public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm 

Thank you so very much, Cassandra !

As much as I try to write reviews that are interesting and entertaining and exhibit my own attempts at creativity (to be totally honest)--by far "The Most Important Thing" for me is to relate as honestly and accurately as possible "The Incredible Artistry" that I have been so fortunate to have seen and to try and recreate some of the actual feeling and excitement of having been there.

To convey somehow "The Brilliance And Beauty Of Their Amazing Artistry" is what really matters to me.

The Bolshoi last week along with many other wonderful groups that I have seen deserve all the praise and recognition that can be given them.

Thanks again and most thanks to all these great performing artists who make all of us here love them enough to devote all the time and attention that we love giving them.

P.S.--Congratulations also to Ruslan Pronin, who danced a very fine and committed 'Rothbart', to the Three and Four Swans and to all the other dancers and artists who made these performances so enjoyable and so successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:47 am 

Buddy,

Thanks for all the great reports! 8)

I just got on DVD of Svetlana Zakharova's performance in the Bourmeister-choreographed Swan Lake and while it was a great performance, there was something that left a little to be desired--she was a bit too "technically perfect" in the role. I kind of prefer Ulyana Lopatkina's slightly "off" performance as Odette, because it brings out the vulnerability of that character better.

By the way, I found it very interesting that in the Yuri Gregorovich production you don't see Odette come out first like you see in the current Mariinsky version, which more or less the Konstantin Sergeyev version first produced in 1950. Does Odette in the Gregorovich version wear a small crown like you see in the Sergeyev version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:42 pm 

Thanks for the thanks, Sacto7654.

Regarding what Svetlana Zakharova wore on her head, I simply don't remember. I don't believe that any of the Odettes wore a crown of any kind.

I think that her video was made about four years ago. This summer I would say that her dancing was smoother and more relaxed. Her character portrayal was very well developed and excellent.

In the video, for me, there is a certain freshness that she has, being slightly younger and less familiar with the performance. Of course newness and freshness are relative terms. With a ballerina as perfected as Svetlana Zakharova these elements may be less visible, but comparing the video and the Amsterdam performance they were noticeable to me. I do consider her to be one of the most consistently beautiful and accomplished dancers that I know of, both on video and performing live.