public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 am 

with respect to the Opera House, he does have a point. I might not have said IKEA (even IKEA has colours), but it is true that the Four Seasons pales in comparison to many of the European Houses.

However, those were all built in a different time...........

m2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:14 pm 

I pretty much agree with much of what Rex said. His honesty is very refreshing-especially his comments about Toronto! Try having dinner after a play or Leaf game-FAT chance! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 pm 

yay, finally some more news about the Erik Bruhn Competition and who's coming to play:

http://www.national.ballet.ca/mediaRelease.php?20070116-1

I am very excited to hear that NBS alum and former Alberta Ballet dancer Sabrina Matthews has been commissioned to choreograph the contemporary piece for Zehr and Hirano. I got to see a two-person work in December that she set on two current NBS male students: It was knock-your-socks-off exhilarating to watch, both for the choreography and the execution. It felt like a really potent union of classical technique with lively, athletic, almost-hip-hoppish modern elements. Loved it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:39 am 

I seem to remember that Matthews has participated in the NY Choregographic Insitute at least once - might even have been in the inagural class.

As to the Erik Bruhn Competition - very interesting that the Royal Ballet pair are performing pdds from 'Romeo & Juliet' and 'Sleeping Beauty'. Which exactly counts as contemporary? Seems to me that while R&J is a 'newer' ballet - i.e. it's 20th C - that it's hardly contemporary when compared to Kylian or Rushton.

I will be interested to see how Yao Wei and Ulrik Birkkjær do....they are both very talented - I was very impressed by her Odette/Odile and he's really started to catch my eye in the last two seasons.

Does anyone know if the location of the competition every varies? It would be nice for the Royal and Royal Danish Ballet dancers to have a shot at competing without having to fly across the Atlantic. With both companies performing in the spring, I can't imagine they will be able to take much time to overcome jetlag and will probably have to fly right back again afterwords.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:13 am 

I noticed that, too, about the Royal repertoire, Kate. I don't know -- maybe they're performing one of the pieces naked? :shock:

In any event, my daughter will be at the March 3 performance, and she will be harrassed for a full report. Although, then again, if there's going to be nudity....

Oh, and I think you're correct about Matthews participating in the NYCI. I do seem to recall seeing that in her bio at that December program. I tell you, she's a real up and comer, someone to keep an eye on.

Edited to add: I just went and found that program. It didn't contain a bio, so I must be remembering the AD's introductory spoken remarks. But I will mention the name of the piece: It was called "ein von viel (one of many)", and though performed by two young men, it could easily be done by a man and woman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:25 am 

It wasn't the first session - Matthews did a piece during the spring 2002 session (others participating then were Alexei Ratmansky, Damian Woetzel and Bejamin Millepied).

Info on her piece with a picture: http://www.nycballet.com/nyci/support/s ... thews.html

Her bio is here:
http://www.nycballet.com/nyci/support/n ... wsbio.html

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:43 pm 

Bridgett Zehr is hurt and will not be able to participate in the Eric Bruhn competition. Tina Pereira will dance in her place. Anybody know what type of injury she suffered?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:28 am 

Such a shame - and only a few weeks away. We'll just have to wait and see if the company chooses to make any official statements about the injury. At least however, there's time for Ms. Pereira to rehearse with Mr. Hirano.

Since the competition involves several companies, I'm going to start a new thread in Dance Miscellany.

So, let's continue discussion of the Erik Bruhn Prize here

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:09 am 

The founder of the National Ballet of Canada, Celia Franca, is on her deathbed. I’m glad she consented to do the documentary, Celia Franca: Tour de Force, but am saddened she never decided to put pen to paper and write an auto-bio. She certainly squeezed a lot of life out of her 85 years on this planet.

Last edited by Michael Goldbarth on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:50 pm 

The official press release from NBoC on Ms. Franca's passing:

http://www.national.ballet.ca/mediaRelease.php?20070219-1

What a wonderfully rich life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:24 pm 

The Globe & Mail obviously prepared months ahead for the passing of Celia Franca with this very thoughtful and detailed story of her life. She certainly squeezed every last drop out of her time on planet Earth. I have to wonder if Miss Franca had time to sit back and fully enjoy it all given the time she devoted to ballet. At least she can lay claim to doing something she loved and how many of us can boast of that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:14 am 

Very interesting Globe and Mail article (though it's a shame the copy editors didn't ferret out the generous handful of mistakes).

My daughter, who is an NBS student, says that they have been told there will be no funeral per Ms. Franca's request. Ironically, though, her legacy will not lack for opportunities to be lauded over the next few weeks, what with a big NBS fundraiser event slated for Thursday, some in-house student performances this weekend, then the Erik Bruhn competition next weekend. One could say the lady timed her curtain call with characteristic perfection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:02 am 

While there may not be a funeral I suspect that there will be a Memorial performance or gala planned by her company in honour of their Founder.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:15 am 

Casting is up for Taming of the Shrew. I was looking forward to seeing Heather Ogden tamed as a shrew but she’s not on the list! I was also surprised not to see Sonia Rodriguez as Bianca. Also missing from the usual cast of suspects are Chan Hon Goh and Aleksandar Antonijevic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:04 pm 

I agree Michael, this is very odd that Goh and Antonijevic are not casted! I love them both...any idea why?
Sooo...2007-2008 season announced today! What do you all think? I'm looking forward to The Merry Widow as I have not seen it yet, and I love Cinderella so hopefully I can see that again...Giselle to Western Canada, wish it was in Toronto as well...looks like a promising season, there are some interesting choices...West Side Story, anyone? Am I the only one that was plesantly surprised? I want to see how that turns out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next