home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:49 am 

Quote:
'Wicked' stew thick with plot lines, jingoism
by HEDY WEISS for the Chicago Sun-Times

Then, after dropping in a nice helping of Harry Potter powder, move on to Gregory Maguire's novel - the major inspiration for the show - which conjured life in Oz long before Dorothy and her little dog ever landed there courtesy of a tornado ride from Kansas. Only now is it time to let Winnie Holzman craft the book for this hugely overstuffed show -- a scenario with more plot lines than any single musical can reasonably sustain.

published: May 6, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:11 am 

Quote:
Gasteyer flies in as Elphaba in 'Wicked'
by MISHA DAVENPORT for the Chicago Sun-Times

The "Saturday Night Live" alumna didn't think twice about taking the part that won a Tony for Idina Menzel on Broadway. "The music is so utterly cathartic," she said, "you can't help but bring something of yourself to the role."

Gasteyer is the latest actress to play the green-skinned heroine in the musical retelling that shifts the focus away from Dorothy and puts it squarely on a friendship and ultimate rivalry that develops between the witches of Oz.

published: July 13, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:29 am 

Quote:
A great and powerful Oz
by MISHA DAVENPORT for the Chicago Sun-Times

The "Wicked" at the Ford Center/Oriental Theatre offers up a cauldron of powerful mojo thanks to its two leading ladies, "Saturday Night Live" alumna Ana Gasteyer and Broadway up-and-comer Kate Reinders. The two share a chemistry that was missing from the recent touring production.

published: July 15, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:00 pm 

SF Bay Area native in wicked. From the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
Flying high as a winged monkey in 'Wicked,' Pacifica dancer Peter Chursin is making his dreams come true, one audition at a time
David Wiegand, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Pacifica's Peter Chursin has been dancing his way across the country over the past couple of years, but now that he's finally back onstage in the Bay Area, his friends in the audience won't necessarily see his face: For a good part of his time onstage in the national tour of "Wicked," Peter Chursin wears a monkey's mask.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:10 pm 

And a review from the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
'Wicked' returns, now even better

By Pat Craig

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Well, golly, Ma. "Wicked's" come back from the big city, all growed up and slicker than a flying monkey at a Munchkin dance.

OK, it's not all that surprising that this blockbuster Broadway musical has sailed back to its home port as solid as a battleship. What is surprising is just how good the show has become. It was a fine musical when it had its tryout and premiere in San Francisco in June 2003, but when it left town, it still needed some work -- trimming and shaping mostly -- something not unusual for such a big new show.

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:55 am 

Quote:
Broadway hit casts its spell over here
by MATT WOLF for the Daily Telegraph

Yet back in 2004, Wicked lost out on the Tony Award for best musical to the comparatively tiny Avenue Q, which opened in London this summer.

So why has Wicked resonated more strongly with audiences than critics? One could cite the sheer drive of its score, packed with anthemic crowd-pleasers, by Godspell composer Stephen Schwartz. Or the bravura star turn of the Tony-winning Menzel, performing here until December 30 and lending the production the kind of Broadway panache that Nathan Lane brought to The Producers two years ago.

published: September 20, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 am 

I saw 'Wicked' this summer here in the O.C. and loved it. The storyline was so original IMO and the cast was terrific. Also I found that the set design and lighting was extremely good for a touring production. What I found interesting is that there were no 'memorable songs' that you might hum out the door. The text and lyrics were good but there just wasn't a song that you took with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:53 am 

Quote:
First Night: Wicked, Apollo Victoria, London
Overblown and over here: Broadway hit fails to cast spell
by PAUL TAYLOR for the Independent
published: September 28, 2006

It was hard to tell from last night's first night how well it would go down here. The audience was so papered with connected people that everything was greeted with uniform ecstasy. Green-faced and in hideously clashing student clothes, Idina Menzel had merely to walk on stage, as Elphaba, the future Wicked Witch, and the roof came off.
more...

Quote:
Wicked
by BENEDICT NIGHTINGALE for the Times
published: September 28, 2006

But then Stephen Schwartz and Winnie Holzman’s show seems aimed less at grouchy warlocks like me than at youngsters with a taste for the upbeat. That is why much of the first half resembles an American high-school flick in which teenage girls spend their days wrangling, making up and ogling the captain of the basketball team.
more...

Last edited by kurinuku on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:22 am 

Quote:
Wicked, Victoria Palace Theatre, London
by ALASTAIR MACAULAY for the Financial Times
published: October 2, 2006

It’s fun, but forgettable. The show is best when nobody’s singing: I guffawed when Glinda tries in vain to use her magic wand and finally says in exasperation “Is this on?”; and for much of the show the most delicious (and most grotesque) performance is by Miriam Margolyes in a role with no singing.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:59 pm 

I saw Wicked in Chicago at the weekend at the beautiful Ford Center. I enjoyed the show, but I don't think it's worth all the hype i'd heard about it. The music is INSTANTLY forgettable, and i'm still in two minds about the ending, as in whether they should have done what they did or not (those who have seen the show will know what I mean), but it made me laugh, I thought the way the story linked in to the original Wizard of Oz story in the 2nd act was very clever, and the show as a whole was certainly spectacular, especially the finale of the first act.

Very good indeed, just not exceptional

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 am 

Quote:
Wicked! Theatreland is alive to the sound of ringing tills
by LOUISE JURY for the Independent
published: January 30, 2007

But a cult-life reverence for the American import Wicked and a nostalgia fest over the stage version of Dirty Dancing - which took a record £6m before opening - helped transform the West End in the second half of last year.
more...

Profile E-mail