public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:37 am 

ksneds wrote:
Joseph Gatti and Adairys Alemeida (sp?), a couple on and off the stage, are leaving Cincinnati Ballet to join Corella's new company.

Thanks a lot!!! :)

I didn't know and I'm so exited about this new Company!!! I guess we will have a lot of news the next months :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:47 pm 

Quote:
Iain Mackay and Silvia Jimenez to leave Company after Swan Lake

Iain Mackay and Silvia Jimenez have confirmed that they will be leaving Birmingham Royal Ballet at the end of the current Swan Lake season. The dancers, who were married last year, will be moving to Madrid.

Article here

Does anyone know if these two dancers are leaving Birmingham Ballet to join Angel Corella’ company?

I’m pretty sure they will as I can’t imagine another reason to move to Spain but would like to be sure…

If yes, many couples in the new Company :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:52 am 

For tose interested in, I’m posting here below information about the brand new company “Corella Ballet”

Here it is the first list of dancers forwarded by the press department of the company in early May:

'CORELLA BALLET' LIST of DANCERS

PRINCIPALS

1 Ángel Corella (Español)
2 Heman Cornejo (Argentino)
3 Ian Mackey (Inglés)
4 Carmen Corella (Español)
5 Adiarys Almeida (Cubana)
6 Natalia Tapia (Española)

1st SOLOISTS

1 Kazuko Omori (Japonesa)
2 Matthew Golding (Canadiense)

SOLOISTS

1 Ashley Ellis (Americana)
2 Joseph Gatti (Americano)
3 Radev Kirill (Ruso)

CORPS

Boys

1 Ion Agirretxe Iglesias (Español)
2 Roberto Sánchez González (Español)
3 Ivan Sánchez González (Español)
4 Daniel Fajardo Villares (Español)
5 Russell Ducker (Inglés)
6 Toby Mallitt (Ingleé)
7 Zambello Pietro (Italiano)
8 Luca Giaccio (Italiano)
9 Yerlan Andagulov (Kazakhstan)
10 George Birkatze (Georgia)
11 Sergei D'yachkov (Ruso)
12 Denis D'yachkov (Ruso)
13 Yevgen Uzlenkov (Ruso)
14 Fernando Bufala (Español)

Girls

1 Neus Expósito Fernandez (Española)
2 Alba Cazorla Luengo (Española)
3 Georgia Molina González (Española)
4 Marta Ludevid Sanmarti (Española)
5 Ana Calderón (Española)
6 Andrea Palacios Fernández (Española)
7 Cristina Casa Gómez (Española)
8 Carla López Ponlla (Española)
9 Raquel Santamarta Rodríguez (Española)
10 Victoria Villanueva (Española)
11 Ana Cabral (Portuguesa)
12 Mª José Sales (Española)
13 Carrie Walsh (Inglesa)
14 Daisy Brodskis (Inglesa)
16 Andrea Estefanía Pumar (Argentina)
17 Tracy Jones (Irlandesa)
18 Alexandra Basmagy (Americana)
19 Yoko Callegari (Americana)
20 Irene Campillo (Española)
21 Irene Vaqueiro (Española )
22 Carolina Chico (Española )
23 María Sordo (Española )

APPRENTICES

1 Mirella Lorente (Española)
2 Greta Wright (Inglesa)
3 Silvia Inés Otero (Española)
4 Margarita Cuellar (Española)

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The official premiere of "Corella Ballet" will be with La Bayadere (Natalia Makarova) at the Teatro Real in Madrid, in September 4, 2008, but already on July 11 and 12, the "Corella Ballet" will perform at La Granja (Segovia) where the Company is set. The program will be “Clear” (Stanton Welch); “Bruch Violín Concerto nº 1 (Clark Tippet) and “In the Upper Room” (Twyla Tharp).

Just to inform you that tickets for La Granja will be on sale from today, June 24, at La Granja Town Council, Sfera shops and at El corte Inglés at a price: 25-45 €. At el Corte Inglés they can be purchased on-line El Corte Inglés – Ticketsor by phone: +34 921 470018

For La Bayadère in Madrid, September 2008, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 & 10 at 20:00 h. tickets will be on sale from July 15. Teatro Real – Tickets

For La Bayadère at El Liceu in Barcelona, July 2009, 9, 10 (two shows) & 11 (two shows) Gran Teatre del Liceu, tickets will be on sale from July 14 at 09:00 a.m. Ángel Corella will perform on July 9, at 8 pm and on July 11, at 10 pm.

Please join me in wishing good luck and long life to the Corella Ballet!! Ángel deserves this!!

:)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 am 

Wow, what an interesting mix of international dancers. Plaese keep us informed about the company. I hope they are successful.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:07 am 

Please, I can't find the website of this company!
Do you know where I can have more informations?

thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:01 am 

Here you GO! Looks like they are still finishing up the site.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:18 am 

Greetings
It's a bit less international that I was expecting from earlier reports, but the scarcity of non-EU dancers below the soloist level is not surprising given EU hiring regulations. I would not be surprised if some of the Americans listed in the corps also have citizenship in a EU country. [Most companies do not allow non-EU citizens to allow auditions, though they may be able to hire non-EU dancers with experience depending upon the willingness of the national immigrations authority to grant work permits and the availability of equivalent EU talent.] But I'm happy to see that lots of Spanish dancers are getting a chance to be a part of the company, rather than having a company spliced together from mostly foreign dancers. I think have some sort of national identity will be vital in creating lasting support for the company within Spain.

More intriguingly, the company numbers only 48 plus apprentices (actually 46 according to the names on the website), with a few dancers (Corella, Cornejo) having part-time commitments elsewhere. For some reason, I thought the company was going to be a fair bit larger. Was Corella not able to find enough dancers of sufficient quality or was 48 the limit with available funding or did they decide to start smaller?

It will be interesting to see how they approach 'La Bayadere' - especially doing two performances in one day - which needs a large female corps in addition to having a number of soloist/principal female roles. I think even ABT, which does a slightly smaller version, uses 24 Shades, which is two more than Corella Ballet has in it's corps. Do they intend to do a cut down version (Shades-wise), hire in extras for the production or ???

I also wonder if it's the best choice for a first full length with a smaller, less experience corps - no matter how good your soloists are, if your Shades corp is wobbly or out of synch, the ballet won't pass muster. And there's nothing for the Shades to hide behind - it's do or die. I'd think it a big shame if the company got 'mauled' by the corps on it's first big outing just because the rep choice was poor. Perhaps they'd be best sticking with more mix rep programs - like the very first - until the company is a bit more experienced. They could do excerpts from the big ballets - like a smaller Shades scene or bits of Swan Lake - but in tandem with other pdd or excerpts so that if one bit was a bit wobbly, it wouldn't take down the whole evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:51 pm 

Yesterday there was a Gala in La Granja to present the company with authorities and Spanish stars attending. The dancers were all invited.

If you want to see how they look: Corella Ballet dancers at the Company presentation, July 9, 2008

Performances are schedulled for tomorrow and Saturday and I can't wait to be there :D

Published in this article in Spanish (Photo by EFE agency)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 pm 

Excellent. Please give us a full report!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:33 am 

LMCtech wrote:
Excellent. Please give us a full report!!!

I’ll try :)

The weather was awful, it was raining a lot on Friday afternoon and nobody expected that the performance would take place but as it stopped, everybody, including the dancers with Ángel at their head started throwing away the water and drying the site. The show began more that an hour after schedule in a very, very, cold night, so it was nearly 24:00 h.

But there was great expectation to see what this brand new company looked like after so few time rehearsing together. And even the most optimistic ones got astonished :shock:

We knew about the high quality of some principals, and even some corps members, but the whole company really looked very compact, very settled and they succeeded in the three choreographies with great command.

Audience has been very grateful about them dancing in such bad conditions because not only the cold but the humidity was present and the floor on stage was wet, making it very difficult and dangerous for the dancers. On Saturday it didn’t rain but the cold and the difficulties were the same and they succeeded again.

Ángel was radiant, happy and very grateful to his team and to the attendants, a cold night that it seemed to me one of the warmest in my life.

A report will follow but just to share with you all a bit of my emotion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:56 am 

An article of Julie Kavanagh has been Published on Intelligent Life (The Economist) about our brand new company :)

Quote:
LIFT-OFF

• FINE & PERFORMING ARTS

ANGEL CORELLA'S NEW TURN
| July 15th 2008

Spain has ballet stars, but no major ballet company. Now one of those stars, ANGEL Corella, is launching his own. Julie Kavanagh watches it take shape ...

From INTELLIGENT LIFE magazine, Summer 2008

Spain's dance heritage dates back to Carthaginian times, when castanets were seashells, but its classical ballet tradition is 30 years old, if that. Since 1978 small ballet companies have started up and petered out, and yet half a dozen international stars--American Ballet Theatre's ANGEL Corella and the Royal Ballet's Tamara Rojo among them--owe their fabulous techniques to Spanish training. It was because there was no native company for him to join that the 19-year-old Corella was forced to go abroad, leaving home in Madrid and joining ABT, with only a few words of English, in 1995. Rumours of his gifts sparked such a buzz that he was profiled in the New York Times before making his American debut, and today you have only to Google "Corella pirouettes" to see why. YouTube has clips of his trademark multiple turns taken from a single preparation, his 1994 gold-medal-winning solo, his reinvention of hackneyed old variations from "Don Quixote"; and "Le Corsaire".

Article here

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:10 am 

I hope a report will be published soon but if anyone want to see how the company looks like, please take a look here

Web page of Corella Ballet

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:41 am 

Nice pictures on that website. Thanks for posting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:21 am 

Here it is our article about the Corella Ballet Castilla León Pre-premiere in La Granja

Hope you will enjoy :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:28 am 

For you to see how it is going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6T90x_VYZU

In the video in addition to Mrs. Natalia Makarova, Ángel and Carmen Corella we can also see Adiarys Almeida and then Natalia Tapia with Iain Mackay.

I also put here links to other two bits of this same recording:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2008/08/2 ... 78214.html

http://www.soitu.es/soitu/2008/08/25/in ... 34682.html

I recognize some well known Corps members, as for instance Cristina Casa whose photos are in our reports in fotoescena.

It is for next week!!! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next