public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:59 am 

I don't think so. The Choreographic School in the Name of Leonid Mikhailovich Lavrovsky is mentioned here

http://gmstar.ru/cncat/dir/ext/93014/

and here

http://forum.balletfriends.ru/viewtopic ... 456fe6b9d2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:56 am 

Nice to see you, vrsfan! It's been a while!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:56 pm 

Thank you for the link. :) Yes, named for Leonid. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Keep the great reviews of Mariinsky coming. They are very much appreciated.

LMCTech, thank you for the warm welcome. I do read almost daily, hum maybe that is lurking! :wink: I enjoy the site very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:39 pm 

Catherine,

Do you who is Kondaurova's current coach? It appears she's got a really good one coahing her given Kondaurova's success lately. :)

(Say, wasn't the legendary Maya Plisetskaya a redhead when she first became famous in the late 1940's?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:00 am 

Olga Tchenchikova is Kondaurova's coach -- same as for Somova.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:41 am 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Olga Tchenchikova is Kondaurova's coach -- same as for Somova.

Then how come Kondaurova comes out so differently when it comes to public perception compared to Somova? It appears that all the serious balletomanes are lining up supporting Kondaurova--maybe it's all those Plisetskaya flashbacks along with the fact Kondaurova dances appropriately for the "Kirov" style as defined by Vaganova and Sergeyev. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:58 pm 

Post by Buddy removed by Buddy. Although meant as a well-intentioned compliment to both Ekaterina Kondaurova and Catherine, it might not be appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:59 pm 

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
Red hair and all :-). She was stunning. Quite frankly I believe the red hair is a perfect contrast to the snow white tutus. She was absolutely gorgeous.

I just saw pictures of Kondaurova's debut as Odette/Odile and she was ESPECIALLY striking as Odile. :shock: :D However, the next time she dances the role of Odette they need to carefully redo her hair because the parting of the hair in front kind of detracted from what could have been a perfect look. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:49 am 

By the way, here are pictures of Ekaterina Kondaurova from her first leading performance in Swan Lake:

As Odette (during the curtain calls after the ballet ends)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/299 ... d061_o.jpg

As Odile (with Danila Korsuntsev in background)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/299 ... 72ab_o.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:01 am 

Quote:
Then how come Kondaurova comes out so differently when it comes to public perception compared to Somova?

I truly believe (and have said this before) that it comes down to the individual dancer's level of intelligence, absorption of classical technique, and ability to restrain themselves to a tasteful level of artistry. Not every person can do this. It has nothing to do with physical capabilities, but with the artist INSIDE the dancer. It goes without saying that Somova has great gymnastic capabilities. Is that what ballet is about?

Quote:
It appears that all the serious balletomanes are lining up supporting Kondaurova--maybe it's all those Plisetskaya flashbacks along with the fact Kondaurova dances appropriately for the "Kirov" style as defined by Vaganova and Sergeyev.

That is one reason. I think and hope that the mass audience of knowledgeable balletomanes can also differentiate between kitschy flexnastics that affect a "wow" factor in the audience, but do nothing in terms of leaving a long lasting, deep impression on an artistic level, and those who approach their dancing from an inbred understanding of line, technique, character and true artistry.

BTW, great snapshots Sacto. I had not brought a camera as typically the lighting is very poor even at curtain calls... but i wish i had!

Last edited by Catherine Pawlick on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:16 am 

P.s. I wouldn't deem Kondaurova's dancing *style* similar to Plisetskaya's at all -- Katya is more schooled and academic, whereas Maya tends to take a more intuitive approach to her roles. Both, however, are passionate, beautiful redheads :-).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:52 pm 

Catherine, I co-sign both your posts :D! Since Tchyentchikova is also Kondaurova's coach, this confirms for me what I've always suspected: Somova's "condition" isn't Olga's fault.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Sacto for attaching Katya's absolutely beautiful pics! Now this is a Swan Queen: Kondaurova's mere presence dominates the stage! (BTW I was lucky enough to see Katya's excellent and very charismatic Street Dancer in "Don Q," before she went off to the Sadlers Wells engagement :wink:).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:32 pm 

A couple of comments:

1) I believe those pictures I referenced--which are of very high quality--were done by someone with an expensive digital SLR camera (no "point and shoot" digital camera could get those sharp pictures!). This makes me wonder if they were done by an official Mariinsky Theatre photographer. Don't you just love how Kondaurova looks as Odile? 8)

2) There must be a thing from Russian balletomanes about redheads--I believe a number of other famous Russian ballerinas were also redheads historically. :) Plisetskaya has more an "intuitive" approach to dancing because she probably learned from watching another legendary Russian ballerina, Galina Ulanova (I've read Ulanova is considered by many the greatest Russian ballerina of the 20th Century with true acting ability--I've seen Ulanova perform Giselle and nobody comes close in the way she balanced dancing skill and acting skill in that famous ballet).

3) I might have to put up a pool on when will people start comparing Kondaurova with Lopatkina in terms of performance as Odette/Odile.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:44 am 

News: The Mariinsky Ballet will tour to Baku on November 20-24th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 pm 

Courtesy of "Dansomanie" comes word that Makhar Vaziev, former Mariinsky ballet director, will take charge of the Ballet de la Scala de Milan starting January 2009, succeeding Elisabetta Terabust.

I was just watching my Svetlana Zakharova, Roberto Bolle "Swan Lake" video last night and I do like this company for what seems to be its real heart and soul effort to do the very best that it possibly can. With Makhar Vaziev there big things might happen. I wish them all the best!

http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/v ... cb45279107

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next