public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:25 pm 

Lynch? No. Tar and feather perhaps...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:13 pm 

Books I have read this summer are:
1. Immigration written by Howard Fast in English and translated by Chang, Chi (PhD in Comparative Lit. and professor in one unknown university in China.) I borrowed this book in Orange County Public Library, University Park in Irvine. I read the translated version. It’s about an Italian American and his mistress, a Chinese librarian’s life.
2. Dream of the Red Mansion/Chamber (the original version in Chinese): I believe it’s about a family’s story in Late Ching Dynasty. It’s kind of difficult for me. I’m only on Chapter 4. The novel is so lengthy. I heard this is the first novel in late Ching Dynasty. I am thinking to borrow an English version at school. I borrowed this at UCI Langson Library, East Asian Studies section (1st FL).
3. On Criticism and Analysis of A Contemporary Poet’s Poems. This book is written in Chinese. I translate the title. The 20th century contemporary poet, Hsu Chih-mo, born in China and studied in U.S.A. and in U.K. He was born in a wealthy business family so he travels widely with his wife and later second wife. This book discusses that Hsu Chi-mo’s poetry was actually influenced by western literalist such as Lawrence. (Borrowed at UCI Langson Library, East Asian Studies section (1st FL).
4. Hsu Chih-mo Chuan Chi: Selection of a poet, Hsu Chih-mo’s writings, including prose, poems, love letters to his second wife, his diary and his second wife’s dairy(two of them wrote on this part together before the author dies.) The portion I like most is the selected poems written by the author. One poem I like most is “I don’t know the wind where it’s going.” I am going to translate this poem below since it’s written in Chinese:

I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going---
In my dream,
And in my rambling dream.

I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going—
In my dream,
I dream her tender and my indulgence.

I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going—
In my dream,
My sweet dream shines through.

I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going—
In my dream,
I dream my sorrow and her disobedience.

I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going—
In my dream,
And in a heart-broken dream.

I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going—
In my dream,
My sadness turns into none.
--Translated by C.W.W. (Chiwawa)

If you’re interested in editing my poem, please do! I don’t know if one word underlined on the fourth line of the first stanza best illustrates the poet’s meaning and I wasn’t sure if I can use “rambling” to describe the dream. Basically, the poet’s meaning is that he is dreaming. If anyone here can find a better word to replace “rambling”, please reply as well. You’ll also welcome to report your comment about this poem.
Thank you for the recommendation of the Japanese book. If the library has it, I would definitely borrow it and look at it. Well, I might have read it before since the author is so well-known. Now, I also have a poetry book, Shi Ching, aside. I borrowed it at UCI, East Asian Studies section. Books in the library are the best because they are well selected by librarians.
I used to read a book about how Yahoo makes western chess by using C++ programming. I was so into it. I didn’t sleep and finished the whole book. There are a lot of repetition in the programming because computer is a machine. Human beings create an easy language to communicate with the machine such as command, function…. However, you just can’t make any mistake on the “punctuation”; otherwise, the computer won’t be able to recognize it. And, the whole project you create would fell.
I actually also read Calculus and Analytic Geometry written by Mizrahi/Sullivan, The Waite Group’s Turbo C Programming for the PC written by Robert Lafore (This one may be outdated ), GMAT 800 published by Kaplan Inc. (only read verbal portion), Baron’s GED (I only read the essays portion), McDougal, Littell Literature (Blue Level)(High School students’ text).
Two books highly recommend: Bound Feet &Western Dress: A Memoir by Pang-Mei Natasha Chang (It’s about 20th century Chinese poet, Hsu Chih-mo, and his first wife’s, Chang Yi-I, story.)
Link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/002 ... tern+dress
Cajas de Carton by Francisco Jimenez (It’s about a new immigrant’s story.)
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061822 ... 17?ie=UTF8

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:52 pm 

chiwawa wrote:
I don’t know the wind,
Where it’s going---
In my dream,
And in my rambling dream.

If you’re interested in editing my poem, please do! I don’t know if one word underlined on the fourth line of the first stanza best illustrates the poet’s meaning and I wasn’t sure if I can use “rambling” to describe the dream.

chiwawa, I don't know whether "rambling" is the best translation from Chinese, since I haven't read the poem in the original (and it wouldn't help if I had, since I don't speak Chinese!), but I can tell you that it is certainly an excellent word to describe a dream.

If you want to get some feedback on your translation, you might try http://www.langcafe.net/ -- there are some members who have posted there who are fluent in both Chinese and English and perhaps one of them has read the poem in the original.

And welcome to criticaldance.com, by the way!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:04 pm 

Djb,
Great! Thanks for the link!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:37 pm 

Jeff asked: Could dance company artistic directors learn something useful about what factors drive audiences to spend money?

Chiwawa’s response: Most dance company artistic directors know audiences’ appetite in order to make money. The reason audiences spend money to see the show is because the plot of the show is too good to be true. A lot of time, we won’t experience in the real life.

Jeff’s opinion: Or, if they honestly believe they're making the world better, the whole thing could be seen as a comedy.

Chiwawa’s response: agree.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7