public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:20 pm 

Here is another summary from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/arts/dance/04comp.html?_r=1&oref=login

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:01 pm 

In the Clarion-Ledger, Sherry Lucas focuses on the male competitors:

Clarion-Ledger

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:33 am 

Having been in Jackson for this competition I must comment on a few issues.

Did any of these dancers who are with major companies need to be in Jackson? Maybe not. But certainly striving for a medal is a very worthy goal. Measuring your strengths and weaknesses against some of the best dancers can certainly be a good thing. Frankly I feel that a good competition is far better for the younger dancer in that they can win important scholarships and be recognized early on by ADs. I think the coaching aspect is wonderful too as most young dancers just don't have the opportunity to work with an experienced coach. Dancers need to perform not just take class in order to grow and often the opportunities are just not there...in competitions they are. I think the better ballet schools understand this and maintain a balance between the necessary classes and rehearsals.

I didn't see one dancer in Jackson that I thought would not be a wonderful corps members in any company. Just because they entered a competition (where you must show yourself as a Soloist) certainly doesn't say they don't have the "humility" to dance as part of a corps.

I do think that these dancers have a far simpler goal than to have steller careers in major companies. They simply want to dance and be recognized as artists. Some choose to work in large companies, some in smaller ones for various reasons and no one knows which way their careers might lead them in the end. But competitions like Jackson gives them a chance to shine and for some a life changing experience.

The Gala was truely amazing to watch and some shone more brightly than others. The standing ovation for Le Corsaire (bronze medal winner Joseph Gatti and Adiarys Almeida Santana) was worth the entire trip for us. Bravo to all the winners and all who danced! Joika

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:09 pm 

Does anyone know what dancers at the school portion of IBC were awarded scholarships? It was written that some of the top schools award summer scholarships for 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:36 am 

Here is the list of IDS scholarship winners for summer study in 2007:

Full tuition scholarship to Boston Ballet: Emily Liu of Antioch, CA

Full tuition scholarships to Joffrey Ballet: Dustin Layton of Mize, MS and Laura Wolfe of Montgomery, AL

Full tuition scholarship to the Rock School (Philadelphia): Mary Weber of Sandy, UT

Full tuition scholarship to Alabama Ballet: Audrey Hagopian of Raleigh, NC

Full tuition, room and board to Joffrey South: Elizabeth Mateer of Boca Raton, FL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: popular composers for IBC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:18 am 

Here's a question for the group: what do Astor Piazzolla and Antonio Vivaldi have in common? They were tied for most popular composers for contemporary dance works at Jackson. Francis Timlin posted such a complete list of works at Jackson that a few minutes of work was all it took to come up with the following list of composers who had multiple pieces danced to their works. Since it offers some snapshot of the state of contemporary dance, I thought I'd offer it for discussion. (Moderators, If it belongs in another corner of the board, feel free to move it....) This is what the competitors used for "contemporary choreography that reflects the highest quality of dance created by contemporary ballet or modern dance masters..." (Taken from the IBC website.)

Here are some disclaimers about methods, etc.

I just grouped the Steirle showcase program with all the round II and round III programs. Then I sorted the lines alphabetically.

The result was that composers were grouped by name. In the program, it seemed that Debussy always appeared as "Claude Debussy" and never as "Debussy," while Mozart always appeared as "Mozart," and never "W. A. Mozart," much less "Leopold Mozart." It may not be consistent, but it appeared to suffice for this list.

Bach scored half-a-piece for Adiarys Almeida Santana's and Joseph Gatti's Pas de deux: "Lambarena" Composer: Bach/Traditional African songs. It sounds like an interesting piece.

Composer: Astor Piazzolla 4
Composer: Vivaldi 4
Composer: Bizet 3
Composer: Gabriele Guma 3
Composer: Mozart 3
Composer: Bach 2.5
Composer: Camille Saint-Saëns 2
Composer: Claude Debussy 2
Composer: Marie-Joseph Canteloube 2
Composer: Philip Glass 2
Composer: Ravi Shankar 2
Composer: Ryuichi Sakamoto 2
Composer: Sergey Efanov 2
Composer: Yann Tiersen 2
Composers: Peter Ludwig and Anja Lecher 2

Admitting this is a snapshot, what does this list say about contemporary dance?

Here are some observations to get things started:

Considering the thousands of people who have taken quill to staves, (and its modern equivalents) there's a sense of surprise that so many composers are chosen multiple times: random statistics would have predicted otherwise.

A lot of contemporary dance is made to music that is far-from-contemporary.

Composers who contributed the "biggest hits" in the classical ballet canon are unlikely to be heard in contemporary dance. I'm not surprised that Adolphe Adam doesn't appear on this list, but I did note that Tchaikovsky's numerous overtures, symphonies, etc didn't seem danceable.

Bach and Vivaldi pull the entire weight for the Baroque era: Handel, Telemann, Corelli scored at most a singleton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:16 pm 

An interview with competitor and finalist Lauren Strongin from Charlie Huisking in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune:

Herald-Tribune

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:51 pm 

Quote:
Here is the list of IDS scholarship winners for summer study in 2007:

Full tuition scholarship to Boston Ballet: Emily Liu of Antioch, CA

Emily is a member of the Diablo Ballet Apprentice Program. Everyone at Diablo Ballet is very proud of her.

D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:44 am 

Wow!! What an accomplishment!

Last edited by T-bone on Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: press release from Boston Ballet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:53 pm 

on Misa Kuranaga:

http://www.bostonballet.org/about/news/ ... px?cid=399

It'll be interesting to see whether Nissinen will promote her or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:07 pm 

FYI, KCSM seems to be broadcasting an hourlong special on the Jackson competition under the title: "Dancers" A couple of friends told me that it's been running this past week.

Here is the website, although there's not much info there:http://www.kcsm.org

(Click on TV Schedules and then search for "dancers")
Unfortunately the next two broadcast times are ...inconvenient....Thursday Sept 7 at 4 am (Yikes) and Sunday Sept 10 at midnight. (Yikes) Set your VCR or TIVO or dvdr, or whatever... :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 pm 

Thanks for the tip mehunt, I have the Tivo set.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 am 

Mississippi Public Broadcasting is showing a one hour documentary, "Thalia's Legacy: The International Ballet Competition" from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving evening. Here is a link to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger announcement:

Clarion-Ledger

I sent an inquiry to the Seattle PBS station, KCTS, regarding whether they planned to broadcast the program in the near future. The response to the "near future" question was negative; however, I was told that my expression of interest would be passed along to the programming department, "which relies on viewer input for future programming decisions."

If you are interested in seeing this program on your local PBS affiliate, please write to them and encourage them to broadcast the IBC program. For those in the KCTS service area (Washington and British Columbia), the e-mail address is <ServV@kcts.org>.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8