It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dutch National Ballet in London 2006
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:21 am 

Quote:
Dutch National Ballet, Sadler’s Wells, London
by CLEMENT CRISP for the Financial Times
published: November 9, 2006

But there can be only the most chauvinistic excuses for showing us Rudi van Dantzig’s realisation of Richard Strauss’s Four Last Songs, an exercise soggy with weltschmerz, redeemed only by the presence of Larissa Lezhnina, whom I recall as a wonderful young star of the Kirov Ballet.
more...

Quote:
Dutch National Ballet
by JUDITH MACKRELL for the Guardian
published: November 10, 2006

Dutch National Ballet return to London after an absence of five years and with a company of dancers who are still some of the most interesting on the ballet stage. In two of the four works they perform, however, they are fighting a losing battle with their music.
more...

Quote:
Dutch romance falls flat
by ISMENE BROWN for the Daily Telegraph
published: November 11, 2006

The Dutch company has a long-standing reputation for killer technical clarity and forward mentality, but it does not look up to snuff in this programme. The evening is recommendable for its music-making by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, and for two of the four ballets, the ones by Hans van Manen and William Forsythe; but these are underperformed, and the mediocrity of the other two looks like a factor in the rot.
more...

Last edited by kurinuku on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:12 am 

Clement Crisp wrote:

Quote:
I like the Netherlands enormously, from paintings to the efficiency that informs public services. But Dutch dance defeats me.

Nonetheless, many of us do enjoy Dutch dance and there is no shortage of takers, both theatres and audiences, for for the tours of the various NDT companies.

I'm sorry that because of CD duties in Lublin I will miss this season of Dutch National Ballet, especially as I have enjoyed their previous visits so much. I salute them for bringing new work, rather than yet another outing of "these you have loved". For those interested in current dance trends, Ms Mackrell's review is likely to prove the more useful guide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:49 am 

Quote:
I salute them for bringing new work, rather than yet another outing of "these you have loved".

Me too Stuart, both critics were a bit harsh on the Van Dantzig ballet, it did start a bit slowly but developed into quite a rewarding work with some excellent dancing all round and I loved the Frank Bridge Variations by Hans van Manen, he's one of the finest choreographers in Europe and I never miss the chance of seeing one of his works.

If this had been a concert, the idea of seeing Strauss's Four Last Songs, Britten's Variations on a Theme by Frank Bridge together with a Bach cello suite all on the same programme would have had me salivating. I would like to have singled out both the conductor and the excellent soprano for praise but to my surprise the cast sheet listed neither. If anyone could give me the names of those two artists I'd be very grateful.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 am 

Quote:
Dutch National Ballet, Sadler's Wells, London
Yippeee!!, Sadler's Wells, London
Dance Umbrella, Sadler's Wells, London

by JENNY GILBERT for the Independent
published: November 12, 2006

Hans Van Manen, now 73 and still prolific, is the company's real crown jewel, and his 2005 Frank Bridge Variations, set to the darkly exuberant Britten score, formed the backbone of the programme, showing dancer after splendid dancer's strength and form.
more...

Profile E-mail