public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi everybody, I'm new...... a little unsure
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:23 pm 

Hi :D

I found this site by accident and I'm very excited to see all the passionate people about :). I adore ballet....and dance, art...I teach ballet now after dancing, myself.

Looking foward to getting to know everyone
Marama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 pm 

Welcome, Marama! We look forward to hearing more from you! I also teach after a dancing career. Glad you found us... :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:00 am 

Hi, Marama! Please feel free to tell us a little more about your background -- training, career, where -- favorite roles, favorite dancers, choreographers, colleagues, etc. We are eager to share with you, but we need to know where to begin!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: A little deeper
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:30 pm 

..First of all I think I have given everyone the wrong idea, sadly :o .
My computer crashed before I could finish my intro. I have to admit to everyone here I did not make it into a company.
I feel in love with ballet on my first class. My life changed from then on. I had the most inspiring teacher you could ever imagine. Ann Judson put everything into it. At 15 I moved to a bigger town, Christchurch to take ballet further. everything was going to plan, I was getting all the chances. Ballet school, local performances.
But I went ridding once with my twin and had a terrible accident. Two years later, and after many operations I had to give up, pointwork at a professional level was out of the question. Broken hearted, I moved to a very small town and finished my last year of school art was my second strong point.
Now though after a few changes I have started up a dance school with help and support from my first dance teacher. I run classes with the BBO sylabys, I adore this. My classes go from four year olds to Adults. I would love to hear about everyone's experinces. I'm in awe of all you proffecional dancers.../once were :wink:
Marama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:09 am 

YOu have an interesting story and I'm glad you shared it. Not everyone contributing here had a career in dance. We all have very different backgrounds and backstories. It's one of the things I love about our community.

After getting a degree in dance from a respected university, I did not pursue a performing career and instead headed backstage. I have never regretted my decision.

I hope you will check out our archives and participate in the discussions in the Studio. It's always good to have many perspectives when talking about training dancers.

Welcome!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:19 pm 

Thankyou, I will.

That sounds like you must have had a wonderful time. What particular processes were you involved with?

From what exploring I have done so far, the advice and ideas thrown back and fourth is fantastic!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:24 pm 

Permit me to introduce myself, too.

I'm starting to collect ballet videos on DVD and I'm hoping to get a number of classical ballets on video. :)

It'll be interesting to see how well the Russians continue to fund the Mariinsky Theater and Bolshoi Theater, especially now that Russia is back on firm financial footing with their very large oil revenues (Russia is now the world's largest oil exporter, exporting most of its output to western Europe).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:37 am 

Greetings

Welcome to CriticalDance!

The Russian question is indeed very interesting. Unfortunately just because Russia has great oil resources does not mean that it will become rich, nor that any of that money will end up going to the arts. It's a great discussion topic - it would be well worth posting in our dance issues forum as we have a number of posters from Russia and/or with knowledge of Russia

We wish you good luck in your search for DVDs and I'm sure some our posters can help with suggestions about where to buy legal recordings. However, please do read our courtesy policies, and note that due to copyright issues, CriticalDance does not permit onsite (on the forum or using the associated private message system) trading or selling of video/DVD recordings. We understand that it is perfectly legal to buy/trade/sell commercially available recordings, but our volunteer moderators don't always have the time or information to determine the legality of a recording. In addition, not all internet buyers and sellers, unfortunately, are reputable and we do not want to have fradulent dealings occur via our forum. Thus we ask that all buying, selling or trading of tapes be conducted via private e-mail.

Depending on your location, there are a number of places which have excellent collections of legal dance recordings:

* Royal Opera House Store - the finest collection of dance DVDs/VHS tapes around and can be shipped anywhere in the EU

* Stores at Lincoln Center - the one by the Met (and if it has not been permanent shut down), the store in the underground area between the theatres. The NYCB gift shop, open for ticket holders during performances, also sells a good selection of DVDs and has a website.

* The Princeton Record Store in Princeton, NJ often has dance DVDs among their outstanding collection of new and used DVDs

* Online, you can find many DVDs via EBay, Kultur, Amazon and www.dancebooks.co.uk

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 am 

ksneds,

Thanks for the reply! 8)

I may just post what I talked about in the dance issues forum, because with Russia now being the world's biggest oil exporter and the fact Russians LOVE opera and ballet, I'm sure some of that oil revenue will help upgrade both the Mariinsky and Bolshoi troupes.

As for getting ballet DVD's, I only get them from legitimate sources, namely certified eBay resellers and Amazon.com, mostly because I can get them new and I can get replacements in case of a defective disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:06 pm 

Welcome, Sacto! You're in my backyard, so to speak. Do you go to see Sacramento Ballet at all? It's been years since I've seen them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:33 pm 

LMCtech wrote:
Welcome, Sacto! You're in my backyard, so to speak. Do you go to see Sacramento Ballet at all? It's been years since I've seen them.

I saw their production of Sleeping Beauty back in April 2008. It looked really good (well, it better be--the costumes they borrowed cost US$1.5 million! :shock: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 am 

Ahhh, but how was the dancing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi everybody, I'm new...... a little unsure
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 pm 

Hi,this is lynne from USA...... :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm 

Hi Lynne! Welcome. Always good to have another dance lover here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:55 am 

Hi Marama,
I am new in this forum too and I am here to get some tips for new comers.
I am excited as I found many informative threats here and I will try to be regular here to get maximum stuff.
Hope to be greeted by old members.
bootcamp san antonio

Profile E-mail