public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Costume for audition as Fantine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:38 pm 

Hi!
I wasn't quite sure whether this should be posted here or in "Backstage"/"Students' Questions and Experiences", but thought I'd just try here. The thing is, in a few weeks I'll be doing an audition with "I dreamed a dream" (from Les Mis, but I guss you already knew that...). Our teachers told us we should "dress for the occasion", but I feel really uncertain about what to wear. Should I do plain black, to make it as clean and neutral as possible? Or more of a long skirt, kind of old-fashioned? And my hair is kind of a problem, as it's shoulder length and very dark brown. Should I pull it away from my face, or curl it? Now, I know that originally Fantine has long (or short, depending on where in the story we are), blonde hair, but as this is a school production with a newly started musical class, I'm not much worried about that. I guess the major question is: should I try to go for a "costumed, true-to-the-costumes-from-the-original-show"-look, or just try to look my best, without clothes that will distract the people judging me?
I would greatly appreciate your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:51 pm 

Hi Airam - I do understand your reasoning for including this question here, but I think you will have a better chance of a response in "Students' Questions etc", so I'll move it there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:12 am 

Hi, Airam...I'm no expert in musical theater, but perhaps keeping it simple might be best? I wouldn't go for the "costumed, true to the costumes from the original show" look...just something simple that might give the illusion of this (like the simple long skirt, etc.). Fixing your hair and face is very important, though...some simple make-up and keeping your hair off your face. You can ask your teachers for their advice, too. :) Good luck with your audition!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:36 am 

I agree with Gina, keep it simple. I think your teacher probably means by dressing for the occassion to dress appropriately. You would be amazed at the type of things people can turn up to auditions in!

Make sure you are comfortable, can move easily and that you are not going to get too hot or cold - a cardigan is always a good thing to wear to auditions, I know when I am nervous I get quite shivery so I always took a layer to keep me warm. I remember when I auditioned for Fiddler on the Roof I took a wrap/shawl type thing to keep me warm and it was also very in keeping for the part I was auditioning for, this might be appropriate for you too.

Hair - I would say make sure it doesn't cover your face or annoy you. The audition panel will want to see emotion and facial expression and they can't if your hair keeps falling in your face. Also when we are nervous we tend to play with our hair so style it so that you won't be tempted to do that. Make sure it is also a style that you are comfortable with.

But do check with your teacher that this is what they mean as this is only our interpretation.

Break a leg!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:13 am 

You're probably right in the "keep it simple"-idea, guess it's just me who'll seize any opportunity to dress up :wink: The shawl-thing was a very good tip, by the way, I'll definately go for that one! Thanks a lot!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]