public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFBs 'Giselle'
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 11:33 pm 

Here's a review of SFB's 'Giselle' with the author very impressed with Lorena Feijoo's debut in the role and the production in general. Has anyone seen this new production?<P> <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/02/28/DD51776.DTL" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/02/28/DD51776.DTL</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SFBs 'Giselle'
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 11:39 am 

Of course I've seen this production, once last season, once in the summer, and twice recently... Yes, I am a groupie. I have even been called that by no less than the publisher of a prominent magazine (I wonder if she's reading this). Sigh.<P>My summary impressions.<P>The corps: much improved from last season but still a few synchronization problems in Act I; Julie Diana and Leslie Young were elegant wilis princesses;<P>Peasant Pas de Cinq (as opposed to the PDD): Kristin Long was superb; Guennadi Nedviguine was spectacular; Michael Eaton was a little off; Sheri LeBlanc looked a little unethusiastic; Vanessa Zahorian looked pretty but stayed in the air a bit too long.<P>Giselles: Joanna Berman was almost perfect; Tina LeBlanc had her moments; Yuan Yuan Tan was amazingly light as a spirit.<P>Myrtha: Muriel Maffre was very, very elegant and airy but maybe a bit off musical; Lorena Feijoo (yes, she danced Myrtha in the summer) was not as elegant but very musical.<P>Albrecht: Vadim Solomakha was cute in a boyish way; Cyril Pierre was very good; Parrish Maynard was a revelation in spite of a few thuddy landings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 11:41 am 

Azlan<P>David has a new piece debuting either the end of Mar or beginning of April. If you see him, tell him your a friend. I also want your straight up comments.<P>Also, what did you mean Tina Leblanc "had her moments"?<P>It's also always nice to hear good things about Ms. Diana. I'm a big fan.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2000 11:54 am 

Big whoops! In regards to Tina LeBlanc, I meant to say that she was good but had a few moments in which she seemed a little off or unsure. In one instance I recall, she had to adjust her hand to reach her partner's but that could have been the partner's fault.<P>I'll say hi to David when/if I see him. His work will be premiered along with those from five other young dancer/choreographers in SF Ballet's two Discovery programs.

Profile E-mail