public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: how to improve my pirouette???
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 am 

i m grade 7 d..
but my piroutte soo bad..
how can i improve it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:16 pm 

I am moving this to our student's form where it is appropriate and will receive the proper attention.

As a reminder, please read the instructions above the forum about what topics are appropriate for dance issues. Posting in the proper forum will help your questions, thoughts & discussions be answered/discussed promptly!

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:16 pm 

Hello, angellew9999, and welcome to CriticalDance! Would you please tell us what type of pirouette? En dehors or en dedans? From fifth or from fourth position? What is the finish? I and others who see your post may not know exactly what you are working on at your level. So, if you could be more specific, perhaps you might get some good advice. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:59 am 

Gina Ness wrote:
Hello, angellew9999, and welcome to CriticalDance! Would you please tell us what type of pirouette? En dehors or en dedans? From fifth or from fourth position? What is the finish? I and others who see your post may not know exactly what you are working on at your level. So, if you could be more specific, perhaps you might get some good advice. :)

oh, both en dehors and en dedans are not good...
start from 4th n end in 5th.
thx for ur help~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:57 pm 

It's difficult without seeing you to tell you specifically what might help you, but here is some very general advice for pirouettes: Relax your neck; focus your eyes at the horizon over the bridge of your nose; give more emphasis to the final spot (if doing a double...spot, spot); don't sit in your plie before your turn; mount your pirouette position with arms and legs coordinated to arrive all together; have a good pirouette position, pulled up tall on the supporting hip with straight supporting leg and good use of turnout of working leg; all the way up on your 3/4 pointe or pointe position of your foot; feel your back coming around in the turn; make sure your arms are symmetrical and held in a good first postion; think of finishing your turn up...not finishing down, crashing too quickly to your fifth; and my last advice...after all of this, don't over-think it all the time! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:25 pm 

I think that last thing that Gina Ness posted is very important-not to think about it too much. I remember when I was first doing pirouettes, I was so scared to do doubles. I already had my singles with descent technique. She used to put on nice music and make me do doubles from fourth over and over again without thinking it. She kept saying 'just go for it'. And guess what? I went for it, and I made it, and I was no longer scared of doubles. Sometimes you just have to say 'just do it'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:14 pm 

Improving your placement will always help improve your pirouettes. Work on finishing the releve (without turning) in perfect alignment. Do that many, many times. When you can succeed with every releve, try the turn -- DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.

Now visualize: play a movie in your head of the turn, and look at what you did. Just look, without thinking. Look at your hips. Look at your arms. Look at your knees. Look at your head.

Now do the turn again, right away, without thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:00 am 

i find that one thing that i have to always remember is that, if your placement is good (can you hold a passe releve? that is a good indication you are on track), it takes MUCH LESS EFFORT THAN YOU THINK IT DOES. when i am not landing my pirouettes, 9 times out of 10 i am messing myself up by trying to apply too much rotation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:49 pm 

Good point Ari.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:45 am 

I'll echo Gina's comments about spotting. This element is SO important, particularly when building to multiples. I might add that the spot needs to be quick -- the faster you can bring your head around, the quicker your turns will be. Be sure to relax your neck to do this; any tension will slow you down. :D

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]