public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: San Francisco Bay Area Holiday Performances
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 pm 

Rachel Howard has the scoop inthe SF Chronicle.

Quote:
Bay Area holiday dances for all - 'Nutcracker' fan or not

Rachel Howard

Friday, November 16, 2007

"There are birthday parties, bar and bat mitzvahs, graduations, marriages, funerals, Christmas dinners ... and, in North America at least, 'The Nutcracker,' " Jennifer Fisher writes in her fascinating book "Nutcracker Nation." The sentiment rings as true as critic Richard Buckle's famous quotation that every year, we are all "one more 'Nutcracker' closer to death."

How you feel about "Nutcracker" may have more to do with your grinch tendencies than the ballet itself: Could anyone truly resist that gorgeous Tchaikovsky score? Or do anything but smile at the sight of dancing snowflakes?

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:52 pm 

From the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
LIVELY ARTS: MARGOT ABBOTT
Beloved holiday ballet waltzes into Livermore
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 12/07/2007 03:05:27 AM PST

VALLEY DANCE THEATRE, now in its 27th year, brings "The Nutcracker" to the Bankhead Theater starting Dec. 15.
This is the group's first performance in the new theater, and with them comes the Livermore-Amador Symphony's Pit Orchestra and the Harmony Fusion Chorus.

The dancers are from both the company and its children's division. This company only presents two performances a year, so "The Nutcracker" is a big, beautiful production. Attendees will be seeing the entire ballet with live music, which definitely is special. Do I need to mention that Tchaikovsky wrote the familiar, beloved music?

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:54 pm 

Also from the Contra Costa Times. Jeez, how many Nutcrackers can one county support...

Quote:
'The Nutcracker' makes return
Pittsburg's Creative Arts Building hosts production after three-year hiatus

By Judith Prieve
STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 12/07/2007 02:58:52 AM PST

PITTSBURG -- After a three-year absence, Pittsburg's Creative Arts Building will once again ring in the holiday spirit with the presentation of a colorful classic rendition of "The Nutcracker."
For several years a local dance studio, along with some Bay Area professionals, presented the popular ballet at the historic theater, but after the director retired, the lights went dark on "The Nutcracker." Now, the nonprofit Peninsula Ballet Theatre is bringing Carlos Carvajal's critically acclaimed production of the beloved ballet to the venerable theater for the first time.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:24 pm 

From the Contra Costa Times

Quote:
OUR NEIGHBORS: CHRIS TREADWAY
See an abridged 'Nutcracker'
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched: 12/13/2007 03:21:55 AM PST

THE EL CERRITO BALLET CENTER has conducted outreach programs since 1979, taking dance presentations to schools and senior facilities across West County. The public is invited to see this year's program, a version of the "Nutcracker" ballet, at a free open house Saturday.
The presentation is ideal for those with limited time during the busy holiday season.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:41 pm 

You can find reviews of SFB's 2007 Nutcracker (and Maria Kochetkova's debut) here:

http://www.mariakochetkova.com/2007/10/ ... place.html

I think this is SFB's best Nutcracker. I've seen two casts so far. Maria Kochetkova was full of vitality and elegance in her debut in the Grand PDD (thank you English National Ballet!); but the following night Vanessa Zahorian made the role completely her own as well. It looks like SFB can now field at least four world-class Nutcracker casts. I admire Elana Altman's combination of athletic strength, lyrical dancing, and gentle, effective leadership as the Sugar Plum Fairy. It was encouraging to see see Lily Rogers dancing again after her injury last season. Dores Andre and Dana Genshaft are fabulous in the Spanish variation. The most frustrating aspect to this year's SFB Nutcracker is that it's almost impossible to get tickets. It's worth standing for (standing room tickets go on sale for $18.00 at 10:00 am on the day of the performance). I'm looking forward to seeing Clara Blanco's debut in the Grand PDD on Sunday night. I'm so glad she came back to us from Birmingham!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 pm 

Arts organizations depend on revenue from holiday shows
Steven Winn, Chronicle Arts and Culture Critic
SF Chronicle

Quote:
Amber Taylor stood in line with her husband for a preperformance drink on opening night of San Francisco Ballet's annual "Nutcracker" at the War Memorial Opera House and recalled dancing in the holiday classic as a kid in Marin. "I haven't been to the ballet in 15 years," she said. "My husband bought the tickets to surprise me."

"I knew it would make her smile like that," said Matt Taylor, beaming at his wife.

Nearby, Roisheen Doherty of North Beach smoothed the hair of her 4-year-old daughter, Hannah. Their outing, with another mother and daughter, was Doherty's first night at the ballet in six years.

Audience members like these are focused on the warming pleasures of nostalgia and tradition when they attend holiday shows such as "The Nutcracker" and the San Francisco Symphony's "Messiah." But for the arts organizations themselves, the holidays mean big business, and a big chunk of their annual budget is covered by the tinsel, trappings and plastic snowflakes of the seasonal fare. Some impressive numbers affirm the pattern...

For more, go here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]