The Royal Theatre seeks
Artistic director for The Royal Danish Ballet
The position as artistic director for The Royal Danish Ballet at The Royal Theatre is vacant from July 1st 2008.
The artistic director is appointed by the board of the theatre and reports to the managing director. The artistic director for the Ballet works in line with the artistic director for the Opera and the artistic director for the Drama and these three represent jointly the artistic line of The Royal Theatre. The artistic director has both artistic and the overall financial-administrative responsibility for the Ballet. Administrator Henrik Sten Petersen attends to the daily administrative direction under the artistic director.
The appointed artistic director is assumed available on a consultant basis from the summer 2007 in order to begin the planning of the repertoire for the season 2008/09 and onwards.
The Ballet Department has a separate budget which includes the ballet company, instructors, pianists and a number of other employees as stage managers, producers and administrative personnel. The activities of the Ballet Department are at the moment performances at Kgs. Nytorv (Old Stage), at the Opera (both Store Scene and Takkelloftet) as well as touring and outdoor performances. It is planned that the Ballet will do both smaller and bigger productions on a regular basis at the new drama house when it opens in February 2008.
It is in the interest of The Royal Theatre to receive applications from a wide, international range of candidates.
The artistic director must be able to:
* Both preserve and renew the Bournonville tradition and constantly develop the Ballet as well as secure and develop its central place in the Danish cultural life, the international ballet world and in the mind of the audience.
* Secure the global position of the Ballet both by choice of repertoire and artists as well as guest performances and tours.
* Participate in the creation of new ballets and scenic modes of expressions.
* Take care of and develop the artistic personnel.
* Position the art form and seek new ways of enhancing the awareness of ballet, and open the theatre for a larger and broader audience.
* Cooperate with the other art forms at The Royal Theatre.
* Contribute to a continuous strengthening of the education system for the ballet and active work for the best possible recruitment for the ballet company both national and international.
* Control a financial-administrative system for the ballet department to ensure an optimum use of the resources.
The position is presupposed to be occupied as fixed-term appointment.
The application has to be marked “Artistic Director for The Ballet”. It has to be addressed to the chairman of the board Mads Øvlisen and send to Teaterchefen, Det Kongelige Teater, Postbox 2185, 1017 Copenhagen K, or if necessary per e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
so the application is received at the theatre Friday 2nd March 2007, at 4 pm at the latest.
All interested regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic nationality are encouraged to apply for the position.