public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steven McRae
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:09 am 

Clement Crisp names Steven McRae of the Royal Ballet as an 'Arts Face to Watch in 2007'. Better late than never I suppose though most of us spotted this particular dancers talent some time ago. Heres the article:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4d9611f2-9a05-1 ... e2340.html

Must say I agree about McRae being ideal for the role of the barber in Mamzelle Angot, but somehow I don't think that's a ballet likely to be revived in the near future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:18 pm 

I saw Steven McRae about five years ago when he won the Lausanne Dance Competition. He had to perform a classical, a modern and a 'free choice' selection. For his 'free choice' he did a tap dance number, the only one I've ever seen at this competition. It was quite a crowd pleaser. He stood out in all his performances and was very colorful. I wish him well.

Post subject: Steven McRae to dance Romeo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 am 

The prodigiously talented Steven McRae is replacing injured Johan Kobborg in Romeo & Juliet next Tuesday (16th). That's the good news, the bad news is that there are only 6 tickets remaining in the stalls and a handful of appalling slips in the amphi available.

http://esales.roh.org.uk/tickets/produc ... x?pid=1554

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Romeo & Juliet review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:44 am 

McRae's Romeo debut is reviewed in today's times together with a cropped version of the picture in the actual paper (Times 2). It's a glowing review of the most exceptional young male dancer in the UK. I saw him dance with Cojocaru at a gala a year or so ago and they made a perfect couple, hopefully they will continue to dance together - often.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 679379.ece

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Did you say ambition?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 pm 

McRae is a good dancer, no doubt about it.

What I find disturbing nonetheless - particularly in someone so young, as he's but 20 or 21 - is the relentless and quite unguarded quality of personal ambition that emerges both from his interviews, and from what has struck me, so far at least, as an inescapably thrusting stage persona.

If I'm not mistook, it was as early as six months ago that he had begun to warn, publicly, that he would leave Covent Garden, if he didn't get what he wants, PRONTO.

One gets the feeling that the lad already sees himself as Director of Covent Garden fifteen years' hence, which, coming from someone who has barely begun to tread the boards, is, I would venture to suggest, a little premature.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:58 am 

All very true Katherine, but as I plough through the new Nureyev biography, I think it fair to say that young master McRae is but a shrinking violet compared with RN at a similar age.

Quote:
an inescapably thrusting stage persona.

Thats right, and I for one am very grateful for it because as far his RB peers go, I have problems distinguishing one from the other.

So long as he isn't putting powdered glass in his colleagues greasepaint, I don't have a problem with a spot of youthful hubris.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 am 

Well, I don't know about that.

In that age group, Ludovic Ondiviela is no fool, and neither is Zachary Faruque, despite certain technical shortcomings.

There may be a culture-clash here, Cassandra.

McRae is young and very susceptible to various sorts of influence. And the major influence in England since 1979, has been Thatcherism - ME ME ME FIRST, and sod the rest.

Remember the day that both Darcey Bussel and Belinda Hatley retired - the latter being a far better dancer, actually? Case in point.

When artistic emotion, and emotion about one's own personal career, become confused, the latter will tend, over a rather short period of time, to quell the wellspring of the former. We saw that with Nureyev, whose creativity, as a dancer, had more or less dried up by his late twenties.

This is NOT a prediction in relation to Mr. McRae's future. It's a warning.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 am 

I am very happy to report that Steven McRae has been promoted by the Royal Ballet and is now a principal. Many congratulations.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 pm 

Thanks Cassandra!! Happy to hear that... McRae continues being the most inspiring young dancer in the company, so credit where credit is due!

Post subject: Re: Steven McRae
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 am 

Where I work, reading the Financial Times is de rigueur and at weekends the paper comes with an extraordinary glossy magazine entitled ‘How to Spend It’, a publication that is clearly aimed at those with seven figure incomes and therefore usually ignored by myself and the other members of staff. This weekend however it purported to be an ‘arts issue’ so I took a look inside and found a lovely piece about Steven Mcrae in his native Australia describing how he spends his free time with his family.

Unfortunately I can’t find a link for it, only some fashion pictures with dancers from the same edition. Perhaps someone better at web searching than me could come up with the correct link? It really is a very nice article.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Steven McRae
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 am 

Here it is on http://www.howtospendit.com:

How to Spend It

Profile E-mail