Six hot new works ... on pointe
Sydney 21 Feb - 24 Feb

Swan Lake
Graeme Murphy’s internationally acclaimed favourite returns
Melbourne 14 Mar - 26 Mar Sydney 4 Apr - 24 Apr

Jerome Robbins - a celebration
A showcase from one of the world’s greatest dance makers
Sydney 30 Apr - 19 May Melbourne 5 Jun - 16 Jun

(The Cage, The Concert, Afternoon of a Faun and Suite of Dances)

Ballets Russes Symposium
Discover more about the Ballets Russes at this fascinating weekend Symposium
Adelaide 23 May - 25 May

French Connections
Where Russian bravura meets French chic
Adelaide 23 May - 27 May

(Afternoon of a Faun, Ballet Imperial and Symphonie Fantastique)

Ballet Imperial
Break out your tiaras for this feast of classical ballet!
Melbourne 20 Jun - 1 Jul

(Ballet Imperial, PdD feom La Bayadere, PdD from Act 3 of Sleeping Beauty, Grand Pas Classique, Esmerelda PdD and Paquita PdT)

Giselle
The ultimate Romantic ballet.
Brisbane 8 Jul - 12 Jul

Interplay
Twenty-first century ballet from three international hot shots, created to new scores from renowned Australian composers
Melbourne 28 Aug - 8 Sep Sydney 6 Nov - 25 Nov

(ballets by Stephen Baynes, Matjash Mrozewski and Nicolo Fonte)

Manon
A sweeping tale of love and temptation
Melbourne 12 Sep - 23 Sep Sydney 28 Nov - 17 Dec

Post subject: Ballet Imperial
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:30 am 

Ballet Imperial
Break out your tiaras for this feast of classical ballet!
Melbourne 20 Jun - 1 Jul

Who is going to see these ballets? I see that paquita is shown again and a good hand full of other classics too. I cannot wait to get the tickets in march. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:20 pm 

Yosvani Ramos is joining the Australian Ballet. Details here

Very interesting, since it's my understanding that Australian residence is a requirement for being hired (as per the company union rather than immigrations regulations). I wonder if this is a special case - you don't get many dancers of the caliber who probably willing to relocate half way around the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:00 pm 

ksneds wrote:
Yosvani Ramos is joining the Australian Ballet. Details here

Very interesting, since it's my understanding that Australian residence is a requirement for being hired.

This dancer would fly though the whole process of bieing naturalised as he is a ballet dancer!! No problem at all. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:52 am 

What a great pleasure to finally watch beautiful new pieces of dance... "Notte in Bianco" was the one I prefered, sensual, modern and original ! "Triple": in the Balanchine's tradition on the famous Campanella from Liszt, simply beautiful ! "Point Break": once again, Balanchine is here... Inspired from "Rubis" on the wonderful Mendelssohn's Piano Concerto 1. "Wa": as light & pure as the air... "La Barkat": inspired from Béjart's Bhakti, breathtaking ! This ended with "Amusement" on a Bach's suite.

Dancers were all perfect. Pieces were quite long and with many techinical difficulties but it seemed so easy for them :shock: .
And they are all so beautiful ! I mean, I'm used to the silhouette of Paris dancers, and I can tell you that I really enjoyed not seeing so skinny girls on pointes !

I really had a great time. It had been quite a while since I was taken by surprise in the good way with contemporary choregraphs :wink: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:59 pm 

Thankyou Dodovox :D I wondered about Balanchine as he was one of the classic ballets greats and we will never see another like him.

Being stuck in Australia we don't get to see the Europe's greats here but we do have a great company here as Australian Ballet is a quite a joy to see and also the Melbourne's Arts Center is a beautiful theater in which I see.

How is the Paris Opera Theater? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:30 am 

Anthill wrote:

Well, I keep going twice, three times a year or more to Paris (I usually live in the south of France, so it's not so far...), depending on the proram...
It was really, really magic when dancers from Noureev generation were still here... Now, it's still very good, and many young dancers are talentful, but something is missing in the interpretation, in my opinion...

I saw the Australian Ballet twice and I must admit that the thing I really appreciated is that you can see the dancers having a good time on stage, which is sometimes not the case in Paris...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:09 pm 

Quote:
Well, I keep going twice, three times a year or more to Paris (I usually live in the south of France, so it's not so far...), depending on the proram...

You lucky thing!!! I was in Paris for only six hours and just had dinner and back on the train to lurdes at the south of France. I would love to see the Paris Opera as that would be a cultural high for me. :D

Quote:
It was really, really magic when dancers from Nureyev generation were still here... Now, it's still very good, and many young dancers are talentful, but something is missing in the interpretation, in my opinion...

That's a shame that this is happening. I wonder what's missing. :?
Quote:
I saw the Australian Ballet twice and I must admit that the thing I really appreciated is that you can see the dancers having a good time on stage, which is sometimes not the case in Paris...

Oh good!! :) I find that when dancers are happy then the performances are of good quality that brings spunk in the dance.

Its much like the Les Ballet's Trockadero de Mote Carlo performances as they are into Classical Russian Ballet and make fun out of it and they make a party atmosphere which makes more exciting. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:15 pm 

Anthill wrote:

Paris Opera Ballet toured Australian last year. They even did Balanchine's Jewels. Did you miss that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:25 pm 

I was not aware that the Paris Opera was in town. Gee another ballet I have missed. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:23 am 

I went to see Graeme Murphy's Sawn Lake and I must admit, after all the reviews I read, I was really deceived :(...

The choregraphy was good, the dancers were excellent :D , the costumes were beautiful... But why this need to put the story in a more realist world :? ? If I'm going to see a ballet, it's still to dream, forget about everything, and yes I do love princes & princesses stories !!!

I didn't go into this story putting the fragile Odette in a psychiatric hospital while fighting against her husband's mistress and then dreaming about swans...
What I usually like in Swan Lake is the dual character of Odette/Odile danced by the same ballerina, which makes it a particulary interesting role... Here it's just the matter of a banal fight between a naive wife and her possessive rival, so that the accent is on the two female dancers and the male role has become really poor :( ...

I did the mistake to read the program during the intermission and I learned that it's been called the House of Windsor version because the story about Diana, Charles and Camilla was the departure point of this ballet. This definitely ended my dream :( ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:37 am 

dodovox wrote:
I went to see Graeme Murphy's Sawn Lake and I must admit, after all the reviews I read, I was really deceived :(...

Yes, I too like the Prince and Princesses as well as this is an old story made for todays real life as I was instantly put off.

Quote:
The choregraphy was good, the dancers were excellent :D , the costumes were beautiful... But why this need to put the story in a more realist world :? ? If I'm going to see a ballet, it's still to dream, forget about everything, and yes I do love princes & princesses stories !!!

The Choreography was quite good and the technical was so effortlessness done as this makes this worth the wile to watch.
Quote:
I didn't go into this story putting the fragile Odette in a psychiatric hospital while fighting against her husband's mistress and then dreaming about swans...

Yes that was so unrealistic to the story I thought as if I were to do a Choreography to a ballet, It would be from the ground up meaning that if it was to modern works then I would look at a story of my own making rather than modifying an old one.
Quote:
What I usually like in Swan Lake is the dual character of Odette/Odile danced by the same ballerina, which makes it a particulary interesting role... Here it's just the matter of a banal fight between a naive wife and her possessive rival, so that the accent is on the two female dancers and the male role has become really poor :( ...

Yes I agree with that. There is at one point where Odette & Odille see each other in act 3 where Odette was at the window and Odille was in the palace with prince Fredrick but this ballet is so designed for one prima ballerina doing the two roles.
Quote:
I did the mistake to read the program during the intermission and I learned that it's been called the House of Windsor version because the story about Diana, Charles and Camilla was the departure point of this ballet. This definitely ended my dream :( ...

I didn't get the programe that you would get in the foyer of many theaters as I have watched this on TV on ABC2 at home so I didn't get to read the synopsis of this ballet.
Anyway I will see the Keiv Ballet Theater in their Swan Lake and that I will enjoy. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:18 pm 

Stephanie Glickman reviews the Australian Ballet's tribute to Jerome Robbins ("The Cage," "Afternoon of a Faun," "A Suite of Dances," and "The Concert") from a performance in Melbourne, in Australian Stage:

Australian Stage

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:11 pm 

Thankyou Francis :D , The australian ballet is not far behind in the ballet greats that we see today as I have seen with Paquita last year and that was exciting.

The Keiv Ballet Theater was absolutely fabulous and had a great seat. The only disappointment is an orchestra was missing as the theater didn't have a pit for them.
I should get something from the Melbourne Arts Center as they have the Victorian Orchestra with the ballet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 pm 

An interview with Valerie Wilder, recently appointed as Executive Director at Australian Ballet, who has had similar posts at National Ballet of Canada and most recently at Boston Ballet. Sonia Harford in The Age:

The Age

Profile E-mail