home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 - 2007 Season: General News
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:43 am 

The 2006-2007 Season Repertoire has been announced:

Highlights
* A plethora of world premieres
* Napoli and Swan Lake in December instead of Nutcracker (one wonders who or what will be taking the place of the ballet at Tivoli....)
* A full season - I haven't counted dates, but it looks to have many more performances that 2005-06

Opera House:

Ailey & Zuska
Witness - Alvin Ailey
Les bras de Mer - Petr Zuska
New ballet - Kim Brandstrup

Dance Mozart
New ballets by Jorma Elo, Louise Midjord and Par Isberg

Le Sacre du Printemps
Le Sacre du Printemps - Jorma Uotinen
New ballet - Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui

Requiem
Tim Rushton

Swan Lake
Peter Martins after Petipa, Ivanov and Balanchine

Royal Theatre:

American Mixture
New ballet - Nicolo Fonte
New ballet - Matjas Mzorewski
Dancing on the Front Porch of Heaven - Ulysses Dove

Caroline Mathilde
Flemming Flindt

The Lesson and Sylfiden
The Lesson - Flemming Flindt
Sylfiden - Bournonville

Napoli
Bournonville

Schumann's 2nd Symphony & Etudes
Schumann's 2nd Symphony - Uwe Scholz
Etudes - Harald Lander

Extravaganza
Jord - Jorma Uotinen
La Stravaganza - Angelin Preljojac
Colour of Love - Yuan Yuan Wang

The company will also be performing at the Gronnegaards Theatre during the July 2007

1963: Yesterday
Koreografi: John Neumeier
Musik: The Beatles
Kostumer: John Neumeier

Nomade
Koreografi: Tim Rushton
Musik: Pärt: Fratres
Kostumer: Tim Rushton

Polacca
Koreografi: Anna Lærkesen
Musik: Frederic Chopin
Kostumer: Jens-Jacob Worsaae

Last edited by ksneds on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 pm 

Royal Danish Ballet -- 2006-2007 Season

Ailey & Zuska
To the sound of spirituals...

Opera House - Takkelloftet
April 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 30
May 1

Witness
Choreography: Alvin Ailey
Music: Traditional spiritual (My Soul is a Witness for my Lord)
Sung by Jessye Norman
Sets: Kirsten Lund Nielsen

Les bras de Mer
Choreography: Petr Zuska
Music: Yann Tiersen
Sets and Lighting Design: Petr Zuska
Costumes: Roman Solc

New Ballet
Choreography: Kim Brandstrup

About the Program
Illuminated by the light of a candle, Alvin Ailey's Witness is danced to the sound of spirituals. The main solo was created for the Old Stage, but gets a new vitality in the close environs with the audience in Takkelloftet.

Who is the person by my side, who am I?, asks choreographer Petr Zuska in the ballet Les Bras de Mer, which had it's Danish premiere last season. Zuska zooms in on the relationship between two people...and their furniture.

The evening's third item is a whole new ballet created by Kim Brandstrup.

"It is indeed something of a drama between him and her, which unfolds." - Politiken on Les Bras de Mer

American Mixture
Two new offerings of sharp modern ballet...

Royal Theatre - Old Stage
March 17, 18, 21, 23, 28
April 17, 19, 23, 27
May 2, 3, 9

New Ballet
Choreography: Nicolo Fonte
Music: Kira and the Kindred Spirits
Lighting Design: Brad Fields

New Ballet
Choreography: Matjas Mrozewski
Sets: Morgan Large
Lighting Design: Brad Fields

Dancing on the Front Porch of Heaven
Choreography: Ulysses Dove
Music: Arvo Pärt

Conductor: Graham Bond
The Royal Orchestra

About the Program
Arvo Pärt's music can send the soul soaring, and that is exactly the impact of Ulysses Dove's moving ode for six dancers, which takes place outside heaven's gate. Dancing on the Front Porch of Heaven is on the program together with two new works of striking modern ballet by the young, forward-moving choreographers Fonte from New York and Mrozewski from Canada. The music is supplied by the Danish rock diva Kira and the Kindred Spirits.

Caroline Mathilde
A dangerous cocktail of madness and love...

February 9, 10, 13, 14, 21, 26
March 6, 8, 10, 14, 20, 22, 26

Choreography: Flemming Flindt
Music: Sir Peter Maxwell Davies
Sets: Jens-Jacob Worsaae

Conductor: Graham Bond / Henrik Vagn Christensen
The Royal Orchestra
Zealand Symphony Orchestra

About the Program
It is a dangerous cocktail of madness and love which mixes in this historical drama about the love-triangle between the ambitious personal physician Struense, the very young Queen Caroline Mathilde and her raving mad consort Christian the 7th.
The psychological and erotic play between the three main characters is depicted intelligently and titillatingly in Flemming Flindt's choreography, magnificently framed by Jens-Jakob Worsaae's roccoco sets.

Dans Mozart!
A tribute to Mozart

Opera House - Takkelloftet
November 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19

Three new Mozart ballets
Choreographers: Jorma Elo, Louise Midjord and Pär Isberg
Music: W. A. Mozart

If movements were sound, Jorma Elo would break the sound barrier with his explosive ballet. The Finnish choreographer is a mukti-talented artist, creating costumes, video and light, which makes his works remarkable 'total theatre'. Together with the Dane, Louse Midjord, and the Swede, Pär Isberg, he sends a dancing-congratulations on the 250 years anniversary of one music history's greatest figures. A sensitive tribute to Mozart with three fanciful pieces to the composers notes set to dance.

The Lesson & La Sylphide
A striking psychological thriller

September 27, 30
November 7, 9, 11, 14
February 19, 28
March 2

The Lesson
Choreography: Flemming Flindt
Music: Georges Delerue
Sets: Bernard Daydé

La Sylphide
Choreography: August Bournonville
Music: H.S. Løvenskiold
Sets: Mikael Melbye
Conductor: Peter Ernst Lassen

The Radio Orchestra

About the Program
When Flemming Flind's masterpiece The Lesson was staged in London in 2005, children were forbidden. In Copenhagen, the audience enjoys this absurd ballet about a psychopathic dance teacher whose passion for the young female students gets out of control. And the passion rages far in Bournonville's heartwrending masterpiece, La Sylphide, where James burns all his bridges to follow his romantic urges.

"...a striking psychological thriller at Old Stage..." - Berlingske Tidende on The Lesson

Ballet at the Grønnegårds Theatre
Experience the Royal Danish Ballet under the lime trees

July 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

1963: Yesterday
Choreography: John Neumeier
Music: The Beatles
Costumes: John Neumeier

Nomade
Choreography: Tim Rushton
Music: Pärt: Fratres
Costumes: Tim Rushton

Polacca
Choreography: Anna Lærkesen
Music: Frederic Chopin
Costumes: Jens-Jacob Worsaae

About the Program
Experience summer vacation together with the Royal Danish Ballet in the beautiful surroundings of the Grønnegårds Theatre's courtyard garden. A brand new collaboration with Grønnegard's Theatre provides a new possibility for experiencing the Royal Danish Ballet under the lime trees, where they dance a selection of the audience favorites from the repertoire.

The dancers who are scheduled to perform include Silja Schandorff, Gudrun Bojeson, Caroline Cavallo, Thomas Lund, Kristoffer Sakurai and Kenneth Greve.

Le Sacre du Printemps
One of the biggest scandals in the history of theatre...

Opera House, Big Stage
May 12, 13, 16, 17, 19, 23, 26, 30, 31

Le Sacre du Printemps
Choreography and sets: Jorma Uotinen
Music: Igor Stravinskij
Costumes: Erika Turunen
Lighting design: Mikki Kunttu

New Ballet
Choreography: Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui
Music: Igor Stravinskij
Sets: Rikke Juellund
Costumes: Hedi Slimane
Lighting designs: Mikki Kunttu

Conductor: Michael Schønwandt / Thomas Søndergård
The Royal Orchestra

About the Program
Primitive virgin-female ? to wild, untamed sounds was more than what the Parisian bourgeoise could handle in 1919 and the premiere of the ballet La Sacre du Printemps developed into one of theatre history's biggest scandals. We have asked the Finnish choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui to create a new interpretation of Stravinsky's intoxicating score. And so Sidi Larber Cherkaoui, one of the world's hottest, youngest choreographers, comes to Denmark to create a work for the Royal Danish Ballet. An evening with world-class music and ballet.

Napoli
The essence of Bournonville and Danish ballet

December 20, 21
January 16, 23
February 2, 6
March 27
April 13, 21

Choreography: August Bournonville, Choreography 2. act: Dinna Bjørn
Music: Niels W. Gade, Edvard Helsted, H.S. Paulli and H.C. Lumbye
Sets: Søren Frandsen and Ove Christian Pedersen
Costumes: Søren Frandsen and Kirsten Lund Nielsen
Conductor: Henrik Vagn Christensen

The Royal Orchestra

About the Program
Napoli took the breath from the international arts press at the 3rd Bournonville Festival in 2005, when the master's classic ballets were all on the stage. Napoli is the very essence of Bournonville and Danish ballet, and the third act is the Royal Danish Ballet's answer to champagne: a golden, bubbly and firework-sparkly in color, dance and joie de vivre.

"With Bournonville the world is a better place to live" - The New York Times

Reqiuem

Opera House - Big Stage
September 16, 18, 21, 22, 25, 28
October 4, 5

See the 2005-06 topic for more info...

Schumann's 2nd Symphony and Etudes
Physical feats and musical beauty

October 21, 22, 24, 26, 28, 31
November 1, 18, 22, 24

Schumann's 2nd Symphony
Choreography: Uwe Scholz
Music: Robert A. Schumann
Sets: Uwe Scholz
Lighting design: Michael Röger

Etudes
Choreography: Harald Lander
Music: Knudåge Riisager
Sets: Søren Frandsen
Costumes: Kirsten Lund Nielsen

Conductor: Graham Bond
Zealand Symphony Orchestra

About the Program
The dancers dread it. The audience loves it. Harald Lander's Etudes is one of the most demanding and respected works of dance. Together with Schumann's 2nd Symphony, the public will become greatly spoiled. An evening, where physical feats, musical beauty and classical ballet blend together and go direct to the blood.

"Etudes was the jewel, when the Royal Theatre inagurated its new opera house" -- Berlingske Tidende

Svanesøen
One of the world's most well-known ballets

Opera House, Big Stage
December 3, 4, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 22
January 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 31
February 3

Choreography: Peter Martins after Petipa, Ivanov and Balanchine
Music: Peter Tchaikovsky
Sets: Per Kirkeby
Costumes: Per Kirkeby and Kirsten Lund Nielsen
Lighting design: Jørn Melin
Conductor: Tadeusz Wojciechowski

The Royal Orchestra

About the Program
Behind this production of one of the world's most well known ballets stand two world-famous Danes. Choreographer Peter Martins and painter Per Kirkeby have closely collaborated in the creation, for their own version of Swan Lake for the Royal Danish Ballet, of a whole special universe of classical ballet and abstract painting. Don't miss this timeless drama about pure love, which is forsaken for a moment's flirting.

"A sparklingly extravagent and refrshingly simple Swan Lake" -- Politiken

Trio Extravaganza

Three modern highlights

September 1, 2, 6, 7, 12, 14
October 3, 7, 10, 13, 17, 25

Jord
Choreography: Jorma Uotinen
Music: Metallica and Apocalyptica
Sets and Lighting design: Mikki Kunttu
Costumes: Erika Turunen

La Stravaganza
Choreography: Angelin Preljocaj
Music: Antonio Vivaldi, Evelyn Ficarra,Robert Normandeau, Serge Morand
Sets: Maya Schweizer
Costumes: Hervé Pierre
Lighting design: Mark Stanley

Colour of Love
Choreography: Yuan Yuan Wang
Music: Wei Du
Sets: Jiang Han
Costumes: Jiani Zhong
Lighting design: Mikael Sylvest

About the Program

On the same evening, experience Finn Jorma Uotinen's masculine fests in Jord, Frenchman Preljocaj's dance-battle between classic and modern ballet La Stravaganza and Chinese choreographer Yuan Yuan Wang's romantic tour de force, Colour of Love.

"It is masculine, ? and beautiful to see" - Jyllands Posten about Jord[/b]

Last edited by ksneds on Mon May 08, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:49 pm 

Danceportalen (http://dansportalen.se) reports that Royal Swedish Ballet soloist Sebastian Michanek will be joining the Royal Danish Ballet as a soloist as of the 2006 -07 season.

The story (in Swedish) can be found here

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:00 pm 

Christian Hammeken, who will move up to the corps from the aspirant ranks in 2006-07 has won a silver medal at an international competition in Firenze, Italy. Hammeken, who has been an asipirant for the past two seasons, is also an accomplished figure skater.

My translation of the press release:

Quote:
Silver Medal for newly-named corps dancer

Last Sunday evening new corps dancer Christian Hammeken received a silver medal at the international ballet competition, Danza Primavera.

Over the weekend, 18 year-old Christian Hammeken danced his way to a silver medal at the international ballet competition, Danza Primavera, in Firenze. Together with dancers from places like Italy, France, Greece and Slovenia, Christian Hammeken was the only male dancer who made it to the final, where he danced in gala performance for

In all, there were four different age groups competing, and it was in the junior-category for 16-18 that the Danish corps dancer competed. Christian Hammeken danced a classical solo from “Giselle” and a modern solo, “Running Man”, created especially for the aspirants at the Royal Danish Theatre Ballet Schol by Morten Innstrand.

Artistic Director, Frank Andersen
“It makes me both proud and happy when a young dancer like Christian has gone out into the world and competed with ballet dancers from across Europe. And that he won a silver medal is fantastic. Ballet is often compared with sport, for example because both require unique physicality and a winning mentality. Christian has with his effort certainly showed that he has both traits.

Christian Hammeken has entered the Royal Danish Ballet and will begin in the coming season in August.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:27 pm 

I know that's not really about the RDB but that's still about the next ballet season so I hope you can help me. I would like book a billet for "Swan lake" by the Bolshoï Ballet. Do you from when I can book?
On the RDT website we cannot book before August but I've already had a very bad surprise last year with the Bournonville gala where the performence were sold out when I finally could reach the Theater :?
I don't want spend again 5 hours in front of the Opera to get over expensive billet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:58 pm 

Greetings!

Tickets go onsale on August 14, and this time there should be no surprises! I think last year was quite unusual in that the Gala was quite early in August and with an expectation of international visitors who needed time to make travel plans.

Normally they do not sell tickets ahead of the August date. Details on ticket sales are here: http://www.kglteater.dk/Billetter/grati ... start.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:42 am 

Thanks!

I'm looking forward this new season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:13 pm 

Sebastian Michanek is now listed on the RDB website, but as a solodansere (principal).

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm 

More updates:

Sebastien Michanek is joining as a soloist (soloister) not a principal (solodanser) as the website has been corrected.

Asger Schliktkrull has left the company - good luck to him in his future endeavours.

Charles Andersen, Christian Hammeken, Lena Marie Griber and Iain Rowe have joined the corps. Agnete Beierholm name is now gone from the aspirant's page, but I'm not sure whether she's departed or the page has not been fully updated.

There are five new aspirants from the school - Alban Carl Filip Lendorf, Amalie Adrian, Anna Kuran, Emilie Schack and Hilary Guswiler. I'm especially happy to see Alban Lendorf's name as I was impressed with his maturity and dance-acting skills when he performed with the company during "Kermessen i Bruges".

And finally, former principal dancer and instructor Martin James has left the company. Best wishes and best of luck to him!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:55 pm 

There is a new member of the corps - Sarah Dupuis.

Dupuis, I believe comes to the company from the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School/Aspirant program.

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:48 pm 

Late news...

Haley Henderson left the company after the 2005 -06 season and is now dancing with Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:42 am 

A rather belated congratulations to Canadian Sarah Dupuis!

m2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:42 am 

Not directly related to the company, but I've just read that Denmark - yes Denmark!!! - is instituting a smoking ban starting in August (2007), which will ban smoking in all public places with the exception of bars/restaurants under 40 meters square and specific, enclosed smoking rooms in large workplaces.

As much as I adore Denmark, the omnipresence of cigarette smoke has been less than thrilling so this news is very welcome. I will be very excited to return in the fall and finally be able to enjoy intermission at the Royal Theatre without the fug of cigarette smoke in the lobby and perhaps eat out without having to foot the dry cleaning bill afterwords!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:36 am 

Hi Kate,

Good news about the no-smoking rule -- California went that route quite some time ago, and people are only happier for it, overall.

I hear there is a gala performance of some sort coming up at RDB and that Viengsay Valdez of the Cuban Ballet will be performing. Do you know anything about it? Date/program?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:56 pm 

Greetings
I haven't heard about any galas. The ballet season ends in about two weeks, so perhaps it's a gala at the beginning of next season. The only big gala event I know of will be the opening of the new drama theatre in the spring of 2008.

I wonder if the news got somehow mixed up in transmission - that often happens when news gets passed word of mouth. The RDB is putting on "Don Quixote" with Alicia Alonso's staging next season and one of the Cuban ballet mistresses has been a frequent company teacher, so perhaps they are inviting some of the Cuban dancers over for "Don Quixote".

In unrelated news, I notice that the company has hired two new male corps dancers. Eliabe d'Abadia, who is 20 or 21, joins the company from Brazil. Also new is Norweigan Sigmund Hegstad, who trained in Norway and at the NBoC school in Toronto.