public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Veronika Part--A Quick Reverie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:04 pm 

I think back on some of the performances that I have seen in four years of ballet watching and several stand out as being spectacular. The first was Diana Vishneva's "Cinderella" (Washington DC 2005). The second was Uliana Lopatkina's "Swan Lake" (Saint Petersburg 2006). Another was Daria Pavlenko's "Giselle" (Washington DC 2006). After that it becomes less easy to single out special performances as there were so many. If I had to chose one more it would be Veronika Part's "Sleeping Beauty" (NYC 2007).

I guess that I like the lyrical, ethereal, graceful element of dance and tend to gravitate towards dancers like Svetlana Zakharova, Svetlana Lunkina and Ekaterina Krysanova. (Interestingly I consider them to be Kirov style dancers who are actually at the Bolshoi). I would add Veronika Part to this list.

I first noticed her name among a list of Kirov dancers, except she was no longer at the Kirov. She was at the American Ballet Theater in New York City.

I finally got to see her in NYC last summer, where she performed Myrtha in "Giselle". Her dancing seemed fine, but it was her stage presence that captivated me. I could not take my eyes off of her even when she was standing in the corner.

A year passed and I knew that I really wanted to see her perform again. When I did get to see her again in New York this summer it was her wonderful dancing that I loved. First she danced in "Symphonie Concertante". Her facial expression seemed to be concentrated somewhere in the music. It seemed that she was trying to reach beyond the apparent into the essence.

The dancing itself was the most dreamlike and responsive that I could imagine.

During the same visit I saw her perform "Sleeping Beauty" twice. It was possibly the most beautiful dancing that I've ever seen.

In addition to the character--is that amazing dancing--that dreamlike lyrical flow--that makes her so very special.

In my mind this summer she is as much a 'Part' of New York City as are the skyscrapers of midtown Manhattan or the beautiful expanses of Central Park.

["During the same visit...." paragraph rewritten and "Symphonie Concertante" (corrected above) was incorrectly called "The Dream"]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:34 pm 

I have to tax my memory somewhat on this one, but it's a beautiful holiday afternoon, so I'll go for it.

Veronika Part's second performance of Sleeping Beauty at the Met (NYC) was on June 4, 2007. As I posted at the time it was an evening of exceptional performances by everyone. I had seen extraordinary Swan Lakes danced by Gillian Murphy, Paloma Herrera and Michele Wiles earlier in the year in Detroit and I learned what amazing dancers they are, but this week in NYC for me belonged to Veronika Part. I saw her three times.

So back to June 4, 2007. I have Veronika notes scribbled all over my program.

"Almost flawless--absolutely beautiful!--one pose, feet so beautifully placed--other lovely poses--very relaxed--final point balances sustained especially one in Act II--pique hops seemed barely to touch the ground--animal grace--like a statue of a Greek goddess--poses--created her own gravity--poetic--airiness--fish dives--legs straight up--full house--standing ovation--ahead of expectation, recovery--spins (in attitude, etc.)----soft, musical, slow motion moves, highlights."

Details on this next one not so clear, but here we go.

The evening is absolutely charged. It is probably somewhere into the Act II Dream-Vision scene. Memories of Gelsey Kirkland as Carabosse just before the intermission are still very strong. She had ignited the theater with her fiery portrayal. (I don't think that she had done her aerial suspension performance yet. The use of suspension wire aerial dancing had caused a lot of mixed reaction. I really enjoyed it.)

Now Act II has begun and a new bit of choreography has Marcelo Gomes, the Prince, and his male friends sailing through the air for about five minutes to some of Tchaikovsky's most beautiful music. Then the Lilac Fairy arrives with her ten (plus or minus) female Attendants. As performed by the Kirov corps de ballet on several of my videos this is some of the finest chorus dancing that I have ever seen. Between a wonderfully performed Lilac Fairy and equally well performed chorus dancing, along with memories of Gelsey Kirkland and Marcelo Gomes the stage is red hot with emotional energy.

So who comes on next in the middle of this high emotional surge ? ---- Veronika Part.

Almost forgotten in the middle of this whirlwind arrives Veronika Part looking like a baby lamb in the middle of a hurricane. With the force of a feather she starts dancing. How is she going to do it ?

Don't ask me how--she just does !

She just gently glides across the stage and then gently does this and then gently does that. Within moments the stage and the evening are again completely under her spell.

And now I am going to the internet to search out James Wolcott, 'Kindred Spirit Veronika Lover', and see if there are any signs of where to go next.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/blog ... reaso.html

To all Veronika Lovers in the World -- " Keep the Lovelight glowing ! "

[spelling corrections made]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 am 

As mentioned by Francis,

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewt ... 4&start=30

Veronika Part appeared as Odette-Odile ( Swan Lake) with the Tchaikovsky Perm Ballet in Amsterdam this week and Clement Crisp once again gave her a very fine review.

About her Odette he wrote,

"And everything was right. And more than right. What followed was a display of Kirov stye at its most noble as a discipline to shape a magnificent interpretation, both physical and emotional."

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewt ... 4&start=30
(scroll down for link)

Veronika Part is scheduled to perform Odette-Odile May 31 and Nikia (La Bayadere) June 23, and 28 with the ABT in New York City.

[added later--link clarified]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:08 am 

Having just seen Veronika Part several weeks ago performing Odette-Odile in "Swan Lake" and with the scheduled arrival of two performances of "La Bayadere" I would like to express a few more thoughts about this extremely beautiful performing artist.

The musical beauty of her moves is perhaps the quality that I have noticed the most. When I saw her perform the lead in "Sleeping Beauty" last year, I wrote that it was one of the best performances that I had ever seen and----"Possibly The Most Beautiful!" It is a Beauty that seems Inherent. How it will reflect itself can differ from one performance to another. The Essence Of Beauty is always there. When she moves every part of her can have that extra touch of expression. As has been said of some other dancers, the motions of her limbs can "sing". There is a wonderful musical poetry to her dancing.

I am always looking around to see where her emphasis will be. Sometimes I have found it in her flow and timing. Other times it is in the 'articulation' of a particular move, that added touch of motion or inflection; a detail.

Another facet that interests me is Her Portrayal and Her Presence. I saw her perform Myrtha in "Giselle" and her 'characterization' was Captivating. I have seen her stand still at the side of the stage and her presence still dominates. Sometimes it seems that her focus is on her dancing. Other times I have watched her seemingly try to reach beyond a character into some overriding essence.

Sometimes her performance may be dominated by a compelling presence or a totality of delivery. Another time it may be be simply an occasional motion of her hands.

Details, details can sometimes be the key.

I think that she is a performer who is so beautiful in the essence of what she does that even the delivery of a handful of special details can make seeing her a wonderful experience. Whatever I have seen her do has had something in it that is so special and so beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 pm 

Not wishing to ever lose track of this remarkably beautiful dancer, here is her remaining Autumn ABT (New York City Center) schedule.

This Thursday evening (Oct. 30) Jardin aux Lilas

This Saturday evening (Nov. 1) Pillar of Fire

This Sunday afternoon (Nov. 2) Jardin aux Lillas

http://www.abt.org/performances/calendar_index1.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:43 pm 

Thanks to Francis for finding this one.

Robert Johnson's review in the New Jersey Star-Ledger discusses the company premiere of Jirí Kylián's "Overgrown Path".

"....Part, a ballerina of such naturalness and dramatic force that the bonds simply fall away."

http://www.nj.com/theatredance/ledger/i ... xml&coll=1

I missed noting her performance because ABT only says "Company" for casting.

[correction made: the performance "Overgrown Path" is "a company premiere" and not a "debut"]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm 

If you are really planning ahead here are two good ones at ABT.

"Giselle"

Natalia Osipova, Ethan Stiefel, Veronika Part (Myrtha) June 13

(This one could be a firecracker!)

"Swan Lake"

Veronika Part, Roberto Bolle June 26

There is some more but these seem to be her highlights for the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:12 am 

She will be Odette-Odile ("Swan Lake") with Marcelo Gomes, February 20 in Washington DC.

Myrtha in "Giselle", February 28, Ottawa.

ABT will be doing 9 performances of "Swan Lake" in London (no casting yet listed) March 25-31. I would guess that she will be there.

Clement Crisp loves her. He wrote....

"On Sunday [January 2008, guesting with Perm Ballet, Amsterdam] afternoon (lightning strikes at a matinee!) Part took the stage in that simple leap, then assumed the Swan Queen's initial pose. And everything was right. And more than right. What followed was a display of Kirov style at its most noble as a discipline to shape a magnificent interpretation, both physical and emotional."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c6350570-be9c ... ck_check=1

I would consider swimming the Channel to see her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:52 am 

From NataliaN at CriticalDance's "Kirov Ballet 2008-2009 Season" discussion comes these thoughts.

"I agree. Part was extraordinary in her recent Odette-Odile at the Kennedy Center, opposite Gomes. Those two simply scorched the stage with their passion and poetry....Veronika Part gave, to me, the most perfect performance of Odette-Odile that I've witnessed in 40-plus years of serious ballet-viewing."

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewt ... &start=105

There seems to be Unanimous internet agreement, forums and press, that her Odette-Odile ("Swan Lake") at Washington DC last week was something Very, Very Special !

Onwards to London--Odette-Odile, March 27 and March 30.

[Posted with all due respect to ncgnet's previous post mentioning the passing away of Marina Svetlova]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:17 pm 

"Veronika" -- Principal !!!!

What Great News !

Thanks so much Francis and Natalia !

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32687

You did it James !

James Wolcott -- April 14, 2009

"Answered Prayers"

"How I have pined for this day of ascension. How I have longed and dreamt and plotted and lobbied for this to come to pass....the autographed photos I've distributed to all the dry cleaners on the Upper West "

"The lean years of desire and want are now mere smoky memories, for the moment of exaltation has arrived:"

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcot ... d-for.html

James Wolcott -- July 6, 2005

"Finally, a Reason to Go on Living; Veronika Part"

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcot ... ntPage=all

Let's give 'Veronika' some of the credit too !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:17 am 

A couple of weeks ago I saw Veronika Part do a performance of "Swan Lake" that for me she carried to A New Level. I wrote about it here at CriticalDance.

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewt ... 2&start=30

Several days ago I found an article about her that has been around for awhile by Laura Jacobs. She had seen Veronika Part's first "Swan Lake", which I hadn't, and already had strong feelings about 'Veronika's' ability, not just to dance with amazing beauty, but to be able to move 'beyond'.

If you have a lifetime, you may want to give this article a try. I would start at about the middle with the discussion of 'Veronika' herself. So far I am fascinated.

Whoever manages her site (her fiance?) was able to put all the article here.

Click on "Laura Jacobs" below picture.

http://www.officialveronikapart.com/

This is a typical quote with reasons and descriptions (and opinions) to be found throughout the rest of the text.

"Part is bucking every trend in ballet. She uses her strength to touch the precarious, to go where others can’t or won’t. And she shows us everything, making herself vulnerable...." (Laura Jacobs).

[some minor word changes made for clarification]

Post subject: Re: Veronika Part--A Quick Reverie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 am 

Some Scheduled "Veronika" Sightings for 2010

A "Swan Lake" in April (Chicago)

Two "La Bayadere"s in May (NYC)

Another "Swan Lake" and a "Sleeping Beauty" in June (NYC)

And lots of other stuff.

Does this mean that I have to move to New York ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm 

Some scheduled Veronika Sightings (with ABT) for 2011.

Jardin aux Lilas, Jan. 19 Washington DC

Jardin aux Lilas, Feb. 5,6 London

Sugar Plum Fairy Duet, Feb. 5 (with Marcelo Gomes, bravo!) London

(I purposely timed my return to Europe to be able to see these)

Myrtha in Giselle, several times in May NYC
(I'd love to see her as Giselle but Alina Cojocaru will do wonderfully for the time being. Diana V will also be there shining.)

The Bright Stream June 11, 15 NYC
(Maria Alexandrova (Bolshoi), who I was not fortunate enough to see in this and Veronika are two ballerinas who could make this one really work for me.)

Swan Lake July 1 NYC

Sleeping Beauty July 5 NYC

(Having missed two Veronika Swan Lakes last year, I would really climb a mountain to be able to make these two NYC performances. I'll hope for the best.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 am 

As posted at at least two other forums and confirmed by the Mariinsky Theatre,

"Veronika"

will be performing

"Swan Lake"

at the Mariinsky February 19.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/pla ... 19/1_1900/

Needless to say I'm Ecstatic !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:55 am 

" Veronika! " will be doing two La Bayaderes in DC, opening Feb. 2 and Saturday night Feb. 4.* I finally took a gamble about a week ago and bought tickets while there were still seats available for both these nights. The cast was announced yesterday(?) and hopefully come February-- Jackpot !

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=2/1/2012

I've been following this site almost everyday but Natalia (elsewhere) got there first. Thanks for the great news, Natalia !

Having tried to see " Veronika! " for over a year with no success (even had to abort a trip to see her return to Saint Petersburg, because I couldn't get a visa in time...."Tears Fell Like Rain") this is indeed welcome news.

" Sail On My Sweet Angel ! "

(sung by Jimi Hendrix)

* added comment: With Marcelo !