public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bravo or Brava?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:07 pm 

All these years I’ve been shouting ‘Bravo!’ for both ballerina and ballerino. According to the NBoC’s website ‘Bravo!’ is for males and ‘Brava!’ for females. ‘Bravo!’ sounds better with the ‘o’ and I think it would carry farther sound wise. To tell you the truth I’ve never heard a ‘Brava!’ Can anyone elaborate on this very important topic?

Quote:
Show Your Appreciation
Applauding is an excellent way to show appreciation. Feel free to laugh when something funny happens on stage. If the performance is especially powerful, during curtain call when dancers and conductors take their bows, shouts of “Bravo” (for men) and “Brava” (for women) and/or a standing ovation is an excellent way to show performers the audience is especially impressed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:17 am 

Bravo is an Italian word meaning (literally) brave or (figuratively) well-done.

Now in Italian, generally speaking, masculine words finish with 'o' ('i' for plural) and feminine words finish with 'a' ('e' for plural), though there are exceptions.

Bravo is not an exception. Therefore, for a male dancer (ballerinO) you would holler 'bravO', and for a female dancer (ballerinA) one would yell, 'bravA'. For a group of male or mixed dancers you would use 'bravi' and for a group of female dancers you would use 'brave' (pronouncing the 'e' like in 'bed').

Hope that cleared it up for you!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:14 am 

Thank you so much! I need to brush up on my Italian! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 am 

Thanks for explaining the Italian words, Failli, but I have to say that whereas "bravo" is a generally used term in English, "brava", "bravi" and "brava" are not. Thus, as I have no Italian connections, I will stick to the English usage and continue to shout "bravo" to all and sundry.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:40 am 

Where do the Italians get off telling us how to cheer for ballet? I thought fussball was their only domain! BRAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]