public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refreshing ballet
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:23 pm 

Another insightful article by Maryellen Hunt. She brings up an old question and answers it in the Contra Costa Times.

I'd like to hear from those of you in other parts of the world about the same subject.

Quote:
MARY ELLEN HUNT: FOOT NOTES
Modern choreographers refresh art of ballet

EVERY SO OFTEN, it seems, dance critics have to stop and have the "Is ballet a dead art?" conversation.

After seeing any number of "Nutcracker" and holiday performances full to capacity, I think I can safely say the short answer is a resounding no. At this rate, ballet, even at the grass-roots level, is not going to disappear anytime soon.

Now I do admit that when you're talking about the old-fashioned story-ballets like the 114-year-old "Nutcracker," more than just the Waltz of the Snowflakes can look a little hoary. But this isn't all that ballet is about these days.

As a whole, concert dance has broken out into diverse directions, ranging from expressionist modern dance to hip-hop. Nevertheless, there are many choreographers who love to work from the central core of ballet technique.

more...

Profile E-mail