent, but in the past 20-25 years, those who have come front and center usually got their push from someone other than Martins - many dancers will talk about teachers like Andre Kramarevsky, Jock Soto or Stanley Williams, or choreographers like Jerome Robbins.

I would strongly have to disagree with your comments about Mr Martins not continuing to develop the of flavor of the month. Here are a few names that are having terrific success and i really do not think Mr Martins forgot to develop these people

Megan Fairchild , Robert Fairchild , Daniel Ulbricht , Sara Mearns Tiler Peck ,Ashley Bouder Abi Stafford

I am sure i could go on and on, these wonderful dancers i am sure were nurtured by Mr Martins and i really do not think he lost interest. I have followed Mr Macaulay's reviews for many years he has his favorites and he has the ones he dislikes. Mr Macaulay seems to enjoy picking on certain dancers and swooning over others. This is a pattern which i find irritating and down right mean spirited.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 pm 

Marina Harss reviews the opening night performance of the 2010 "Nutcracker" season in The Faster Times.

Faster Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:27 pm 

Alastair Macaulay's review of New York City Ballet's 2010 "Nutcracker" is located in the thread devoted to his "Nutcracker" Marathon.

Alastair Macaulay's 2010 "Nutcracker" Marathon

Profile E-mail