public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ballroom dancing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:23 am 

Quote:
Electric ballroom

by JONATHAN BROWN
the Daily Telegraph

However, for the 40 or so young people who gather tonight on the top floor of the Semley Social Club, this is the centre of the dance world. They are here to practise, ahead of this month's International Open Championships due to be held at the Royal Albert Hall.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:48 am 

Ballroom dance festival for Shenzhen
From Shenzhen Daily

The first China International Ballroom Dance Festival will be held at the Shenzhen Stadium from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1.

Sponsored by the China Ballroom Dancing Federation, the festival will feature the national ballroom dancing championships, social dancing championships, tap dancing championships and six city teams match.

A number of top Chinese ballroom dancers such as Wen Liangfu and Sun Rong, Cheng Bin and Qu Lajia and others will show their skills during the festival.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:13 am 

Seaside Swing
by Stephen Albrow for Dance Today!

Ballroom dancers have always had a tendency to gravitate towards coastal resorts. Places such as Blackpool, Brighton, Scarborough, Torquay and Bournemouth have always been very popular, but over on the Norfolk and Suffolk coast things have traditionally been a lot quieter. Now, though, that could be all set to change, thanks to the brand new Atlantis Arena development on Great Yarmouth seafront.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:05 am 

:D
Quote:
Up close with the ballroom's arch seducer

by ELIZABETH GRICE
the Daily telegraph

These barriers must be overcome. He won't even start guiding me across the studio dance floor until we are chest-to-chest and I have stopped behaving like a middle-aged woman in fear of losing her virtue.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:49 pm 

Quote:
Ballroom blitz

By Melanie Furlong – Special to The Daily News, Halifax

Movies are driving youngsters to the ballroom. <a href=http://www.hfxnews.com/news.aspx?storyID=27923 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:00 am 

Quote:
Ballroom dancing competition glides into town

by LAUREN KLEIN
special correspondent for the Stamford Advocate

"It's very different from ballet," said Morsilli, wearing a short, white, flapper dress and gold heals. "This industry is so alive, it's very competitive which adds excitement."
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:20 am 

The headline for this article suggests the "return" of ballroom dancing but I wasn't aware it ever left:

Quote:
Ballroom Dancing returns

Ben Fong-Torres
SF Chrincle

At Bimbo's in North Beach, it's helped bring San Francisco's grand old party room back to life. <a href=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/17/PKG27BC4A51.DTL target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:58 am 

The Peter Meter: Ballroom dancing has me in a twirl

AS one of the judges on the BBC show Dragons’ Den, I receive many letters from would-be entrepreneurs pitching their ideas. This week’s pitch is from David Robinson of Vertical Expression.

THE PITCH

David and his partner, Caron Rose, are keen ballroom dancers. Since the success of the BBC series Strictly Come Dancing, ballroom dancing has captured the public’s imagination. David’s idea is to operate three-day ballroom-dancing events round the country.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:44 am 

On the Dance Floor -- and Beyond It -- Time to Step Up
By Laura Oliver
Special to The Washington Post
Monday, June 13, 2005; Page C10

Quote:
It's already 7 p.m. and we are late because Margaret is always late and she's driving. Now she is flying down the road as if we're competitors in "The Amazing Race" -- while groping around behind her in the back seat to find her purse.

"Here," she says, dropping it in my lap, "write the check for me." And with that, she slams on the brakes. We come to an abrupt stop so close to the car in front of us that I can read the fine print on its bumper sticker: "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?"

more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:14 pm 

Quote:
Little Cheek to Cheek, but Lots of Vegas Flash
By JOHN ROCKWELL for The New York Times

Ballroom dancing in its pure form, as enjoyable social dance between two people, is still practiced in the school classes and, maybe, at health clubs.

published:June 15, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:52 am 

Keeping the Tradition

After Gillian MacKenzie’s retirement last year, her assistant Sandra Wilson has followed in her footsteps as Dance Festival Organiser. This year’s Blackpool Dance Festival was her first being in charge and responsible for the smooth running of things, and has been a complete success. Despite her busy schedule she took time to speak to Sylvia Boerner for Dancing Times, during this year’s festival.

How did you start working in this job?
“I am originally from Scotland, but I have lived in Blackpool since aged 15. I used to come with my parents for the illuminations.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:11 pm 

An article about the welcome resurgence of ballroom dancing:

Quote:
Dancing isn't just for stars
Lynne Heffley, LA Times

After decades of a low-profile existence, ballroom dancing is attracting adults, and kids even younger than Brandon, into a transformative world of ladies and gentlemen, a place of rhythmic, formalized social exchange with its own rules of etiquette.

more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:19 am 

Quote:
Upcoming
Empire State Dance Sport Championships

by ELIZABETH ZIMMER for the Village Voice

Ballroom dancing is having a cultural moment, with the runaway success of Mad Hot Ballroom and two prime-time series. Could touch dancing be making a cross-cultural comeback?

published: August 9, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:26 am 

Quote:
Strictly ballroom steps up to rival the Boat Race
by LIZ LIGHTFOOT for the Daily Telegraph

A record 2,000 students joined the society for ballroom and Latin dance last year and 27 universities competed in the inter-varsity dance association's national championships. Oxford and Cambridge, two of the leading teams, compete head-on in a blues varsity match each May which is taking on the intensity of the boat race.

published: September 26, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Kate Worms
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:24 pm 

Does anybody have the email address of Kate Worms? And is this Kate Worms who used to work for American Express some years ago?
Thanks for your help,
Huib Boreel

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next