public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 08-09: Giselle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 pm 

A new "Giselle" for a new season and new artistic director...

We all know men can drive women insane. And that was common knowledge on the ballet scene as far back as 1841 when one of the greatest romantic ballets in history premiered in Paris. Nikolaj Hübbe and Sorella Englund head the new production of Giselle, which is a classical principal work famed for its ethereal moonlit dancing and great dramatic roles.
The innocent peasant girl Giselle surrenders with body and soul to the romantic advances of the nobleman Albrecht. But alas, she has fallen in love with a man who is already betrothed. When she realises Albrecht’s treachery she loses first her mind, and then her life.

Choreography: Nikolaj Hübbe and Sorella Englund after Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot
Music: Adolphe Adam
Set design: Desmond Heeley
Light design: Jørn Melin
Conductor: Peter Ernst Lassen

The Royal Danish Orchestra

Dates:
September 13, 14, 19, 26, 29
October 1, 7, 13, 15, 18, 18, 22, 25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:44 pm 

Nehemiah Kish makes his full-length ballet debut with the company and Ulrik Birkkjær gets his first full-length leading role. Additionally, Copenhagen audiences get the treat of seeing Morten Eggert as both Hilarion and the Prince.

Premiere -- Saturday, 13. september 2008 8pm

Giselle: Silja Schandorff
Albrecht: Nehemiah Kish
Wilfred: Alexander Stæger
Bathilde: Rose Gad
Mother: Eva Kloborg
Hilarion: Fernando Mora
The prince: Erling Eliasson
Peasant Pas de Deux: Yao Wei and Ulrik Birkkjær
Old Pair: Lis Jeppesen and Poul-Erik Hesselkilde
Martha: Amy Watson
1. Willi: Kizzy Howard
2. Willi: Femke Mølbach Slot

Sunday, 14. September 2008 3pm

Giselle: Gudrun Bojesen
Albrecht: Mads Blangstrup
Wilfred: Sebastian Kloborg
Bathilde: Maria Bernholdt
Mother: Lis Jeppesen
Hilarion: Morten Eggert
The Prince: Mogens Boesen
Peasant Pas de Deux: Diana Cuni and Tim Matiakis
Old Pair: Jette Buchwald and Flemming Ryberg
Martha: Tina Højlund
1. Wili: Susanne Grinder
2. Wili: Christian Michanek

Friday, 19. September 2008 8pm

Giselle: Yao Wei
Albrecht: Ulrik Birkkjær
Wilfred: Sebastian Kloborg
Bathilde: Giorgia Minnella
Mother: Jette Buchwald
Hilarion: Nicolai Hansen
The Prince: Morten Eggert
Peasant Pas de Deux: Julie Valentin and Alexander Stæger
Old Pair: Lis Jeppesen and Poul-Erik Hesselkilde
Martha: Kizzy Howard
1. Wili: Cecilie Lassen
2. Wili: J'aime Crandall

Last edited by ksneds on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:45 pm 

Giselle
01.09.2008|Pressemeddelelse
Af Nikolaj Hübbe og Sorella Englund

Nikolaj Hübbes hyldest til Den Kongelige Ballets kvinder
Han har stået på verdens største scener over hele verden, instrueret, undervist og koreograferet i både Danmark og i udlandet. Men alligevel har den nyudnævnte balletmester Nikolaj Hübbe lidt ekstra sommerfugle i maven, når tæppet den 13. september går til Den Kongelige Ballets første premiere denne sæson. For nu tæller det, og ansvaret ligger for alvor på hans skuldre. Ikke alene har han iscenesat Giselle – sammen med Sorella Englund – men det er også nu, hans ideer med Den Kongelige Ballet begynder at tage form og kan vejes.
Den Kongelige Ballets dansere skal være til stede i nuet og brænde langt ud over scenekanten. Det er i nuet, at dansernes kroppe bliver til poesi, og den levende kunst opstår. Der skal være noget på spil – og i spil. Sådan lyder nogle af balletmesterens visioner for Den Kongelige Ballet. At lægge for med en egen iscenesættelse er i den grad at stille sig selv til skue.
Balletmester Nikolaj Hübbe udtaler:

”Jeg er selvfølgelig ekstremt spændt på at se danserne i Giselle. Det er jo ’mine’ dansere nu, hvor de tidligere bare var til låns, når jeg instruerede og underviste. Men jeg er sikker på, at dét grundarbejde, vi har igangsat, er den rigtige vej for Den Kongelige Ballet.
Ikke mindst glæder jeg mig til at se Silja Schandorff i partiet som Giselle – en rolle, der er som skræddersyet til hende.”

Nikolaj Hübbe har ikke lagt skjult på, at Giselle er en hyldest til Den Kongelige Ballets kvindelige dansere – og i særdeleshed til Silja Schandorff, der er en dansk ballerina med international klasse, og Giselle er hendes parti, da det både viser hendes yndefulde teknik og fantastiske dramatiske talent.
Silja Schandorff, der har taget sin uddannelse på Det Kongelige Teaters balletskole og danset hele sin karriere på Det Kongelige Teater, nærmer sig de 40 år, som er pensionsalderen for en danser. Hun danser over for amerikanske Nehemiah Kish, som har søgt til København for at arbejde med Den Kongelige Ballet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:51 pm 

Reviews coming in, and very positive they are:

(English)
Eva Kistrup's much prefers the second cast, Mads Blangstrup and Gudrun Bojesen: click here.

(Danish)
5 out of 6 stars from the Berlingske's Vibeke Wern. She points out that the sets and costumes are from Erik Bruhn's 1979 production.

Also 5 out of 6 stars from the Jylland Posten's Henrik Lyding.

Monna Dithmer from Politiken also rates it 5 out of 6 stars.

The reviewers praise Kish's technique and partnering, but - Wern excepting - are less impressed with his acting and character interpretation. I've not seen Kish perform, but would suspect that he's capable, but hard pressed to make impression when compared to the Danes who are world renowned for their dramatic skills. Particularly when he's followed in the role by Mads Blangstrup, who is one of the finest romantic-dramatic dancers in the world today. (His James in 'La Sylphide' is one of ballet's must sees)

It's interesting in that the first cast is largely international (Kish, Mora, Watson etc.), whilst the second cast is mostly Danish. And the second cast is the one I'd beg, borrow or steal to go see - Blangstrup, Bojesen as Giselle, another superb character dancer, Morten Eggert, as Hilarion, and the new young talent, Charlie Andersen, partnered with Diana Cuni in the Act 1 pas de deux. That's pretty close to ballet heaven in my books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 am 

Quote:
....the second cast is mostly Danish. And the second cast is the one I'd beg, borrow or steal to go see -

Me too Kate, but I was able to get a sneak preview when I was in Denmark back in May and caught Yao Wei and Ulrik Birkkjær in rehearsal. These two were also very good with Yao Wei looking like a very sweet and gentle Giselle

Profile E-mail