public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pacific Northwest Ballet Nutcracker 2006
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 am 

Casting is now available for the first weekend of Nutcracker performances. As (adult) Clara and the Prince, the opening night (Friday, November 24) goes to Louise Nadeau and Olivier Wevers; Kaori Nakamura and Jonathan Porretta alternate with Noelani Pantastico and Jeffrey Stanton for the remaining four performances of the weekend. Here is a link to the casting page on PNB's website:

PNB Nutcracker Casting

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:50 pm 

Francis, I see that this Stowell/Sendak production dates back to 1983. How is it holding up?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:15 pm 

The production has been completely refurbished once and individual costumes and set elements may have been refurbished on a more frequent basis. There are also two complete renderings of the set -- one designed for the McCaw Hall stage and a more compact version designed for touring that was used during the holiday season during which the Opera House/McCaw Hall was under reconstruction and Nutcracker season was held in the more limited stage confines of the Paramount Theatre.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:27 pm 

A Preview article by R.M Campbell of the Seattle P-I.

Seattle P-I

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:51 am 

Thanks, guys, those two sources provide me with some ideas about the production. Here are some images from the PNB site:

http://www.pnb.org/season/nutcracker/nc_story.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:46 am 

In the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, R. M. Campbell reviews the Friday, November 24, 2006 opening night performance of Nutcracker:

Seattle P-I

Carole Beers reviews opening night in the King County Journal:

King County journal

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:09 am 

Mary Murfin Bayley reviews the opening night performance in the Seattle Times:

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:44 pm 

Full Service
Pacific Northwest Ballet “Nutcracker”
Opening Night, Friday 24 November 2006
Seattle, Washington

by Dean Speer

Ever alert to overhearing and eavesdropping on comments and conversations made by unsuspecting audience members, I often use this scientific method of in-depth research to conduct my own private surveys. Such was the case for PNB’s Opening Night of their justly-famous and long-running hit, the Kent Stowell and Maurice Sendack collaboration, “Nutcracker.”

The verdict that I liked was “...full-service!” – and I found I had to agree. This production really has and gives us everything: glorious and uplifting music; dramatic tension; imaginative and fresh choreography; lavish sets and costumes; perfect lighting; not to mention great dancing and dance-acting by its platoon of multiple casts.

Now, in its 24th year, this PNB holiday offering continues to delight audiences of all ages and continues to astonish repeat goers. Opening night audiences certainly got an “A” cast with Louise Nadeau as the adult Clara and Olivier Wevers as her dashing prince. Nadeau was “... in the moment” particularly during the Snow Pas de Deux. Both were elegant and strong for their respective variations and, later, for the Grand Pas de Deux near the conclusion of Act II. Nadeau has mastered such nuances as looking away from her foot and leg in order to make us look at them. Every step and movement sang. Wevers was dashing and attacked his solo bits with neat phrasing. I liked how he mindfully presented his partner – for example, how he gestured his right arm from across left to up right as Nadeau began her series of rapid chainé and soutenu turns in his direction.

Carrie Imler as the lead bloom in ‘Waltz of the Flowers’ was in fine form – double fouettés turns, a triple attitude turn. Nice attack throughout. You’ve probably guessed by now, that I delight in seeing Ariana Lallone and her rendition of ‘Peacock’ certainly met my expectation. This is never a part to impart fragility and so her verve and mighty phrasing served well. Lallone’s arabesque turns and piqué arabesque pirouettes in forced-arch relevé were exciting. She deserved the cheering she got during curtain call. Charming during the fast-paced ‘Commedia’ were the trio of Maria Chapman; Mara Vinson; and Benjamin Griffiths; it really is a showcase for all three. Uko Gorter’s characterization of Herr Drosselmeier had bits of light humor in it that others have not necessarily emphasized but which I enjoyed. Other outstanding soloists were Jodie Thomas as the Ballerina Doll and Kiyon Gaines as the Sword-Dancer Doll. The Masque that’s unique to this production (where a trio reenacts young Clara’s nightmare about being bitten by the rat king and turning suddenly into a old maid) features clean, classical steps and patterns by Stowell and each of these were nicely etched by Lesley Rausch, Anton Pankevitch, and Lucien Postlewaite. Postlewaite has a very long, elegant line and true turnout and a ‘real’ arabesque which is great to see on a male dancer.

The corps and cast were clearly well-rehearsed and looked tight and were an ensemble down to the tiniest detail. Speaking of tiny, I have to indulge myself and mention that the “Little Girl” of the Act I’ Party Scene was played by the granddaughter of a couple that I know. Lucie Lundquist represents that next generation of potential future dancers and of adoring audiences who will grow up with and learn to appreciate their own Nutcracker traditions.

The PNB Orchestra was energetic and ready for its role of supporting and inspiring – both what was onstage and in the house. Conductor Stewart Kershaw has led hundreds of shows and his musical taste, keen and watchful eye on the dancers and score, plus his experience allow us to fully enjoy this “full-service” Nutcracker indeed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:06 pm 

A curious letter to the editor about the production that appeared in the Saturday, December 2 edition of the Seattle Times. (Scroll down to the subheading, "Dance to the Classics.")

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]