public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: running?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:47 am 

Hi I was just wondering if it's bad to go running if you are a dancer? I heard that it messes up your coordination and turnout and the like. Is this true? I was wondering because I would like to lose some weight and strengthen my legs and I immediately thought of going running every day but I don't want to do that if it compromises my ability at all. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:01 pm 

I don't think running isn't necessarily contra-indicated, but it's horrible for your knees. The tendonitis I gave myself via running is still causing me major problems six months later despite a cortisone shot and physical therapy.

Better to try swimming or biking (outside or in a gym).

Kate

Last edited by ksneds on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:17 am 

I would agree that swimming or biking is a better choice. When I was in high school (and a very serious ballet student), I avoided track during my physical education class at the suggestion of my ballet teachers. Perhaps a session with a personal trainer or physical therapist might give you some good ideas for strengthening exercises that are a better fit with your dance training.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:49 am 

Well, it does depend on many factors. There are people who will have problems running, sometimes because of biomechanical issues which prevent them from running so that the knees and such are not overly stressed, sometimes there are other reasons it does not work for them.

The wrong shoes or - more often - too hard a surface to run on are also bad-bad for a body which is running. I used to run more than I do now.
I ran fairly regularly throughout my ballet career; but I had good shoes and usually a soft forest-path to run on. :wink:
A gentle run - more of a jog - is one of the very best ways to warm up before class. (there was one dancer in the company who would run around the theater park a few times before every class or rehearsal. :) )

-d-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:50 am 

The traditional warm-up for gymnasts is running around the gym several times. Then, they stretch...for a long time. Gymnasts, however, are not working on all the rotation, posture, and technical finesse (port de bras, epaulment, etc.) that ballet dancers work on during their barre exercises. In fact, gymnasts study ballet to benefit from this attention to detail which enhances their floor routines. I agree that if you do run, a low impact, gentle jog or brisk walking on a soft surface sounds more safe for a dancer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:21 am 

Hi there,

I started to run in the end of my active dancing career (the last 5 years)

I started really carefully, and during a period of one year I continually increased the time and speed I was running.

It was of course not only the running, but I think the basic stamina I build up through running, and the patience that endurance sport teach you, helped me to dance better than I ever did before.

But:
-good shoes (they are expensive)
-do not start to run suddenly an hour a day, a trained dancers body is not used to this different kind of training, and will not approve
-Listen to the body!

Enjoy dance

Ingve

Profile E-mail