public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Argentine tango - falling in love
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:09 am 

I think many people who dance argentine tango will have the 'falling-in-love' kind of feeling when they dance deeply into the music and is well connected with their dance partner ... but this troubled me, sometimes the feeling is so strong that i feel soak into it and can't escape even 2 to 3 days after the dance, this lead to problems between me and my boyfriend. Cos, we are the kind of couple more like friends, we communicate very well but there's less passion between us, so, the passion and feelings i get from dancing tango with somebody else can be even more overwhelming than the feeling between us... that's the problem.
Have anybody experienced such feeling like me? can you share with me how you deal with that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:38 am 

Quote:
I love tango - as long as I'm only watching it. So how on earth did I find myself being led on to a packed dancefloor?
by MAUREEN LIPMAN for the Guardian

Back in the ballroom of desire, one tall, skeletal refugee from an Almodóvar film, wearing a beret pulled down rakishly over one eye, moved seamlessly across the floor with his blonde partner. He possessed only one arm but his shoulder was doubly expressive to make up. Then there was Joan, wispy and blonde, of uncertain age, dancing every step with high-octane verve. "I started a year ago," she beamed, "and I go four nights a week now!"

"Yeah," said her daughter. "I've lost my babysitter to a Latin beat."

published: August 28, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:42 pm 

From Joe Ray in the travel section of the Boston Globe: Uno, dos, tango
"A writer’s obsession born by the Seine drives his desire to learn the dance full of Argentine heart."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:36 am 

Beautiful article!!!

Just back from Buenos Aires, where I studied tango in a wonderful school, full of wonderful people that I would recommend to anyone visiting the city.

Yes, there is something that is difficult to explain about tango, about the beauty of dancing with people, of touching people, of connecting with them... I think we have somehow lost that in the West and to be able to let yourself go and go back to the basics of dance: the floor, the space, the music and your partner brings a new dimension to your appreciation and enjoyment of dance.

La Glorieta, the milonga the author talks about in the article, was a wonderful expresion of what tango is for Argentineans... it's not just a place to dance, it's a demonstration of the need to connect with people, with all people... the need to shut yourself from everything else around you and dance... just dance. I wish we could recover that almost sacred mood in our theatrical dance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:04 am 

From Grace Talusan in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
Take the lead - They dance in studios, and on moonlit bridges, drawn to tango’s close embrace

In tango, there are leaders and followers.

Traditionally, men were leaders and women, followers. But in the early 1990s, Hsueh-tze (pronounced “Shootsie”) Lee, ever the iconoclast, learned both roles. Soon, devotees of the Argentine tango in Boston - and later, across the nation - knew her as “the woman who leads.”

Lee says she needed to know both roles, leader and follower, to teach Argentine tango ...

more...