public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharing the passion !
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:15 pm 

Hi everyone !

I just registred in this forum and I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Marta and I'm from Portugal. I dance since I was 4 (I'm 17 now). I've tried everything, from ballet to hip hop, from jazz to irish dance, from flamenco to cunningham, etc ...
I have had all my examinations done by the Imperial Academy of Dance up to the Intermediate level. I recently changed school and I am now taking the first steps in the Royal Academy of Dance programme... I've had lots of amazing teachers, with very different stlyles and I'm finding this new experience very different indeed !

I'd like to hear some opinions from you... I think Imperial provides a much more free dancing experience, while Royal is all about technique and everything being in the right place. I'm actually having a hard time because, after all this years, I'm being told I'm doing lots of things in the wrong way :?

So, I wonder, does Royal provide you a more complete training? Or I just had a bad experience with the Imperial method?

Hoping to hear from you,
Marta *

Last edited by MartaMacedo on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:50 pm 

Welcome to criticaldance, Marta!

We don't get much dance news from Portugal; I look forward to reading your insights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:47 am 

Welcome Marta!

I'm affraid I can't help you but hope somebody here is able to do so.

Kind regards from Spain! We are neighbour :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 am 

I'm not sure I'm familiar with what you call the Imperial method. Is that the Russian method, i.e. Vaganova technique?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:34 am 

I'm going to move this thread to The Studio, where it might get some more attention from our resident ballet mistresses.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:22 pm 

Hello, Marta, and welcome to CriticalDance. Well, my background is quite varied as I studied under many teachers from many backgrounds in the US during my childhood and professional career (Russian, Cecchetti, Bournonville, my first teacher danced with the Ballet Russes, etc.) I have never studied under one methodology like "RAD" or "Vaganova". So, I am not knowledgeable about Royal Academy of Dance or Imperial Academy of Dance syllabi. I believe they both promote English classical style. They both have exams and awards. My impression of the difference is that RAD only promotes the study of classical ballet. The "Imperial Academy of Dance" operates under the auspices of ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing). The ISTD's chief objective is "to educate the public in the art of dancing in all its forms." I notice on their website that they include many different dance styles including Tap, National, Cecchetti, etc. So, it appears to me to be more inclusive of many forms and types of dance. There are other folks on the board here that can add to (or correct :wink: ) what I have tried to research a bit in order to respond and to welcome you. I believe that you have probably had a good foundation for transferring to RAD with what you have been studying already. And, don't worry about being corrected in your new studio. It's part of taking ballet class anywhere in the world! Start to worry if you don't receive corrections! It sounds as though you really enjoy dancing, which is the most important thing. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new classes!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:13 pm 

Welcome! I trained in Vaganova/Russian until I went to college where I had a mix of ballet styles. I then learned RAD and Cecchetti. I didn't like Cecchetti at first because I put so much blood, sweat and tears into learning Russian Ballet while I was growing up that when I went to do the Cecchetti allegro I wondered why what I learned all those years felt so incorrect. Eventually, I did learn Cecchetti technique very well, and went on to do my exams. I grew to love it. It made my Vaganova arabesques stronger, leg higher too. My allegro is higher off the ground and I can do many more beats than I could with Vaganova, and I loved the port de bras and epulement (shouldering). I still think Vaganova leaps are the best though and it is more expressive than Cecchetti.

Don't forget that what you trained in is not "wrong". You are just learning a different method now. There are different techniques in ballet, none are "right" or "wrong". You can be examined in them and they are basically the same , but the way they are executed vary. I am not sure exactly what style ballet you have been training in when you say "Imperial". ISTD has "Imperial Ballet" and "Cecchetti Ballet", both techniques are maintained to high standards by the Imperial Society Teachers of Dance in the UK.
My training in Cecchetti was opposite of yours in "Imperial". It was very precise so I am assuming that you were taught "Imperial style" maybe a mix or by someone who may not teach it exactly as if you were going to take exams. Many people assume that Cecchetti techninque and Imperial are the same but they're not. Also, it is very common here in the U.S. to train in ballet that is kind of a combo. of methods. Very few teachers teach one straight method...I think they just take the best from each method. If I am teaching ballet, I use Vaganova glissades and Cecchetti Port de Bras unless they plan on taking an exam, then I would stick with one technique.
If you go into an R.A.D. or Cecchetti or Imperial Syllabus and take your exams (either in the U.K. or examiner will come to Portugal) then be prepared to learn everything in full detail.
For Cecchetti exams, it was only Cecchetti variations, not even a hint of a Russian turn to the head or it was points off. I had to speak (mostly) French accurately when I was asked a question for my exams, even for the corners of the room. Also, the examiners are very particular about ie- how many centimeters off the ground sur le cou-de-pied should be. If you are not taking the exams, it will depend on how rigorous or casual your instructor is about the technique she/he is teaching. You can't go wrong with R.A.D. either. It was originally started to supply new talent to the Royal Ballet Company, and today many of it's students still go on to dance with companies all over the world. Also the combos are so fun to dance. All the technique can be beautiful if they are taught correctly, maybe you can try another technique, and compare. Let us know what you decide. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by JeannineS on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:31 pm 

Just posting to thank everyone for their replies :) this journey in criticaldance is being very pleasent so far !
I don't have much time right now but i will answer as soon as I can, I'm sorry for the delay, hard times at school :wink: