public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Francisco Ethnis Dance Festival 2008
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:17 pm 

The festival turns 30 this year. An article from Rachel Howard.

Quote:
San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival turns 30
Rachel Howard

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Chicos, listos?" Zenon Barrón's voice calls out through a sweaty studio in the San Francisco Dance Center. "Última vez, última vez!"

Rattling drums. Plaintive flute. Echelons of men march solemnly, their leader leaping fiercely about them. A circle of women hold up their hands as if to blow conch shells and flap their arms like bats. Finally, the king chooses a queen.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:18 pm 

From the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
Ethnic Dance Festival brings global rhythms to S.F. stage
By Jennifer Modenessi
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 06/08/2008 12:00:45 AM PDT

FOR 30 YEARS, the Bay Area has been home to what is regarded as one of the best ethnic dance festivals in the country, and maybe the world.

"I've been in the United States for 23 years," says Ahmet Luleci, founder and artistic director of Pleasanton's CollageWest Dance Theatre, which will perform a modern medley of traditional Turkish regional dances in its first appearance in the San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival. "I've seen most festivals and workshops and I say this from the bottom of my heart — it's the best in the country."

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:03 am 

From the SF Chronicle about one of the companies performing in the festival.

Quote:
ABADÁ-Capoeira at Ethnic Dance Festival
Cory Lopez, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In a Mission District studio, a barefooted Brazilian woman in white pants steps to the front of a group of about 30 students.

Speaking almost entirely in Portuguese, the instructor dives into 90 heart-racing minutes of capoeira, a centuries-old Afro-Brazilian martial art.

"You gotta feel the rhythm," she says in English, pacing her students' moves with the beat of a tambourine. The students attempt to mimic every move of their teacher, master capoeira artist Márcia Treidler.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm 

Another article on one of this year's participants. As a seamstress, I find this article really interesting. I've made costumes from some crazy materials, but never plants. Wasn't there a Project Runway challenge that was something like that?

Quote:
Hawaiian troupe's costumes are home grown
Ron Sullivan,Joe Eaton

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Halau o Keikiali'i gets part of its performance regalia from Hawaii. Raw materials for the rest grow right here in the garden of the APOP (Aloha Pumehana 'O Polynesia) Hawaiian Cultural Center, where members meet to learn, practice and make traditional food and hula clothing.

Traditionally, Hawaiian hula is sacred and hula plants - kinolau - are among the embodiments of the gods. The ti plant - "ki" in Hawaiian - is the kinolau of Ku, who protects against evil. The percussive ipu gourd is the kinolau of Lono, the spirit of fertility.

more...

Profile E-mail