public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jewels on PBS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:19 am 

All 3 Jewels can finally be seen on TV for free this Monday at 10 p.m. on PBS! You’ll have to check your TV Guide if it will be available in your area. I’m quoting the Toronto broadcast. I discovered this gem in the Globe & Mail this morning.

Quote:
Each movement reflects the colour of the precious gem of its title -- the sensuous, romantic Emeralds, the flirtatious, jazzy Rubies, and the classically inspired Diamonds. The world's oldest national ballet company, the Paris Opera Ballet, which had a long relationship with Balanchine, performs it here.

You can read my review of the Paris Opera Ballet DVD on Amazon. A more detailed review of the NBoC performing Jewels can be read via [url=http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25166&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75]CD (scroll down a little).
[/url]

Quote:
Of all the glittering jewels gracing the stage for Thursday’s afternoon delight one sparkled more than any emerald, ruby, or even diamond could ever hope to sparkle. Call me another (happy) victim of ballerina magnetism but this precious gem boasts the glowing face and beaming body of which National Ballet of Canada dreams are made on! Mere prose cannot do justice to the delicious images she created on stage. This is one ballerina who knows how to shine and isn’t afraid to face the music and dance: Every step was imbued with spontaneity; every moment on stage was danced as if it was her last; every eye in the house was glued to her as the come-hither ruby in Jewels. She danced en pointe as if Sir Isaac Newton’s silly theories of gravity applied to her-NOT!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:03 pm 

Sorry but I just can’t help myself. Why is it the CBC isn’t broadcasting some NBoC?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:50 am 

Matthew Gurewitsch writes in detail about the costume design for the upcoming PBS broadcast of Paris Opera Ballet’s Jewels. This is a MUST see!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:33 pm 

It reminded me that there was this online exhibit of NYCB costumeswith some lovely closeups of the Jewels costumes among many others on the NYCB Site.

Profile E-mail